Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Conservatives Believe Their Lives are More Meaningful Than Liberals...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conservatives Believe Their Lives are More Meaningful Than Liberals...

Interesting...

What is the meaning of life?

If you struggle to come up with an answer to the age-old conundrum, you could blame your left-leaning political ideologies, as new research claims that conservatives are more likely to have an established sense of their life purpose than liberals.

According to the University of California study, which analysed a series of surveys across 16 countries, those with liberal beliefs are more likely to be in a perpetual state of searching for meaning than their right-wing counterparts.

"Finding meaning in life is related to the sense or feeling that things are the way they should be, and that there is a sense of order," commented co-author David Newman.

"If life feels chaotic, then that would likely dampen your sense that life is meaningful."

Researchers examined data acquired from five studies looking at how liberals and conservatives rate their lives in terms of meaning and purpose in a dataset spanning four decades.

Participants were asked to rate their political beliefs on a spectrum, ranging from “extremely conservative” to “extremely liberal” and were subsequently asked to respond to statements questioning the extent to which they felt their lives had purpose such as “I understand my life’s meaning”.

The study’s authors accounted for religious beliefs when analysing the responses and still found strong links between those with conservative ideologies having a stronger sense of purpose compared to liberals.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8452446.html

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1...48550618768241
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

I believe my life is far more meaningful now than it was when I was a conservative Christian. Statistics about what others feel on a subjective level does nothing to change that.

You usually don't put much trust in subjective perspectives, seer. How does this differ?
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
      You usually don't put much trust in subjective perspectives, seer. How does this differ?
      He likes the answer and can start a troll thread.

Comment

I would like to see the questions though- can't find them in the links above, but may have missed them.

If it's as simple as a question regarding 'ultimate' or 'objective' meaning to life then I would find the results unsurprising.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Interesting...
          Meh. Note that "conservative" and "liberal" tend to connote different ideas abroad than in the US.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
            He likes the answer and can start a troll thread.
            And here you are.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              And here you are.
              He fell into my evil trap!
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Yeah, I'm a sucker for seer's troll threads.

Comment

We all gotta get our jollies somehow.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Thank you, thank you very much!

Comment

Seriously though- what was the questions? I'd be interested in taking this test!

Is it like those 'what bread are you' quizzes they put on Facebook so they can mine your data?

Comment

Seriously though- what was the questions? I'd be interested in taking this test!

Is it like those 'what bread are you' quizzes they put on Facebook so they can mine your data?
                        I did find this:

The relation between conservatism and life satisfaction might be dependent upon neuroticism levels. The present study was conducted to test this possibility in a state-level analysis.”

McCann analyzed data from Rentfrow’s study, Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, U.S. Census Bureau, CBS News and the New York Times polls, and the presidential election results from 2000 to 2008.

He found that differences in the levels of neuroticism in each state could account for the state-level association between higher conservatism and higher life satisfaction. Other factors he examined, including socioeconomic status, did not account for the association.

“The results of the present study strongly suggest that there is nothing inherent in a conservative worldview as opposed to a liberal worldview that promotes greater happiness and life satisfaction,” McCann explained. “Rather it is the underlying higher neuroticism that tends to be more likely in liberals and the underlying lower neuroticism that tends to be more likely in conservatives that accounts for the greater happiness and life satisfaction in conservatives.”
                        https://www.psypost.org/2017/09/stud...-happier-49627

Comment

I see what you did there!

Fool me once, etc.

Comment

I see what you did there!

Fool me once, etc.
                            Well I haven't been able to find the questions. But it wouldn't matter, you would still be unhappy...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Well I haven't been able to find the questions. But it wouldn't matter, you would still be unhappy...
                              Probably

Comment