Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Split off of Wilkowsky's posts in Christianity 201

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Academics aren't aliens, have biases and may or may not incorporate an historical perspective - eliminating 2 of the three criteria and in some cases all three. I presume you meant 'independent' and not 'outside' but that's still a highly relative term. Unbiased is almost non-existent - and in this case, the few exceptions probably don't apply.

I propose that your criteria are silly. Of course all examiners will have bias - which is fine so long as they acknowledge it and minimize as much as possible. The chances of a truly independent examiner are tiny - most people have some investment in their religious beliefs/background - which is also fine as long as it is acknowledged and minimized (or at least pointed out when not possible). Presuming that an ivory tower shields the occupant from human foible is silly. Doing so to the degree that one excludes all other observers is foolish.
    No, of course, historians are not aliens, but like science, academic history has a good track record over time and not dependent on the fallibility and bias of individuals. History and science is dependent on good academic standards, and peer review over time. When I study the results of the research I use a collective balanced approach, and recognize that our knowledge evolves over time.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

So we agree - we minimize the bias but don't believe in the ridiculous notion of perfect human impartiality.

Knowledge may grow over time and it may be corrected - but it doesn't 'evolve' in the colloquial sense of the term.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

So we agree - we minimize the bias but don't believe in the ridiculous notion of perfect human impartiality.

Knowledge may grow over time and it may be corrected - but it doesn't 'evolve' in the colloquial sense of the term.
        Since when did ever propose the 'ridiculous notion of perfect human impartiality.'
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

"Unbiased" - humans don't come in that size.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

"Unbiased" - humans don't come in that size.
            I did not refer to individual humans. Like science, academic history as whole does not have the level of bias that individual may have. I pretty much rely on a consensus, and not individual historians, also the reasons they give for their conclusions is important. The same goes for science. The question relates to what is the 'best' explanation, which may take several scenarios into consideration. When making this judgment it is best that religious belief not contribute to bias.

Frank

Comment

There's something besides a human with an historical perspective? I thought we agreed academics aren't aliens...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X