Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I cover my head when praying with Protestants?

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Thanks.

For now, just a few quick(?) questions: Is covering a common practice among the Orthodox?
    In some jurisdictions (i.e., Russian), a woman must have her head covered in order to receive the Eucharist; it others, it has become rather uncommon.
    If so, what is the basis?
    Here's an article from the Russian perspective. Short answer, 1) because it's a tradition stretching all the way back to Genesis that women cover their hair, and 2) on account of a woman's honor and because of the angels (1 Cor 11). The article has a few patristic quotes dwelling on the latter.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Armo/Copticish
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Thanks.

For now, just a few quick(?) questions: Is covering a common practice among the Orthodox? If so, what is the basis? 1 Cor. 11? (The notes in my Orthodox Study Bible do not address that portion of 1 Cor. 11 at all.)

(Background FWIW: There is here at TW a long-dormant thread about "Complementarianism vs. Egalitarianism." I'd promised a reply, but life interrupted me. But I have left the tab open all this time, so I'll keep seeing it nagging me. Recently I've returned to it by studying and composing a post offline. 1 Cor. 11 comes up of course. Now you've gotten me curious about the OC angle. I have yet to see any NT scholar address the fact that it was apparently a long-standing tradition in some "old" branches of Christianity. I'm going to try to dig into that.)
    It is in Orthodox Churches (Armenian during the Eucharist, Coptic during liturgy (with Eucharist) and Vespers, Antiochian during liturgy and vespers...), however, it is not common in Protestant ones (unless you count Messianic women who cover if married)
    Last edited by Ana Dragule; 08-12-2018 at 07:38 AM.
    I am become death...