Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Stare...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    While you can argue that more and better tests are needed before anything can be said conclusively the incontrovertible fact remains that all studies that have looked into it have found nothing.

I'll also note that the many times that someone turns around and there is nobody looking their way -- or even anyone behind them at all -- tends to get forgotten and the time that someone was looking at them (or merely in their direction) tends to get remembered. A similar phenomena has been repeatedly documented wrt those who claim to be psychic and rattle of a list of things asking if they mean anything and the subject forgets about the half dozen or more misses and focuses on the one hit (study cold reading for how this works)
    Which doesn't disprove the posit that the experiments might not be designed correctly for what they are trying to measure. As I recall, most studies begin with the premise that everyone may have some such capacity - and the few that don't tend to pull skewed samples (which FYI isn't necessarily a deliberate fault but a natural issue of limited pops).

It could be bias as you mention - but it could also be a research bias that presumes experience must necessarily be flawed if experimental data does not match - regardless of whether or not the experiment is externally valid (some simply aren't).

Alternatively, both could be wrong - there may be an actual phenomena but it's not what anyone currently thinks it is. (I strongly suspect this explanation in some reported cases of telepathy.)

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Which doesn't disprove the posit that the experiments might not be designed correctly for what they are trying to measure.
      Which is what I meant by
      While you can argue that more and better tests are needed before anything can be said conclusively the incontrovertible fact remains that all studies that have looked into it have found nothing.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Which is what I meant by
        Um, you do realize we're not saying the same thing, right? You're being dismissive at the very least - and your 'incontrovertible fact' (which isn't, actually - there have been positive results reported - I wasn't impressed with the methodologies of those I read, either) doesn't prove that those studies are in fact correct.

My point is that while it's fine to go with the existing lit, it's not smart to paint the brush too broadly.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I've seen tests from both sides of the issue of psychic abilities that are utter crap.

For instance, nearly all those that have found that it might be real have neglected to take into account that the subjects could be cheating. That is where employing magicians to monitor or even help design the tests has proved invaluable. They're familiar with just about every conceivable way to fake it. It was various magicians who exposed Uri Geller as a total fraud.

OTOH, I've seen a test designed by the Amazing Randi that sucked as well. One concerning dowsing was set up so if the subject didn't get everything right it was scored as a failure and stopped at the first miss.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'd say that is very different since there is no way to test for that. People being able to sense being stared at... Even Middle School kids could design a test for it.
            What if it only works when people have The Evil Eye™?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              What if it only works when people have The Evil Eye™?

We keep telling you, bathe once a week and people stop staring at you (before they run off to throw up...).

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

We keep telling you, bathe once a week and people stop staring at you (before they run off to throw up...).
                Be fair now. When he's upwind (in hurricane conditions) that only happens when someone gets within 15'

Comment

Be fair now. When he's upwind (in hurricane conditions) that only happens when someone gets within 15'

No, no - you got it wrong again. A single apostrophe indicates feet - you want a double apostrophe for inches.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

No, no - you got it wrong again. A single apostrophe indicates feet - you want a double apostrophe for inches.
                    The stench exudes further than 15"

Comment

The stench exudes further than 15"
                      True, but ground zero for having to barf starts even closer (how you GET even closer is a mystery....)

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

True, but ground zero for having to barf starts even closer (how you GET even closer is a mystery....)

NBC suits start dissolving when within 2'

Comment

This thread is about me right?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            This thread is about me right?
                            No, not at all. What gave you that idea?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

One concerning dowsing was set up so if the subject didn't get everything right it was scored as a failure and stopped at the first miss.
                              It worked on the inmates in Guantanamo.
                              When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                You are assuming that something like this could be tested for. You are actually adding another dynamic that may influence this intuitive response.
                                This is why we must hasten the development of the Heisenberg Compensator.
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment