Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheism And Moral Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Are you kidding Jim? Then you can't use the term either, because it could never have meaning in and of itself in your atheist world. If you think otherwise, make the case...
    You are correct, that was worded poorly. What I mean to say is that the term "good" and the term "evil" have to have underlying explanations as to what is meant by the terms themselves. That which is "good" can't be defined as such simply because god says so, you would need to explain why god says so, otherwise it is arbitrary and meaningless. What I think is that you don't want to recognise that obvious fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      You are correct, that was worded poorly. What I mean to say is that the term "good" and the term "evil" have to have underlying explanations as to what is meant by the terms themselves. That which is "good" can't be defined as such simply because god says so, you would need to explain why god says so, otherwise it is arbitrary and meaningless. What I think is that you don't want to recognise that obvious fact.
      OK Jim, define good and why it is good. I will be waiting...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

OK Jim, define good and why it is good. I will be waiting...
        You mean you wish to hear it again for the ten thousanth time?

Comment

You mean you wish to hear it again for the ten thousanth time?
          No Jim, you haven't - now define good and WHY it is good.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

No Jim, you haven't - now define good and WHY it is good.
            We have all been explaining it to you seer, probably for a decade now, and what we say in general is that "good," morally speaking, are those behaviors that are in the best interests of human society, and so evil would be it's opposite. Your definition has no meaning, other than that "good" is that which god says is good.

Comment

We have all been explaining it to you seer, probably for a decade now, and what we say in general is that "good," morally speaking, are those behaviors that are in the best interests of human society, and so evil would be it's opposite. Your definition has no meaning, other than that "good" is that which god says is good.
              Jim, that all depends on your SAY SO, and WHY is our best interests a moral good? Apart from your or our SAY SO?

Comment

Jim, that all depends on your SAY SO, and WHY is our best interests a moral good? Apart from your or our SAY SO?
                No it isn't my say so seer, it is the resulting nature of the society in which we live. And again, your definition of good has no meaning other than god says so. Why is it good because god says so? Answer: Because god says so. Ridiculous!

Comment

No it isn't my say so seer, it is the resulting nature of the society in which we live. And again, your definition of good has no meaning other than god says so. Why is it good because god says so? Answer: Because god says so. Ridiculous!
                  Jim you are being hypocritical - of course it is your SAY SO, or our SAY SO, there is nothing else. You are making a moral claim, that our best interests is in fact a moral good! So why is our best interests a moral good? Because we say so. Ridiculous!

Comment

Jim you are being hypocritical - of course it is your SAY SO, or our SAY SO, there is nothing else. You are making a moral claim, that our best interests is in fact a moral good! So why is our best interests a moral good? Because we say so. Ridiculous!
                    Seer, I can't make you understand, because you really don't want to understand. So maybe, if you just tell me what "good" means to you, other than god says so, might help you understand. Can you do that?

Comment

Your explanation above is worse than what you claim ours is. Instead of defining Good as "aligning with God" you simply define good as "aligning with what is good for society" which is just self-referential since you still can't define what is "good for society" - you already said that even if everyone disagreed what is good it didn't matter.

So what does the word "good" actually mean, other than you trying to associate it with "society" instead of "God?"

Comment

Seer, I can't make you understand, because you really don't want to understand. So maybe, if you just tell me what "good" means to you, other than god says so, might help you understand. Can you do that?
                        No Jim, you can not escape your double standard. The ONLY reason our bests interests is a moral good is because we SAY SO. There is no other reason or argument from your point of view. And if that is good enough for you (us) it is good enough for God. Stop being hypocritical...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Your explanation above is worse than what you claim ours is. Instead of defining Good as "aligning with God" you simply define good as "aligning with what is good for society" which is just self-referential since you still can't define what is "good for society" - you already said that even if everyone disagreed what is good it didn't matter.

So what does the word "good" actually mean, other than you trying to associate it with "society" instead of "God?"
                          Egad! Good aligning with god doesn't tell us anything as to what good means. What does it mean, Sparko?

Comment

No Jim, you can not escape your double standard. The ONLY reason our bests interests is a moral good is because we SAY SO. There is no other reason or argument from your point of view. And if that is good enough for you (us) it is good enough for God. Stop being hypocritical...
                            Okay, so tell me what "good" means, seer. When you and Sparko assert that good is that which comes from god, or aligns with god, what do you mean by good?

Comment

Egad! Good aligning with god doesn't tell us anything as to what good means. What does it mean, Sparko?
                              Egad. Good aligning with "the good of society" doesn't tell us anything as to what good means. What does it mean JimL?

Comment

Okay, so tell me what "good" means, seer. When you and Sparko assert that good is that which comes from god, or aligns with god, what do you mean by good?
                                No Jim, not until you give me a coherent definition of good and why that is correct (apart from your say so). You have no done so, so far.

Comment