Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Marriage & Beliefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
    These questions are so hard to answer in the abstract. I was never in this position; my first serious girlfriend has been my wife for, um, a while. Like most Christians, she's not as doctrinally inclined as the people who hang out on this board. It would be difficult to marry someone who strongly holds differences on some things. I'm glad I am married to a Calvinist, but I wouldn't have ruled out a friendly Arminian automatically.

Thanks for your thoughts, RBerman. I suppose there would have to be a kind of a "testing of the waters" as it were, wouldn't there? It just seems to me that a staunch Arminian would ultimately not have been a good choice of a mate for someone who adheres to the Westminster Confession of Faith, however lovely she might be.
    Last edited by The Remonstrant; 04-27-2014, 10:30 AM.
    For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
      Thanks for your thoughts, RBerman. I suppose there would have to be a kind of a "testing of the waters" as it were, wouldn't there? It just seems to me that a staunch Arminian would ultimately not have been a good choice of a mate for someone who adheres to the Westminster Confession of Faith, however lovely she might be.
      If one party were not particularly staunch, it probably would not be a big area of conflict. Even if both were staunch, it might still work. So many other factors play into a successful marriage, and conflict resolution skills are crucial regardless of the particular issue at stake.

Comment

While orthodoxy is important, I think orthopraxy is worthy of a mention as well. In fact, I would argue in most cases it would be the first thing one would look for in a potential mate before learning their specific theological stances.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          While orthodoxy is important, I think orthopraxy is worthy of a mention as well. In fact, I would argue in most cases it would be the first thing one would look for in a potential mate before learning their specific theological stances.
          Agreed.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            With all due respect, I think Foud has a rather "It's all about me" worldview. But I will be happy to be corrected on that.
            What I try to obey:
            1. Be ravished with love for my wife (Proverbs 5:19).
            2. Attempt to love my wife as Christ loved the church (Ephesians 5:25).
            3. I am not to hold any kind of bitterness against my wife (Colossians 3:19).
            4. I am to have a special honor for my wife in my heart (1 Peter 3:7).
            Last edited by foudroyant; 04-27-2014, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
              What I try to obey:
              1. Be ravished with love for my wife (Proverbs 5:19).
              2. Attempt to love my wife as Christ loved the church (Ephesians 5:25).
              3. I am not to hold any kind of bitterness against my wife (Colossians 3:19).
              4. I am to have a special honor for my wife in my heart (1 Peter 3:7).
              I shall abide by the OP's wishes and refrain from....

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  Yes, I believe I hinted at this in the first sentence of the opening post when I mentioned the importance of one's character:

I recognize a potential spouse's character is of utmost importance and do not seek to minimize this consideration, but where do you personally draw clear doctrinal lines as to what is acceptable or unacceptable to you personally before seeking or choosing a marriage partner? [Emphasis added.]
                  For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Yes, I believe I hinted at this in the first sentence of the opening post when I mentioned the importance of one's character:
                    Indeed. I suspect it can be easy for those of us who are very theologically inclined to be tempted to overlook that sort of thing, as basic as it really is.

My stance, when I was single, was more or less not to minor all that much on the particulars of theology, but it was important that a prospective mate be open to theology/scholarly work/etc. and open to putting this kind of thing into practice. It's surprising how many professing Christians out there will acknowledge what they read in the Bible but simply diverge. I remember being on one first date in the past where the person indicated that she could not date me because as a seminary student, she knew she would be in a pastoral role for homosexuals, and my acknowledgement that homosexual activity is sinful could not be overcome (I still do not understand the logic of this), and another where the person began talking about how "some areas are gray" in theology. In context, I knew she was referring to the exact same issue.

Maybe it's just the way my mind works, I don't know.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      I'd want someone who'd at least be willing to attend church with me, even if she didn't convert to Orthodoxy; I believe worshiping together is quite important, and I see the stress on couples who attend different churches. I'm flexible on anything that hasn't been dogmatically defined by the seven Ecumenical Councils.
                      Does that mean always attend the same church or often enough willing?
                      I am become death...

Comment

Originally posted by Anastasia Dragule View Post
                        Does that mean always attend the same church or often enough willing?
                        Sticking with one would be far preferable.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I think my spouse's adherence to core Christianity would be the ultimate line in the sand for me. That having been said, as far as preference, I would naturally want a spouse that has similar secondary beliefs. This is more for sake of compatibility. While issues can be worked through, there is enough problems in life without adding to them.

Comment