Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheism And Moral Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
    No, if I agree with a moral position then I agree with a moral position.

But if I see a series of moral positions that over time get closer and closer to my own, that is progress, in my opinion.

The Nazis may have thought that eliminating the Jewish race was right. Naturally, I disagree.
    And there is no universal standard judging between the two opinions. Your opinion on the Jews is no more valid or correct than the Nazi's.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Yep, same as morality.

And yet morality exists, as does moral progress.
      Again if you define moral progress has that which simply agrees with you, you might as well say it is progress when a society agrees with your tastes concerning ice cream. Not a meaningful distinction.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        And there is no universal standard judging between the two opinions. Your opinion on the Jews is no more valid or correct than the Nazi's.
        You don't think my opinion on the Jews is any more valid or correct than the Nazi's?

Comment

Again if you define moral progress has that which simply agrees with you, you might as well say it is progress when a society agrees with your tastes concerning ice cream. Not a meaningful distinction.
          There could also be progress in tastes, but I haven't really seen evidence of it.

Comment

There could also be progress in tastes, but I haven't really seen evidence of it.
            Sheesh, that is the point. One is no more significant than the other.

Comment

Sheesh, that is the point. One is no more significant than the other.
              I've seen evidence of moral progress, but I haven't seen evidence of progress in tastes.

Comment

I've seen evidence of moral progress, but I haven't seen evidence of progress in tastes.
                But you haven't seen moral progress, just moral change.

Comment

But you haven't seen moral progress, just moral change.
                  Moral change in a particular direction.

Comment

Moral change in a particular direction.
                    What direction is that?

Comment

What direction is that?
                      In the direction of our current moral views.

Comment

All you are saying is that if you agree with a moral position that is real progress. But to the Nazi eliminating the Jewish race is real progress. Who is right and why?
                        Nobody is right or wrong; morals are subjective. It's like saying that I think the Mona Lisa is beautiful and you do not - who is right and why?
                        America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

• Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
                          Nobody is right or wrong; morals are subjective. It's like saying that I think the Mona Lisa is beautiful and you do not - who is right and why?
                          So where does progress come in? Which is progress? The Mona Lisa is beautiful? Mona Lisa isn't beautiful?

Comment

In the direction of our current moral views.
                            Why is that progress?

Comment

So where does progress come in? Which is progress? The Mona Lisa is beautiful? Mona Lisa isn't beautiful?
                              For the umpteenth time, it is subjective. Just like beauty, just like morality.
                              America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

Why is that progress?
                                Perhaps it isn't, in your opinion. Perhaps you would prefer that our society condone things like racism, sexism, vigilantism, rape, torture, and slavery.

I see it as progress that we no longer think such things are okay, at least as a society.

Comment