Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Should I cover my head when praying with Protestants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I cover my head when praying with Protestants?

Should I cover my head when praying with Protestants? (P.s. most i know are material, not formal, herretics and go to Protestant/evangelical churches.)
    I am become death...

Ooh, there's a dangerous topic. Even among Orthodox, that can be a vicious fight.

What's the difference between a material and a formal heretic?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Ooh, there's a dangerous topic. Even among Orthodox, that can be a vicious fight.

What's the difference between a material and a formal heretic?
      iirc from Catholic Answers (not sure how this would necessarily translate into Orthodoxy... since from what I understand we don't normally break down into such minutiae... not the way that Catholics do, at least, lol) a formal heretic would be one who has officially broken off from the Church, e.g., Martin Luther (from a Catholic perspective). A material heretic would be someone who holds heretical beliefs but has not formally left the Church, typically because they never belonged to the Church to begin with, e.g., most Protestants today.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
      "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
      Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

For the record, I don't normally cover my head anyway, but I go to an Antiochian church where very few women cover. It's mostly the Ethiopian immigrants. Actually, more women at my Western Rite parish cover, and the vast majority of the population there is families that converted from the Episcopal church.

I read once that we should not pray with Protestants, though we can pray at the same time... but as OBP said it's hugely contentious and my priest told me to run things by him before following something that sounds really strict.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
        Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

IMO, covering one's head in prayer as a woman is a pious custom of 2,000 years' standing - but when the church was formed, I understand that only prostitutes didn't cover their heads, and that's totally not the custom today.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            IMO, covering one's head in prayer as a woman is a pious custom of 2,000 years' standing - but when the church was formed, I understand that only prostitutes didn't cover their heads, and that's totally not the custom today.
            I mean, I have covered before (as an Anglican, interestingly enough) and I like it as a piety thing, tbh. But it's also in a super minority where I am, so I haven't thus far where I'm at.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment

Are you addressing the question only to fellow Orthodox, or to us heretics as well?
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
                Should I cover my head when praying with Protestants? (P.s. most i know are material, not formal, herretics and go to Protestant/evangelical churches.)
                If you feel led to cover it, why not?
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                  Are you addressing the question only to fellow Orthodox, or to us heretics as well?
                  Heretics may join. I am sure I am a little bit of a heretic myself.
                  Last edited by Ana Dragule; 07-21-2018, 11:43 PM.
                  I am become death...

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
                    Heretics may join. I am sure I am a little bit of a heretic myself.
                    Thanks.

For now, just a few quick(?) questions: Is covering a common practice among the Orthodox? If so, what is the basis? 1 Cor. 11? (The notes in my Orthodox Study Bible do not address that portion of 1 Cor. 11 at all.)

(Background FWIW: There is here at TW a long-dormant thread about "Complementarianism vs. Egalitarianism." I'd promised a reply, but life interrupted me. But I have left the tab open all this time, so I'll keep seeing it nagging me. Recently I've returned to it by studying and composing a post offline. 1 Cor. 11 comes up of course. Now you've gotten me curious about the OC angle. I have yet to see any NT scholar address the fact that it was apparently a long-standing tradition in some "old" branches of Christianity. I'm going to try to dig into that.)
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Thanks.

For now, just a few quick(?) questions: Is covering a common practice among the Orthodox?
                      In some jurisdictions (i.e., Russian), a woman must have her head covered in order to receive the Eucharist; it others, it has become rather uncommon.
                      If so, what is the basis?
                      Here's an article from the Russian perspective. Short answer, 1) because it's a tradition stretching all the way back to Genesis that women cover their hair, and 2) on account of a woman's honor and because of the angels (1 Cor 11). The article has a few patristic quotes dwelling on the latter.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks.

For now, just a few quick(?) questions: Is covering a common practice among the Orthodox? If so, what is the basis? 1 Cor. 11? (The notes in my Orthodox Study Bible do not address that portion of 1 Cor. 11 at all.)

(Background FWIW: There is here at TW a long-dormant thread about "Complementarianism vs. Egalitarianism." I'd promised a reply, but life interrupted me. But I have left the tab open all this time, so I'll keep seeing it nagging me. Recently I've returned to it by studying and composing a post offline. 1 Cor. 11 comes up of course. Now you've gotten me curious about the OC angle. I have yet to see any NT scholar address the fact that it was apparently a long-standing tradition in some "old" branches of Christianity. I'm going to try to dig into that.)
                        It is in Orthodox Churches (Armenian during the Eucharist, Coptic during liturgy (with Eucharist) and Vespers, Antiochian during liturgy and vespers...), however, it is not common in Protestant ones (unless you count Messianic women who cover if married)
                        Last edited by Ana Dragule; 08-12-2018, 02:38 AM.
                        I am become death...

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X