Exploratory Thread: A Friend In Need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    OK. Just treat me as a complete newb. I haven't played in over 20 years and even then I had to have help! If it is too much trouble I will bow out and wait for a newbie game if someone wants to start that.

I was going to go all pirate mode, but we apparently already have a rogue character so I will be a ranger. or maybe something even more basic so I don't have to worry about spells and stuff.
    Rangers have spells.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Ranger has somewhat limited spells, mostly buffs, heals, a few nature-related effects. It's a class that CAN cast spells, but spells aren't the main selling point. There could also be room for a combat-focused rogue, since CV is going for a charisma/skill-based build. Monk and fighter are also options.

Overall, I'd advocate for ranger. Go for two-weapon fighting, using either a cutlass (scimitar) and light weapon (for strength build), or rapier and light weapon (for dex build). Take a dire rat as animal companion and pretend it's a giant possum, or a bird-type companion and pretend it's a parrot.
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
        Ranger has somewhat limited spells, mostly buffs, heals, a few nature-related effects. It's a class that CAN cast spells, but spells aren't the main selling point. There could also be room for a combat-focused rogue, since CV is going for a charisma/skill-based build. Monk and fighter are also options.

Overall, I'd advocate for ranger. Go for two-weapon fighting, using either a cutlass (scimitar) and light weapon (for strength build), or rapier and light weapon (for dex build). Take a dire rat as animal companion and pretend it's a giant possum, or a bird-type companion and pretend it's a parrot.
        IIRC a Dire Eagle was listed as a possible animal companion for Druids even at lower levels. He could even call it Polly. Then of course there is a Roc... He could sit on its shoulder

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well I figure as a ranger I would have some basic healing spells. Since nobody is choosing to be a cleric so far.

So are we doing 3.5 then? And is there a character generator for 3.5? Cuz other than the basic stats Teal just talked about, I have no idea how to get a character created, as far as skills, etc.

Or even what stats I should put most points in. Or even what the difference in a character in 3.5 or 5e would be.

Comment

I prolly should note that in 5e a pirate's hook does 1d4 damage (plus any Strength bonus) and is considered a simple (light) melee weapon. Perfect for two-weapon melee but would, I think, make using a bow (so often associated with Rangers) a bit difficult.

Comment

Does the wonky magic also effect potions? Even those stored in leaded flasks?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I prolly should note that in 5e a pirate's hook does 1d4 damage (plus any Strength bonus) and is considered a simple (light) melee weapon. Perfect for two-weapon melee but would, I think, make using a bow (so often associated with Rangers) a bit difficult.
                I don't think I will be playing a typical pirate. More like Robin Hood.

But I don't even know what the best race would be, what the various modifiers are,etc. Totally lost here.

Comment

I don't think I will be playing a typical pirate. More like Robin Hood.

But I don't even know what the best race would be, what the various modifiers are,etc. Totally lost here.
                  It depends on just what sort of Ranger you want to be. Sticking with just the "basic" races, Dwarves, Half-Orcs and Humans are good choices for melee while Humans, Elves, Half-Elves and Halflings are good for archers or missile-weapon users. There are so many "exotic" races available that I wouldn't even know where to start. Oh, and if you want to emphasize tracking Elves, Half-Elves and Humans.

Once you decide on what type of Ranger you want to be you can start worrying about feats and skills
                  Last edited by rogue06; 08-01-2018, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    It depends on just what sort of Ranger you want to be. Sticking with just the "basic" races, Dwarves, Half-Orcs and Humans are good choices for melee while Humans, Elves, Half-Elves and Halflings are good for archers or missile-weapon users. There are so many "exotic" races available that I wouldn't even know where to start. Oh, and if you want to emphasize tracking Elves, Half-Elves and Humans.

Once you decide on what type of Ranger you want to be you can start worrying about feats and skills
                    Which is why I was asking about character generators to help out. I found some for 5e.

Comment

I use this to generate basic character sheets: http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.html

and this as a reference: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

For race, I'd say human, elf, half-elf, or maaaaybe halfling or dwarf. We're gonna be high-enough level that the racial adjustments and age penalties probably won't be THAT big of a deal, but those are probably the best options.

Comment

I use this to generate basic character sheets: http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.html

and this as a reference: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

For race, I'd say human, elf, half-elf, or maaaaybe halfling or dwarf. We're gonna be high-enough level that the racial adjustments and age penalties probably won't be THAT big of a deal, but those are probably the best options.
                        OK but I have no idea how to spend my skill points or the feats or any such stuff.

maybe I should just sit it out. getting way too complicated.

Comment

If you're worried about skill points and feats, just wait until you get to magic items. I'm still not sure what I want.

Comment

If you're worried about skill points and feats, just wait until you get to magic items. I'm still not sure what I want.
                            Maybe I should just have Teal create a character for me and then I can try to play it.

Comment

Maybe I should just have Teal create a character for me and then I can try to play it.
                              If you want to try something a little less complicated, I'm either going to be running a Savage Worlds game (I've built characters for people in five minutes), or a Spelljammer* game using a system called, "Stars Without Number: Revised Edition" (d20/Traveller Hybrid with it's own flavor).

*D&D in Space, basically. It's a REALLY trippy concept that I've been fascinated with.
                              Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                                If you want to try something a little less complicated, I'm either going to be running a Savage Worlds game (I've built characters for people in five minutes), or a Spelljammer* game using a system called, "Stars Without Number: Revised Edition" (d20/Traveller Hybrid with it's own flavor).

*D&D in Space, basically. It's a REALLY trippy concept that I've been fascinated with.
                                Enjoyed Spelljammer back in the AD&D era.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X