Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I cover my head when praying with Protestants?

Faith
    Armo/Copticish
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Should I cover my head when praying with Protestants?

Should I cover my head when praying with Protestants? (P.s. most i know are material, not formal, herretics and go to Protestant/evangelical churches.)
    I am become death...

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ooh, there's a dangerous topic. Even among Orthodox, that can be a vicious fight.

What's the difference between a material and a formal heretic?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Begome Ordodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Ooh, there's a dangerous topic. Even among Orthodox, that can be a vicious fight.

What's the difference between a material and a formal heretic?
    iirc from Catholic Answers (not sure how this would necessarily translate into Orthodoxy... since from what I understand we don't normally break down into such minutiae... not the way that Catholics do, at least, lol) a formal heretic would be one who has officially broken off from the Church, e.g., Martin Luther (from a Catholic perspective). A material heretic would be someone who holds heretical beliefs but has not formally left the Church, typically because they never belonged to the Church to begin with, e.g., most Protestants today.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Faith
    Begome Ordodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    For the record, I don't normally cover my head anyway, but I go to an Antiochian church where very few women cover. It's mostly the Ethiopian immigrants. Actually, more women at my Western Rite parish cover, and the vast majority of the population there is families that converted from the Episcopal church.

I read once that we should not pray with Protestants, though we can pray at the same time... but as OBP said it's hugely contentious and my priest told me to run things by him before following something that sounds really strict.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    IMO, covering one's head in prayer as a woman is a pious custom of 2,000 years' standing - but when the church was formed, I understand that only prostitutes didn't cover their heads, and that's totally not the custom today.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Begome Ordodox
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    IMO, covering one's head in prayer as a woman is a pious custom of 2,000 years' standing - but when the church was formed, I understand that only prostitutes didn't cover their heads, and that's totally not the custom today.
    I mean, I have covered before (as an Anglican, interestingly enough) and I like it as a piety thing, tbh. But it's also in a super minority where I am, so I haven't thus far where I'm at.

Katniss Everdeen

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are you addressing the question only to fellow Orthodox, or to us heretics as well?
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

8. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Dragule View Post
    Should I cover my head when praying with Protestants? (P.s. most i know are material, not formal, herretics and go to Protestant/evangelical churches.)
    If you feel led to cover it, why not?

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

10. Amen Cow Poke, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Armo/Copticish
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Are you addressing the question only to fellow Orthodox, or to us heretics as well?
    Heretics may join. I am sure I am a little bit of a heretic myself.
    Last edited by Ana Dragule; 07-21-2018 at 10:43 PM.
    I am become death...

Faith
    Full Gospel Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Dragule View Post
    Heretics may join. I am sure I am a little bit of a heretic myself.
    Thanks.

For now, just a few quick(?) questions: Is covering a common practice among the Orthodox? If so, what is the basis? 1 Cor. 11? (The notes in my Orthodox Study Bible do not address that portion of 1 Cor. 11 at all.)

(Background FWIW: There is here at TW a long-dormant thread about "Complementarianism vs. Egalitarianism." I'd promised a reply, but life interrupted me. But I have left the tab open all this time, so I'll keep seeing it nagging me. Recently I've returned to it by studying and composing a post offline. 1 Cor. 11 comes up of course. Now you've gotten me curious about the OC angle. I have yet to see any NT scholar address the fact that it was apparently a long-standing tradition in some "old" branches of Christianity. I'm going to try to dig into that.)
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Nationalist.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."