Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Implications of Calvinism

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't think Olson does a particularly good job of arguing against Calvinism, even though he's probably the most well known critic of it out there. Most of his arguments fall into two categories: 1) Philosophical arguments inaccessible to most lay readers or 2) Emotional rants about people being in hell without being able to avoid it. This is where what I said earlier about my views on hell making this not a problem for me. I would like to see him interact more with the actual exegetical arguments used for Calvinism.

(Incidentally, I prefer the term "monergism" to "Calvinism". It was just one small part of what John Calvin wrote about, and the idea goes back at least as far as Augustine, anyway.)
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I don't think Olson does a particularly good job of arguing against Calvinism, even though he's probably the most well known critic of it out there. Most of his arguments fall into two categories: 1) Philosophical arguments inaccessible to most lay readers or 2) Emotional rants about people being in hell without being able to avoid it. This is where what I said earlier about my views on hell making this not a problem for me. I would like to see him interact more with the actual exegetical arguments used for Calvinism.

(Incidentally, I prefer the term "monergism" to "Calvinism". It was just one small part of what John Calvin wrote about, and the idea goes back at least as far as Augustine, anyway.)
    Pelagianism is also monergism.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Yeah. But he seems to be mostly a historical theologian and philosopher, not a Systematic or Biblical theologian or Biblical scholar.

That's a good point. But you never can get away from the need to define terms. Even many Arminians agree that God is the "only One" doing the "work" of salvation, even while affirming that in some sense we "cooperate" with Him.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."