Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Facebook Flopping - Yuge Stock Drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook Flopping - Yuge Stock Drop

Tech stocks set to crater on Thursday with Facebook on track for biggest drop ever

The tech-heavy Nasdaq was set for a big down day Thursday after disappointing quarterly results from Facebook sent the social media giant hurtling toward its biggest share price decline ever and on track to lose more than $125 billion in market value.

The Invesco QQQ Trust, which tracks the Nasdaq 100 index and can give traders a good idea of how the Nasdaq stocks will trade, was down more than 2 percent at one point in after-hours trading Wednesday. At last count, the ETF was off by about 1.5 percent. Nasdaq futures opened lower Wednesday evening, off by about 0.8 percent. Facebook lost more than a fifth of its value after hours.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Tech stocks set to crater on Thursday with Facebook on track for biggest drop ever

The tech-heavy Nasdaq was set for a big down day Thursday after disappointing quarterly results from Facebook sent the social media giant hurtling toward its biggest share price decline ever and on track to lose more than $125 billion in market value.

The Invesco QQQ Trust, which tracks the Nasdaq 100 index and can give traders a good idea of how the Nasdaq stocks will trade, was down more than 2 percent at one point in after-hours trading Wednesday. At last count, the ETF was off by about 1.5 percent. Nasdaq futures opened lower Wednesday evening, off by about 0.8 percent. Facebook lost more than a fifth of its value after hours.

I'm already thinking about buying some stock tomorrow. Always looking for some nice day/swing trade opportunities. I've been considering a certain options strategy, but I haven't really messed with options much and don't want to start on something like this. I'll save the strategy for another time.
    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Is this a sign that Facebook is headed the way of MySpace?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Hard to read into these changes. I don't trust those charts to project where a company is heading. This was caused by Facebook announcing that its making changes to how its newsfeed works, so that it'll be biased more towards what your friends are reporting, rather than pages you've liked. This will require companies to change their marketing strategies on Facebook (which they do use as a giant advertising board - the company I work for is no exception), and they're not exactly pleased about it.

They'll adapt, Facebook will bounce back (unfortunately), there's not viable alternative out there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Is this a sign that Facebook is headed the way of MySpace?
          Probably not. While people hate facebook and don't trust it, there isn't a better option out there right now. Google Plus tried to be the next facebook when it came out but it was a total mess and failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            Hard to read into these changes. I don't trust those charts to project where a company is heading.
            Agreed

This was caused by Facebook announcing that its making changes to how its newsfeed works, so that it'll be biased more towards what your friends are reporting, rather than pages you've liked. This will require companies to change their marketing strategies on Facebook (which they do use as a giant advertising board - the company I work for is no exception), and they're not exactly pleased about it.

They'll adapt, Facebook will bounce back (unfortunately), there's not viable alternative out there yet.
            I think it's a rude awakening for Zuck!

It's likely that Facebook just grew to its potential, and is now "settling in".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

A Harsh Letter, a $16.8B Loss, and a Plan to Fire Zuckerberg

Uh, oh, Zuck....

Comment

What can you expect after Zuckerber went before Congress (not under oath!) to deny that Facebook was doing any of the questionable things that they demonstrably continued to do even after he denied they were doing it? A lot of people forget that Facebook was started by a college kid trying to get the phone numbers of girls on campus, and that's essentially how the company has been operated ever since. There's also the fact the Facebook is no longer considered young and hip (my 14 year old disdainfully says that Facebook is for "old people", meaning his mom and dad!) with things like Snapchat taking a big chunk out of the Facebook market.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Ugh, and Snapchat is a disaster waiting to happen. For some people, it's already a disaster. I haven't used Snapchat in more than 4 years.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                  "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                  Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

oh no! he only has $70 billion. I wonder if he will need to apply for welfare?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      Hard to read into these changes. I don't trust those charts to project where a company is heading. This was caused by Facebook announcing that its making changes to how its newsfeed works, so that it'll be biased more towards what your friends are reporting, rather than pages you've liked. This will require companies to change their marketing strategies on Facebook (which they do use as a giant advertising board - the company I work for is no exception), and they're not exactly pleased about it.

I think MeWe could be a viable alternative if enough people would open profiles there...I love their Privacy Policy

Privacy Policy

Your personal privacy and the privacy of your data is paramount to us at MeWe. We have prepared this Privacy Policy to clearly explain how we protect you and your data at MeWe.

Content Privacy Policy: You Own Your ContentTracking Privacy Policy: We Respect Your Privacy
                      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Agreed

I think it's a rude awakening for Zuck!

It's likely that Facebook just grew to its potential, and is now "settling in".
                        Imagine the strain it must be of having to manage on a mere $70,000,000,000.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          oh no! he only has $70 billion. I wonder if he will need to apply for welfare?
                          Yeah, his fall from grace will be cushioned by more money than all of us combined will ever see in our lifetimes.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Yeah, his fall from grace will be cushioned by more money than all of us combined will ever see in our lifetimes.
                            I just sent him an email telling him I can help hide his money with a prince I know in Nigeria.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              I just sent him an email telling him I can help hide his money with a prince I know in Nigeria.
                              But that Prince asked me for his help trying to get his money out of Nigeria.

Comment