Book Plunge: The Orthodox Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    I will have to wait for those. My limit of ILL books has been reached for the time being until I pick more up and turn more in.
    As JB will attest, McGuckin is not a fast read. I use my Amazon wish list as a convenient stash for listing books I want to read; I try to limit my actual purchases these days to patristics translations.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Yeah, it needs more description. It's hard to describe succinctly, because the books are by different authors and there's been more than one editor. It's also incomplete.

The lead book is Formation And Struggles: The Church Ad 33-450: the Birth of the Church Ad 33-200 by Vesilin Kesich - this is easily the weakest book in the series
      Imperial Unity and Christian Divisions: The Church 450-680 A.D. (The Church in History) by John Meyendorff
      Greek East And Latin West: The Church AD 681-1071 (The Church in History) by Andrew Louth
      The Christian East and the Rise of the Papacy: The Church 1071-1453 A.D (Church History) by Aristeides Papadakis

You might also be interested in Orthodox Christianity Volume I: The History and Canonical Structure of the Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev - I have the first two of four volumes, but haven't gotten around to reading them yet.
      **extra sarcasm level on**

No Orthodox Christianity for Dummies? Ya'll need to get with the program, this is 2018.

** extra sarcasm level off**

More seriously, I actually am glad there is not.

Comment