Exploratory Thread: A Friend In Need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    CV? Have you done much with barbarians? I'm pretty sure the 'non-negotiable' feats are correct but I so rarely roll them up as anything but cannon fodder that I don't really know much about their feats.
    Yeah, any Melee Damage character that isn't a Rogue needs those Mook-Mulching Feats, especially since we're only using the SRD.
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
      Yeah, any Melee Damage character that isn't a Rogue needs those Mook-Mulching Feats, especially since we're only using the SRD.
      Thanks!

If you know a better D&D type that's free, I'm perfectly willing to look into it - this isn't going to be a long campaign so...
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Thanks!

If you know a better D&D type that's free, I'm perfectly willing to look into it - this isn't going to be a long campaign so...
        There's a lot of Free Stuff that's Old-School Revival (OSR), designed to emulate older editions of D&D. I haven't looked at much of it, though.

Comment

Okay, since we have three players, take the standard gold and multiply by three. This is your starting gold.

OR

Divide the total number of your skill points by 4 and add that amount to your skill points.

Example: 18th Level Wizard. total Skill Points 42 (okay, he's a dumb wizard since that's the base minimum for that level). 42/4= 10.5

Round up - this is me being nice.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
            There's a lot of Free Stuff that's Old-School Revival (OSR), designed to emulate older editions of D&D. I haven't looked at much of it, though.
            Cool.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I think this is mostly what I'll go with. Gotta figure out magic items, though. My understanding is that I have 340,000 as my base wealth, possibly tripled. Feel free to correct me before my spending spree

Wex Beram
              Male Half-Elf Barbarian 15/ Fighter 2
              True Neutral (middle of identity crisis)
              Representing Spartacus

Strength 18 (+4)
              Dexterity 14 (+2)
              Constitution18 (+4)
              Intelligence 14 (+2)
              Wisdom 14 (+2)
              Charisma 10 (+0)

Size: Medium
              Height: 5'11"
              Weight: 200 lb
              Skin: Lightly tanned
              Eyes: Gray
              Hair: Shaved
              Total Hit Points: 193

Speed: 30 feet (40 unarmored)

Armor Class: 17 = 10 +5 [breastplate] +2 [dexterity]

Touch AC: 13
              Initiative: +2

Attacks: 21/16/11/6= 15 [barb]+2[fighter]+4[str]

Saves:
              Fort: 16
              Ref: 7
              Will: 7

Languages: Common, Orc, 1 more tdb

Feats (6 form levels, 2 from fighter bonus feats):
              Power Attack
              Cleave
              Great Cleave
              Dodge
              Mobility
              Combat reflexes
              Blind-fight
              Channeled Rage (or improved sunder, or something like that, I don't know)

*Skills*
              Balance: 5=3(cross-class)+2 [dex]
              Climb: 10= 10 ranks +4 str -4 armor
              Intimidate: 20 ranks
              Jump: 10 = 10+4-4
              Listen: 21= 18 ranks+2 [wis]+1 [race]
              Spot: 6= 3(cross-class)+2[wis]+1[race]
              Survival: 20= 18+2
              Swim: 10= 10+4-4

Other features:
              Greater rage, 4/day
              Improved Uncanny Dodge
              DR 3/-
              Trap Sense +5
              Indomitable Will
              +4 to saves against enchantments (half-elf)
              Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Gold looks correct - and yes, it would be tripled. You've been retired or semi-retired (let me know which) for fifteen years at the beginning of the game so you've had time to do some investing, poke in an odd dungeon or two, and otherwise make use of your wealth. What you haven't done is significantly rise in level in that time (for the sake of the story, you can say you gained your fighter levels in that time or whatever, if you like - but you didn't go from 12th to 16th).

Also, characters at high level know people - if they can't manage money well, they know someone who can tell them who can. As long as a character has at least average intelligence, it's assumed they didn't do anything really stupid and weren't swindled (swindling barbarians is a poor business strategy unless you can run really fast anyway).

I'm going to regret this, aren't I?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

... If you have to ask...

Comment

Who told you you could have a real life?!

Just kidding - see you then.

If possible, could you give me an idea of what you're planning? It's not a biggie - it would just let me get some back story stuff done (it's not like I can't later). Also, it would let me make a couple decisions that the others need.

As soon as we have characters - assuming no one else pipes up - we'll get started.
                      Oh, how about I do a 16th-level wizard/6th-level cleric, for maximum frustration (gnome, just because).

Are we doing SRD 3.5 or 5e?

Str - 13 (-2) = 11
                      Dex - 17
                      Con - 6 (+2) = 8
                      Int - 19
                      Wis - 17
                      Chr - 15
                      Last edited by One Bad Pig; 07-31-2018, 11:03 AM.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I would like to get back into D&D. I haven't played in 20 years so is anyone willing to help me get started? This game may be too high level for me though. Any beginner games happening?

I don't have any AD&D books or even dice. Online tools? What do I need to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I would like to get back into D&D. I haven't played in 20 years so is anyone willing to help me get started? This game may be too high level for me though. Any beginner games happening?

I don't have any AD&D books or even dice. Online tools? What do I need to do?
                          All the "books" you need are here (there's even a "dice bag" you can use to make your rolls). We've used SRD 3.5 previously; waiting to hear from TL if we're still using that version.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            All the "books" you need are here (there's even a "dice bag" you can use to make your rolls). We've used SRD 3.5 previously; waiting to hear from TL if we're still using that version.
                            online character generators?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              online character generators?
                              There was one we used a couple years ago, but I'm not sure it's still around. Per TL's instructions above, roll 4d6 to generate your ability scores (people usually roll up six numbers, then assign each to an ability dependent on what class you want to play). She's also detailed skill point calculations and starting money above. You can outfit yourself by figuring out how much magic items cost in the magic shop generator (since we start out with a decent pile of cash, your weapons/armor are probably magical).

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                There was one we used a couple years ago, but I'm not sure it's still around. Per TL's instructions above, roll 4d6 to generate your ability scores (people usually roll up six numbers, then assign each to an ability dependent on what class you want to play). She's also detailed skill point calculations and starting money above. You can outfit yourself by figuring out how much magic items cost in the magic shop generator (since we start out with a decent pile of cash, your weapons/armor are probably magical).
                                I am lost already.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X