Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploratory Thread: A Friend In Need

Game: DnD (open source), 16 - 18th level
    Premise: A band of veteran adventurers reunite to try and save a friend in need. Coming out of retirement or semi-retirement, it has been fifteen years since they last worked together.

Things have changed since they last swung swords and magic together - magic has become increasingly 'wonky' - even high level mages finding familiar spells suddenly acting like a Wand of Wonder instead - with no real predictability to it. Clerics are even worse off - below fifth level, none of them can even get a spell to work and at 16th, they have a 10% failure rate for spells above third level (and an additional 10% every three levels above).

Monsters have the same issues - some (like displacer beasts) can barely manifest themselves at all, let alone attack anyone. Few evil monsters remain - people, however...

Anyone interested?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

I have to say... I'm interested.

Dunno what I'd play yet, but I'd be interested.
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        So... for Attributes... Point Buy? 4d6 Rolls? Array? Is there incentive to play a 16th Level character as opposed to an 18th Level character? Starting Gold?
        Last edited by Chaotic Void; 07-21-2018, 10:39 PM.

Comment

4d6
          16th and 17th can have a second class, much lower than the primary (6th for 16th but 5th for 17th).
          Holding off on the starting gold until I know how many players are interested - but you can safely start with the standard for the level - it will be higher and you will have a chance to adjust accordingly.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

So... all the mages are wild?

Could I dust off my Tome of Magic?
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              So... all the mages are wild?

Could I dust off my Tome of Magic?
              Not exactly. Yes.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Not exactly. Yes.
                If he plays a magic user, I think I might play either a Barbarian frontliner or a Rogue face.

Comment

I'm gonna give it a day or two and then just go with whatever party we have. I am expecting to have to fill in with a few NPCs - but I'm also assuming we might have late comers to the party.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I'm gonna give it a day or two and then just go with whatever party we have. I am expecting to have to fill in with a few NPCs - but I'm also assuming we might have late comers to the party.
                    Internet access is intermittent for me at the moment (out entirely at home due to a flooded basement ); I'll pop in when I can.

Debating whether or not to go dual-class, and what the second class might be.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I'm willing to entertain the idea of playing, though given my level of skill in this game it might be best for me to play as a character who took a few too many blows to the head...
                      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                        I'm willing to entertain the idea of playing, though given my level of skill in this game it might be best for me to play as a character who took a few too many blows to the head...

Oi! Sparty! How you been?!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post

Oi! Sparty! How you been?!
                          Been getting my fill of half-baked religious and political argumentation by moderating a facebook group for the past ~10 months. I also recently spent a month as a long-term sub for 5th and 6th graders. Compared to handling people on facebook who are only interested in finding excuses to look down on each other, managing the students didn't seem so difficult.

I also spend some free time watching a couple of Twitch streams and making bad puns in chat. Unlike facebook users and middle schoolers, people in twitch chat know how to appreciate hard work

I got an essay published on the website of a major Catholic magazine last fall, which was pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                            Been getting my fill of half-baked religious and political argumentation by moderating a facebook group for the past ~10 months. I also recently spent a month as a long-term sub for 5th and 6th graders. Compared to handling people on facebook who are only interested in finding excuses to look down on each other, managing the students didn't seem so difficult.

I also spend some free time watching a couple of Twitch streams and making bad puns in chat. Unlike facebook users and middle schoolers, people in twitch chat know how to appreciate hard work

I got an essay published on the website of a major Catholic magazine last fall, which was pretty cool.
                            Groovy. I've mostly been spending my spare time on a Virtual Tabletop, either as a Player or a GM. Wildrow12 (our former GM from the Mutants and Masterminds days) originally invited me for a Sci-Fi Horror game of his, and we've kinda been in each other's games throughout the last 5 years, alongside other people's games of course.

Also, I have a story where I nearly killed a group of players (not the characters; the actual players).
                            Last edited by Chaotic Void; 07-25-2018, 10:33 PM.

Comment

got 3 general character ideas:
                              1. dwarf fighter (maybe barbarian)
                              2. Half-orc barbarian, running out of savings and starting to feel aging process and, wants to die on his feet with his comrades while he's still strong
                              3. As character 2, but he died in an insufficiently glorious way after un-retiring for above reasons, and instead of being raised normally by a cleric (possibly due to magic becoming less reliable), is reincarnated by a druid as an elf or half-elf, or something like that. The resulting character is no longer over-the-hill, but also no longer intimidating in the way he's used to being. To put it another way, "For the remainder of the film, the role of Conan the Barbarian will be played by Orlando Bloom."
                              Last edited by Spartacus; 07-26-2018, 01:59 AM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X