Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Give a straw, go to jail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actor Ed Begley, Jr. is big into recycling. He had a show on H&G a while back that covered some of his efforts. His entire backyard (he owns a small suburban house) was full of containers for recycling - by type. He was sorting plastics by type.

Now, I respect the heck out of a guy that lives what he believes, but it sadly demonstrated how incredibly impractical recycling is - as we do it now.

Blended plastics and shredded plastics do recycle pretty well as second market goods (soda bottles become part of chairs) and filler (especially in road surfacing and light concrete uses) respectively. These kinds of recycling uses only require sorting from other material, not sorting by type. It doesn't matter if it's a PVC pipe or a plastic bag.

Given the advent of 3d printed housing, I really think blended extrusion might have a use there, as well. It's usually strong enough for a wall - but it also has better thermal properties and could be used as insulation between the concrete layers that could be extruded with the concrete. Once really big printers catch up to the little ones, of course.

I think the problem in recycling is that we use fifty year old tech to do the job.

FYI: Pyrex melts at a much higher temp than soda glass (which is most of the glass we use) so it's a lot like making a concrete wall with veins of glass in it - the Pyrex makes it harder to work the soda glass and if it does get incorporated, it mucks up the final piece. Since you have to melt soda glass around 2000F, straining out the Pyrex isn't terribly practical and once the mass has cooled, it's just not economical to bust it up, resort it and try again.

Those masses are probably recycled, however, as filler for road surfacing.
    Last edited by Teallaura; 07-30-2018, 04:06 PM.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Actor Ed Begley, Jr. is big into recycling. He had a show on H&G a while back that covered some of his efforts. His entire backyard (he owns a small suburban house) was full of containers for recycling - by type. He was sorting plastics by type.
      I actually enjoy watching Ed and Jay Leno kinda compete on who can be more green.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Now, I respect the heck out of a guy that lives what he believes, but it sadly demonstrated how incredibly impractical recycling is - as we do it now.

Blended plastics and shredded plastics do recycle pretty well as second market goods (soda bottles become part of chairs) and filler (especially in road surfacing and light concrete uses) respectively. These kinds of recycling uses only require sorting from other material, not sorting by type. It doesn't matter if it's a PVC pipe or a plastic bag.

Given the advent of 3d printed housing, I really think blended extrusion might have a use there, as well. It's usually strong enough for a wall - but it also has better thermal properties and could be used as insulation between the concrete layers that could be extruded with the concrete. Once really big printers catch up to the little ones, of course.

I think the problem in recycling is that we use fifty year old tech to do the job.

FYI: Pyrex melts at a much higher temp than soda glass (which is most of the glass we use) so it's a lot like making a concrete wall with veins of glass in it - the Pyrex makes it harder to work the soda glass and if it does get incorporated, it mucks up the final piece. Since you have to melt soda glass around 2000F, straining out the Pyrex isn't terribly practical and once the mass has cooled, it's just not economical to bust it up, resort it and try again.

About the only celebutard environmentalist that I'm aware of who practices what he preaches is Ed Begley Jr. He actually seems to live by example rather than being just another do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do hypocrite (see Al Gore). He lives in a LEED-platinum certified house (the highest environmental rating from the U.S. Green Building Council) which is solar-powered has composting toilets and a huge rainwater tank for his fruit and vegetable garden. He's driven electric cars exclusively since the early 70s.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Penn and Teller on their Showtime series called... um, well let's just say "B.S." had an excellent episode on recycling. I'm not gonna link to it since it is laced with profanity (I can't even say what the actual name of the series ) but if you can get by that it is very interesting and informative

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            About the only celebutard environmentalist that I'm aware of who practices what he preaches is Ed Begley Jr.
            And he genuinely seems to have fun doing it.

He actually seems to live by example rather than being just another do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do hypocrite (see Al Gore). He lives in a LEED-platinum certified house (the highest environmental rating from the U.S. Green Building Council) which is solar-powered has composting toilets and a huge rainwater tank for his fruit and vegetable garden. He's driven electric cars exclusively since the early 70s.
            So, he's like the Billy Graham of green vs the Joel Osteen?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              And he genuinely seems to have fun doing it.

So, he's like the Billy Graham of green vs the Joel Osteen?

I don't necessarily agree with everything he says but I respect folks who walk the walk

Comment

I don't necessarily agree with everything he says but I respect folks who walk the walk
                Agreed - and (I can't remember why) I never liked Ed, and kinda approached his "green" program with a somewhat jaundiced eye, but he seems like the real deal. Some of his stuff just makes good practical sense, and some of it, yeah... a bit out there.

Comment

Penn and Teller on their Showtime series called... um, well let's just say "B.S." had an excellent episode on recycling. I'm not gonna link to it since it is laced with profanity (I can't even say what the actual name of the series ) but if you can get by that it is very interesting and informative
                  I like P&T, but the name of their show could just as easily describe their own commentary and not necessarily the subject matter they're commenting on.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    I like P&T, but the name of their show could just as easily describe their own commentary and not necessarily the subject matter they're commenting on.
                    Yeah their episodes were hits and misses. One they revealed a lot of ignorance about was martial arts where they pretty much dismissed it because you tend to get sore and bruised training which they said was really no different than if someone beats you up. The part they didn't understand is that it isn't for defending yourself in the equivalent of a playground fight but against folks who intended to do serious, grievous physical harm to you or your loved ones. Nor is is it to prevent someone from taking your wallet at gunpoint (every even halfway competent instructor will repeatedly tell you to surrender the wallet) but to give you a chance if they intend on shooting you.

Comment

If it melts at a much higher temperature than regular glass it seem like it would be easy to separate them. Melt the regular glass and filter out the bits that have not melted.

Comment

37964861_460113727791512_6481772284422914048_n.jpg

Comment

An assault straw!
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            An assault straw!
                            38049925_2178535135697723_8069639101256564736_n.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              If it melts at a much higher temperature than regular glass it seem like it would be easy to separate them. Melt the regular glass and filter out the bits that have not melted.
                              Depends on how big the chunk is - it's really hard to build a fine sieve that can withstand 2500 to 3000F.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Depends on how big the chunk is - it's really hard to build a fine sieve that can withstand 2500 to 3000F.
                                Ummm How come you not so much here too much?

Comment