Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Give a straw, go to jail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give a straw, go to jail

Give A Straw, Go To Jail--How Plastic Straws Are Becoming Criminal

According to Reason, the Santa Barbara City Council rode the crest of the latest wave of popular enthusiasm among cities controlled by progressives and unanimously banned the use of plastic straws in restaurants, bars, and other food service businesses.

While Santa Barbara isn’t the first American city to ban their use—Seattle, another coastal city that has flirted with controversial laws passed by leftists, holds that distinction—they appear to have adopted the most punitive sanctions for their use. Possible criminal penalties for violating Santa Barbara’s new ordinance include six months in jail and a $1,000 fine—roughly equivalent to a Class B misdemeanor in many states.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckde.../#7e6813b463e7

The actual ordinance:

https://records.santabarbaraca.gov/O...sSection=false

So, everyone there has to BYOS?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
      So, everyone there has to BYOS?
      Apparently if they ASK for a plastic straw (or any plastic utensil) then it is legal to give it to them. But if they give it to them without them asking first, then they can be fined or maybe go to jail. Although subsequent news articles say that the Santa Barbara city counsel is backing away from the jail bit after this hit the news. Now they are saying "the jail part will most likely be stricken out when it is finalized"

Comment

Wanting to cut down on plastics that are disposed of in the environment seems like a reasonable enough goal, but as usual, the way liberals go about achieving it is borderline insane.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

it seems that the penalties for misdemeanors in California are not always readily available.
          Are the courts supposed to penalize at $1000 and/or 6months? Or would they normally do $50?

But of course, this being stupid anyhow, it should only be an infraction, as long as no one died because you didn't give them a plastic straw.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Wanting to cut down on plastics that are disposed of in the environment seems like a reasonable enough goal, but as usual, the way liberals go about achieving it is borderline insane.
            That's because to them the Government Knows Best and must nanny everyone.

And the Law is Government's chief weapon. Law and punishment. Their two chief weapons are Law and Punishment! and Fear! The three chief weapons are Fear, Law and Punishment! and intolerance... amongst their chief weapons are fear, law, punishment and intolerance...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Apparently if they ASK for a plastic straw (or any plastic utensil) then it is legal to give it to them. But if they give it to them without them asking first, then they can be fined or maybe go to jail. Although subsequent news articles say that the Santa Barbara city counsel is backing away from the jail bit after this hit the news. Now they are saying "the jail part will most likely be stricken out when it is finalized"
              Imagine being tossed into the local jail after a night of waitering......

Sparko to big hairy dude: Whatcha in for?
              Big Hairy dude: I killed my wife and kids.
              Sparko to tall skinny dude: And you?
              Tall skinny dude: Armed robbery
              Sparko to short fat guy: How bout you?
              Short fat guy: I stole a car and led the police on a high speed chase

Short fat guy to Sparko: And you?
              Sparko [clears throat] I gave a plastic straw to a diner

Loud gasps, and everybody moves away in shock and awe
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                But of course, this being stupid anyhow, it should only be an infraction, as long as no one died because you didn't give them a plastic straw.
                Meanwhile, MacGyver is furious. One less item from which to construct his next escape device!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Meanwhile, plastic utensil dealers will start popping up in alleys outside of restaurants.

Psst. Hey kid... need a straw? how about a nice plastic spork?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Imagine being tossed into the local jail after a night of waitering......

Sparko to big hairy dude: Whatcha in for?
                    Big Hairy dude: I killed my wife and kids.
                    Sparko to tall skinny dude: And you?
                    Tall skinny dude: Armed robbery
                    Sparko to short fat guy: How bout you?
                    Short fat guy: I stole a car and led the police on a high speed chase

Short fat guy to Sparko: And you?
                    Sparko [clears throat] I gave a plastic straw to a diner

Loud gasps, and everybody moves away in shock and awe
                    "That's a shankin'..."
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I believe San Francisco has also banned plastic straws but is not threatening jail time for handing them out[1]. Fortunately the city that has apps warning where there is large amounts of used needles and human excrement on their streets and sidewalks has nothing better to do than go after plastic straws in restaurants.

1. Keep in mind it can be 6 months for each straw handed out so theoretically someone could get more jail time for giving patrons straws than someone convicted of robbery or killing someone.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Meanwhile, MacGyver is furious. One less item from which to construct his next escape device!
                        When asked about the anti-straw" law he was heard to declare that "it sucks"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          I believe San Francisco has also banned plastic straws but is not threatening jail time for handing them out[1]. Fortunately the city that has apps warning where there is large amounts of used needles and human excrement on their streets and sidewalks has nothing better to do than go after plastic straws in restaurants.
                          Maybe they can track the plastic straws on the app too.

Comment

Bring out the straw police! We need a few more straw men.
                            When I Survey....

Comment

This is pretty much "feel good" politics. Not actually accomplishing anything but being able to "feel good" for helping the environment by outlawing plastic straws. Politicians love this sort of stuff. It makes them look good, and doesn't cost anything. Heck they can make it a profit center by collecting fines. win/win.

Comment