Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump bans reporter for 'asking the wrong questions'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    You deny spinning wild-eyed conspiracy theories and then launch right into spinning another wild-eyed conspiracy theory. You did that on purpose, didn't you?
    That is not a conspiracy theory. It is a fact. The methods Trump is using on the press mirror those used by dictators around the world to suppress their reporting. I find it interesting that you try to minimize such things and pretend they are motivated by emotion rather than fact. Perhaps it is because you are ignorant of how the dictators around the world and over the 20th century gained their power? That would explain a good bit. You can't see the parallels because you simply don't know what they are.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      That is not a conspiracy theory. It is a fact. The methods Trump is using on the press mirror those used by dictators around the world to suppress their reporting. I find it interesting that you try to minimize such things and pretend they are motivated by emotion rather than fact. Perhaps it is because you are ignorant of how the dictators around the world and over the 20th century gained their power? That would explain a good bit. You can't see the parallels because you simply don't know what they are.

Jim
      facepalm3.gif

And fundamentally pale in comparison to what the Obama Administration did and yet it is Trump who is the one employing methods "on the press mirror those used by dictators around the world to suppress their reporting." It is Trump that's the threat to the First Amendment. The reality of the situation here is that Trump has significantly dialed back how the POTUS was treating the press when they displeased him. You can't see this because they were for the most part dociously subservient often acting as a Praetorian Guard spiking negative stories and shielding him.

Sheesh Jim. Just what flavor is that Kool-Aid?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]29446[/ATTACH]

And fundamentally pale in comparison to what the Obama Administration did and yet it is Trump who is the one employing methods "on the press mirror those used by dictators around the world to suppress their reporting." It is Trump that's the threat to the First Amendment. The reality of the situation here is that Trump has significantly dialed back how the POTUS was treating the press when they displeased him. You can't see this because they were for the most part dociously subservient often acting as a Praetorian Guard spiking negative stories and shielding him.

Sheesh Jim. Just what flavor is that Kool-Aid?
        Rogue - you are applying my comments in far to broad a context. And I am still working on a response to you previous post. First of all, in saying Trump's tactics mimic those of other dictators (most specifically the rallying of his base against the press with his cries of "Fake News") I am not excusing Obama's excesses against the press, nor am I making any sort of direct comparison of 'who was the worst' in their violations of freedom of the press. My comment specifically leaves open the possibility Obama used DIFFERENT tactics what were equally harmful - or perhaps even more so.

My comment simply says, no more and no less, that to say Trump is mimicking the tactics of dictators in his assaults on the press is not a conspiracy theory. It is a fact.

One thing you might consider. The march towards an irreparably polarized population (left vs right) is not thwarted by the sort of conversations that are happening in this thread and in civics 101 in general. Those fires are being fanned by them. All of us need to dial it back and give the other side a chance to make a point w/o the sort of reaction you are giving here.

I'll try to have a response to your previous point before the evening is over.

Jim

ETA: mimicking is the wrong word - it implies intent. We don't know if this is a purposed copying or just his own shoot from the hip way of dealing with it that happens to match what many dictators have done. But regardless of motive, it is one of the tactics used by dictators, and it is a dangerous tactic because of its reliance on mob mentality and emotion as opposed to logic and reason.
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-01-2018, 02:46 PM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          That is not a conspiracy theory. It is a fact. The methods Trump is using on the press mirror those used by dictators around the world to suppress their reporting.
          And still more conspiracy theorizing from you nutjobs. Seriously, man, when it comes to suppressing the media and acting like a dictator, Trump doesn't even rise to the level of amateur compared to a seasoned pro like Obama who subjected members of the press to criminal investigations and stripped them of their First Amendment rights, all for the "crime" of writing something that he didn't like.

Oh, but you wouldn't want to have a sense of perspective or anything. Just let the liberal media tell you what to think.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

And still more conspiracy theorizing from you nutjobs. Seriously, man, when it comes to suppressing the media and acting like a dictator, Trump doesn't even rise to the level of amateur compared to a seasoned pro like Obama who subjected members of the press to criminal investigations and stripped them of their First Amendment rights, all for the "crime" of writing something that he didn't like.

Oh, but you wouldn't want to have a sense of perspective or anything. Just let the liberal media tell you what to think.
            Repeat after me, Moron Man: "Obama is no longer president, Donald Trump is."

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
              That whooshing sound is the point going over your head.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

That whooshing sound is the point going over your head.
                Quite the opposite. Your whataboutism should have served that purpose but it did not work though you have certainly trained yourself a lot when it comes to the art of whataboutism. Sometimes less is more. It may have worked if it wasn't that predictable. But I will give you this much: whataboutism is not a crime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                  Hallelujah to the former, Oh Lord! to the latter.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Hallelujah to the former, Oh Lord! to the latter.
                    It was just a statement of facts. It seems you guys cannot comprehend that a person can think Trump is completely incompetent without actually agreeing with or wishing Obama back. I wonder where you guys get the idea? You must have had a rather poor teaching in logics.

Comment

It was just a statement of facts. It seems you guys cannot comprehend that a person can think Trump is completely incompetent without actually agreeing with or wishing Obama back. I wonder where you guys get the idea? You must have had a rather poor teaching in logics.
                      That was humor, Charles. Higher lifeforms engage in it.

Sheeesh!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That was humor, Charles. Higher lifeforms engage in it.

Sheeesh!
                        Well I did see that it was not a usual statement but I may have taken it too serious anyway and so i apologize. The reason I misunderstood was that actually some people in here think that logic applies but I am glad to see you are not among them. Sorry.

Comment

Where you are wrong is in the diminishing of the threat Trump poses on the issue. And to say that last line actually indicates that you are the one that is only looking at one side of the issue. The truth is there are legitimate media sources and illegitimate ones. And I'm not saying what is what here, but all media outlets have biases, it's just that some are committed to minimizing them and hold themselves to high professional standards, and some are more committed to maximizing their biases and much less committed to high professional standards.

Either way, if one does not expose themselves to a wide range of opinions and news sources, there is no way one is any less than a mouthpiece of their particular preferred brand of news.

I read as many different sources as I can, from as many different perspectives as I can. That is why most of what I say doesn't quite line up with anyone's pet position. But what I've come to accept is that IF you are a person that looks at both sides of an issue, BOTH sides will label you as an agent of the OTHER side.

Jim
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-01-2018, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Well I did see that it was not a usual statement but I may have taken it too serious anyway and so i apologize.
                            OK, for the record - just because I think you're wrong 99.9753% of the time doesn't mean I hate you or don't like you.

The reason I misunderstood was that actually some people in here think that logic applies but I am glad to see you are not among them. Sorry.
                            Not sure what "logic" you were talking about - I wasn't taking it that seriously.

Comment

OK, for the record - just because I think you're wrong 99.9753% of the time doesn't mean I hate you or don't like you.

Not sure what "logic" you were talking about - I wasn't taking it that seriously.
                              I got that. Some in here seem to think that if you are against Trump you must be pro Obama/Hillary or whatever. That was the bad logic i refered to. I don't hate you either though I also seem to find that you are wrong almost all the time, at times even in thinking you are a Christian.

Comment

I got that. Some in here seem to think that if you are against Trump you must be pro Obama/Hillary or whatever. That was the bad logic i refered to. I don't hate you either though I also seem to find that you are wrong almost all the time, at times even in thinking you are a Christian.
                                Well, fortunately, what matters is what the Good Lord thinks, not you, and you're obviously not his authorized agent, so there's that.

Comment