Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Stare...

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    How do you know that it is an ability that most people have, or if it is a phenomenon that only presents itself at particular times under particular conditions?
    Well, depending on how narrow you make those conditions in principle it could still be tested for, it would just be rare and increasingly difficult to show that it was a real phenomenon and not merely just chance and human bias.

The question is why you'd think all the special circumstances has to be there?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I don't know, perhaps the mind has to be in a certain mode or thinking or non-thinking pattern...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I remember back when I was little watching a Lassie movie, and the dog was looking at the boy in school through a window. After a while furrowed his brow and looked outside, having felt her watching him.

I think we've all felt something like that.

It is a strange phenomenon. However when its tested in double-blinded controlled experiments, there's nothing to find. This means that whatever evidence we have, it indicates that there's no effect.

Its not a matter of the science being a mean old judge seer. Its just that if you actually test it, this is what we find. I choose to base my beliefs on scientific evidence.

That still leaves us with the phenomenon. Just because we can't actually cause someone else to feel that someone is watching them, at a higher degree than chance, doesn't mean that there's no a social phenomenon. Why do we perceive this thing that you describe?

I personally think its a bit of the gamblers fallacy. We tend to remember the hits, and never the misses. That can leave someone with the false impression that they can make people sense that they're being looked at.
    Or the parameters aren't well enough understood to properly design the experiment.

There are a lot of things we are only just beginning to understand - it's best not to utterly dismiss something not well understood on the basis of a few experiments - that can come back to bite. It's also perfectly okay to be satisfied with the results and go find other toys to play with.

'Science' has a bad habit of telling people what they know - and occasionally finding out that experience is more than an inconvenience to be dismissed when it conflicts with your results. We ended up with the gorilla and a few other critters that way. Not to mention the thing with eggs...

5. Amen seer, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well, depending on how narrow you make those conditions in principle it could still be tested for, it would just be rare and increasingly difficult to show that it was a real phenomenon and not merely just chance and human bias.

Not really a fair question, Leo - Seer's point should have been covered in the methodology either as how it was taken into account or why it was not.

I don't actually accept the existence of ESP - but I've seen some of the studies refuting it and the methodology on some was horrid - Venkman's has more merit than one of the things I read. Little wonder that proponents take the science with a large grain of salt.

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    How do you know that it is an ability that most people have, or if it is a phenomenon that only presents itself at particular times under particular conditions?
    I just passed an ad’ for the nut nut’s nut and thought of you. How spooky is that?
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    I just passed an ad’ for the nut nut’s nut and thought of you. How spooky is that?
    I'm staring at you right now FF - can you sense it?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I suspect what is happening is a reaction to subliminal observations.

When I was in college in San Francisco long ago I spotted someone tailing me in the crowded streets of the city.. I later decided it was the FBI. My room mate was the grandson of some Jews who had left Russia to live in the USA. My room mate had visited a Russian book store a day or two earlier. That afternoon I say a car parked across the street from our apartment with two men parked in it. Nothing odd about that except when they saw me looking at them they drove away and a little later parked a ways up the hill from us, still across the street. Am I super observant or did something I picked up on without realizing it give them away?
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    I suspect what is happening is a reaction to subliminal observations.

When I was in college in San Francisco long ago I spotted someone tailing me in the crowded streets of the city.. I later decided it was the FBI. My room mate was the grandson of some Jews who had left Russia to live in the USA. My room mate had visited a Russian book store a day or two earlier. That afternoon I say a car parked across the street from our apartment with two men parked in it. Nothing odd about that except when they saw me looking at them they drove away and a little later parked a ways up the hill from us, still across the street. Am I super observant or did something I picked up on without realizing it give them away?
    You were using your spidey sense...

11. Amen Jedidiah, Teallaura, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    While you can argue that more and better tests are needed before anything can be said conclusively the incontrovertible fact remains that all studies that have looked into it have found nothing.

I'll also note that the many times that someone turns around and there is nobody looking their way -- or even anyone behind them at all -- tends to get forgotten and the time that someone was looking at them (or merely in their direction) tends to get remembered. A similar phenomena has been repeatedly documented wrt those who claim to be psychic and rattle of a list of things asking if they mean anything and the subject forgets about the half dozen or more misses and focuses on the one hit (study cold reading for how this works)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

13. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.