Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Give a straw, go to jail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    This is pretty much "feel good" politics. Not actually accomplishing anything but being able to "feel good" for helping the environment by outlawing plastic straws. Politicians love this sort of stuff. It makes them look good, and doesn't cost anything. Heck they can make it a profit center by collecting fines. win/win.
    I heard some statistics on it the other morning and it constitutes a minute percentage of a minuscule fraction of plastic waste.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
      Bring out the straw police! We need a few more straw men.
      That's the last straw!

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Wanting to cut down on plastics that are disposed of in the environment seems like a reasonable enough goal, but as usual, the way liberals go about achieving it is borderline insane.
        I agree...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

And yet, the recycling rules in this country have recently changed, and we can no longer place any plastic bags into our recycling. Hard plastics are still acceptable, but every other plastic grocery bag and produce bag go into the landfill. The straw debate is also alive and well here.

Something about straining at gnats and swallowing camels, I think.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            That's the last straw!
            strawman.jpg
            When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              And yet, the recycling rules in this country have recently changed, and we can no longer place any plastic bags into our recycling. Hard plastics are still acceptable, but every other plastic grocery bag and produce bag go into the landfill. The straw debate is also alive and well here.

Something about straining at gnats and swallowing camels, I think.
              When those really thin plastic grocery / walmart bags became popular, they posed a new threat to my cows. They can kill cows. And they (the bags) blow across the landscape, and often get snagged in the barbed wire fence...
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                When those really thin plastic grocery / walmart bags became popular, they posed a new threat to my cows. They can kill cows. And they (the bags) blow across the landscape, and often get snagged in the barbed wire fence...
                Not saying they're a good thing, just saying that there is no way to dispose of them now except into the landfills.

Something to do with recycling being done by the Chinese and they won't accept anything with more than 0.05% of that type of plastic in the recycling that I guess we either get paid for or we pay for them to take......not sure which it is.

I'm sure they have wreaked havoc all over the landscape since they were introduced.

Had lunch at Boston Pizza last week. Asked for a straw for my drink. They said they only have paper straws. I was expecting something like the old soda fountain paper straws, but what they gave me was a hard, thick paper that stood up to water for the entire lunch. I was impressed.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  Not saying they're a good thing, just saying that there is no way to dispose of them now except into the landfills.

Something to do with recycling being done by the Chinese and they won't accept anything with more than 0.05% of that type of plastic in the recycling that I guess we either get paid for or we pay for them to take......not sure which it is.

I'm sure they have wreaked havoc all over the landscape since they were introduced.

Had lunch at Boston Pizza last week. Asked for a straw for my drink. They said they only have paper straws. I was expecting something like the old soda fountain paper straws, but what they gave me was a hard, thick paper that stood up to water for the entire lunch. I was impressed.
                  They have those very thick paper straws at Disney World. I didn't even realize they were paper for a while, because I never had a problem with them disintegrating or anything. Of course, I wasn't exactly sipping extra slowly in the Florida heat.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                  "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                  Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

So... what happens if an illegal alien uses a plastic straw in a Sanctuary city?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Meanwhile, plastic utensil dealers will start popping up in alleys outside of restaurants.

Psst. Hey kid... need a straw? how about a nice plastic spork?

Hey kid you want a hobotool?
                      sigpic

Comment

9.165.040 Upon Request Provision of Plastic Cutlery or Stirrers.It shall be unlawful for any beverage provider or food provider to provide plasticcutlery or plastic stirrers to any person being served a beverage or prepared food forconsumption on the premises of the beverage provider or food provider or to be taken 4away from the premises of the beverage provider or food provider unless either: (1) thebeverage provider or food provider first asks that person whether they want to receivethe plastic cutlery or plastic stirrer and the person responds that he or she does, or (2)the customer affirmatively requests the plastic cutlery or plastic stirrer from thebeverage provider or food provider.
                        So the clerk or waitress has to pointlessly ask if they want a straw or be asked for one.

I could not find any provision against the sale of plastic straws - so you can get all you want at Dollar Tree or Wally World...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Worse, they were supposed to save the trees, remember?
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                            They have those very thick paper straws at Disney World. I didn't even realize they were paper for a while, because I never had a problem with them disintegrating or anything. Of course, I wasn't exactly sipping extra slowly in the Florida heat.
                            Ironically, plastic straws came in, as I recall, with Styrofoam containers to 'save the environment' from the evils of paper. Before then, paper straws and paper wrappings were the norm.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              So... what happens if an illegal alien uses a plastic straw in a Sanctuary city?
                              They start looking for you for inciting illegals to use straws...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                They start looking for you for inciting illegals to use straws...
                                Just another reason I'm a rogue

Comment