Exploratory Thread: A Friend In Need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Enjoyed Spelljammer back in the AD&D era.
    I sat in on the last Session of a friend's Homebrew 3.5e Spelljammer game a few months back... it was glorious.
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
      I sat in on the last Session of a friend's Homebrew 3.5e Spelljammer game a few months back... it was glorious.
      We ended up with a force of one Hammership and three Squidships each loaded to the gills.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Well I figure as a ranger I would have some basic healing spells. Since nobody is choosing to be a cleric so far.

So are we doing 3.5 then? And is there a character generator for 3.5? Cuz other than the basic stats Teal just talked about, I have no idea how to get a character created, as far as skills, etc.

Or even what stats I should put most points in. Or even what the difference in a character in 3.5 or 5e would be.
        yes, it's 3.5

I found a character generator here:

Roll the stats yourself (you can use the online dice bag, of course) since I'm not using the standard method and multiply your gold total by three. (Probably best to skip the skill points thing anyway - the only classes i thought might want it didn't and it's not a big enough advantage for a high level ranger).
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
          If you want to try something a little less complicated, I'm either going to be running a Savage Worlds game (I've built characters for people in five minutes), or a Spelljammer* game using a system called, "Stars Without Number: Revised Edition" (d20/Traveller Hybrid with it's own flavor).

*D&D in Space, basically. It's a REALLY trippy concept that I've been fascinated with.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Does the wonky magic also effect potions? Even those stored in leaded flasks?
            Yes, depending on when they were made. Really old potions work as normal (if you can find any - they are SERIOUSLY expensive) but they get less reliable the newer they are.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Maybe I should just have Teal create a character for me and then I can try to play it.
              Roll up a basic character and we'll work from there - you won't learn character creation worth a darn if someone else does it for you - I STILL stink at Champions for this exact reason (well, and it's the most gosh awful complicated piece of words that violate the heck out of Tweb decorum EVER!!!!!!).

Not fond of Champions, can you tell?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                Roll up a basic character and we'll work from there - you won't learn character creation worth a darn if someone else does it for you - I STILL stink at Champions for this exact reason (well, and it's the most gosh awful complicated piece of words that violate the heck out of Tweb decorum EVER!!!!!!).

Not fond of Champions, can you tell?
                Sounds like me and GMing most anything d20-based.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  The system there seems to differ from both 3.5 and 5e (from here). E.g., gnomes get a -2 Str and +2 Con in 3.5, +2 Int in 5e, and -2 Str, +2 Con and +2 Chr in PF. We'll need to pick one.

Skills, I understand you use your skill points and pick skills available to your class(es). Feats? I'm not sure how you assign those.
                  Are we going with d20srd or PF?
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

yes, it's 3.5

I found a character generator here:

Roll the stats yourself (you can use the online dice bag, of course) since I'm not using the standard method and multiply your gold total by three. (Probably best to skip the skill points thing anyway - the only classes i thought might want it didn't and it's not a big enough advantage for a high level ranger).
                    OK I rolled this character. I did not change the gold or anything.

CaptMadjack character.jpg

I am attaching the save file it created if you want that.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Are we going with d20srd or PF?
                      SRD - with an exception made for the pirate boy.

I'm also perfectly fine with everyone switching to PF -IF that's what everyone wants to do. I suspect the differences are negated by the varying classes (some classes faring better in one than the other) but if those who have already rolled up their characters want to switch then I've got no problem with it.

I should have done more research...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

OK I rolled this character. I did not change the gold or anything.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29464[/ATTACH]

I am attaching the save file it created if you want that.
                        Looks good. You have enough funds to buy everything in the stupid equipment list until you get down to ships (you don't need a ship but yes, you can buy one) without the bonus - BUT your actual gold is three times greater, don't forget.

But let's start with skills. One the creator sheet, there's a skills button - when you click it, you'll see how many skill points you have. The skills come with descriptions you can click for - but most are fairly straight forward like 'climb' or 'jump'. A skill rank maks you more likely to succeed in a skill you are attemption - any one can attempt to climb a small cliff but the guiy with several ranks in Climb is a lot less likely to fall off than the guy that doesn't have any.

If you have to start over, just fill in the stats with the ones you have (I presume you already saw how that's done) and it will take it from there.

There are more buttons to explore if you decide to go ahead, that's fine. Otherwise, holler once you have your skills picked out.

FYI: you're high enough level to have a LOT of skill points - you can be as specialized or as general as you wish. You might want to be more specialized at this point - pick out a number of useful skill but not the whole danged list. That will leave some points in reserve to decide what your character is really best at - and to fix problems if you suddenly realize you're the only ranger in the woods who can't ride a horse.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

That will leave some points in reserve to decide what your character is really best at - and to fix problems if you suddenly realize you're the only ranger in the woods who can't ride a horse.
                          Am I really the only one picturing him astride a giant possum that tends to pee on nearly everything -- especially in unintended boots?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

SRD - with an exception made for the pirate boy.

I'm also perfectly fine with everyone switching to PF -IF that's what everyone wants to do. I suspect the differences are negated by the varying classes (some classes faring better in one than the other) but if those who have already rolled up their characters want to switch then I've got no problem with it.

I should have done more research...
                            I'm fine sticking with 3.5e. However, Pathfinder is cool too. Though I may change my class if we go that route.

Comment

Am I really the only one picturing him astride a giant possum that tends to pee on nearly everything -- especially in unintended boots?

No, I'm NOT buying any more brain bleach - I know what you're up to!

Besides, I have chocolate...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I know as much about pathfinder as I do about 5.0, which is to say, next to clueless.

Do you need anything further from me other than magic items?
                                Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X