Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Binding of Satan

  1. #1
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Triangle
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,263
    Amen (Given)
    1677
    Amen (Received)
    4504

    Binding of Satan

    A common position among preterists, at least on here, is that Satan is currently bound and unable to act. As best as I can tell, this position seems to come from Revelation 20:1-3.

    Here are some problems I have with this view:

    1) Revelation is a highly symbolic book with probably almost as many interpretations as there are sandwich combinations at Subway. The idea that Satan is bound means that you have the proper interpretation of Revelation as a whole, and of that particular symbolism. How sure can you be that that verse means that Satan is literally bound right now?

    2) A bound Satan would imply that James 4:7 (resist the devil and he will flee from you) is outdated. Now, that's plausible because James was probably the first book written in the New Testament and Revelation was certainly written after James. But are we sure enough that we are willing to set aside that particular verse? If so, it would have great practical implications. I personally believe in an active spiritual world, with forces for good and evil out there. We shouldn't be willing to dismiss this unless we are very sure. In other words, this is not simply an academic, hypothetical debate over the meaning of the text; it matters in the real world.

    3) Colossians 2:14-15 already says that the devil has lost and been defeated with the resurrection of Jesus. But as we see from James, that didn't mean Satan was unable to do anything diabolical after the resurrection. This suggests to me that we need to not take statements about the defeat of the devil *too* literally prior to Jesus's second coming. It could be that Revelation means that the devil's doom is a sure thing at this point in time.

    4) Even if the devil is literally bound, Revelation 20 says that he will be released again for a short time. Proponents of the "devil is bound" idea don't seem to emphasize this part. It would be prudent to warn people of this possibility so believers are not caught off guard.
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 07-29-2018 at 05:02 PM.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

    All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

  2. Amen LostSheep amen'd this post.
  3. #2
    Professor Cerebrum123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,613
    Amen (Given)
    18675
    Amen (Received)
    3628
    This is one of the big reasons I reject Preterism. I've yet to see an explanation of all of the relevant facts that is convincing. I've had face to face encounters with the demonic, and my study of Islam has led me to the conclusion that it is Satanic. By that I mean I believe it was directly inspired by Satan rather than just some lesser demon.

  4. Amen The Remonstrant, Obsidian, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
  5. #3
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Triangle
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,263
    Amen (Given)
    1677
    Amen (Received)
    4504
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    This is one of the big reasons I reject Preterism. I've yet to see an explanation of all of the relevant facts that is convincing. I've had face to face encounters with the demonic, and my study of Islam has led me to the conclusion that it is Satanic. By that I mean I believe it was directly inspired by Satan rather than just some lesser demon.
    I don't see how this requires rejecting preterism as preterism doesn't require interpreting that one verse that way.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

    All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

  6. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
  7. #4
    Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,325
    Amen (Given)
    1796
    Amen (Received)
    1836
    THE purpose of Christ's coming was: “to destroy the works of the devil” -1 John 3:8 says, and Paul adds to disarm: “the rulers and authorities” -Col 2:15, and the author of Hebrews says it was to: “destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil -Heb 2:14. We see that the result of this victory is that he is now seated on his rightful throne at the right hand of the Father. The whole world (universe?) has been set free, humanity has been delivered “from the power of darkness and transferred … into the kingdom of his beloved Son” -Col 1:13. This has already been done and is a settled reality.

    However, when we look at our present situation, it's pretty clear that the earth continues to be in bondage to the powers of evil. I have heard this referred to as the “already-not yet” eschatology of the N.T. Already the Kingdom has come, but it is not yet fully manifested.

    I have used a common analogy of this tension in teaching a Spiritual Warfare World view of Scripture this month in my Sunday School class...it's the distinction between D-day and V-day in World War II. Historians generally agree that, for all intends and purposes, World War II was decided in the Battle of Normandy (referred to as “D-day”) that began on June 6th, 1944. The Allied forces dealt a fatal blow to Germany when they successfully established the beachhead at Normandy, and that rendered Germany's defeat as inevitable. But it took another year for Germany to surrender (referred to as V-Day). Between D-Day and V-Day, the victory the allied forces had already in principle won was not yet manifested as an actual fact.

    I think this analogy captures the dynamic of the N.T. well. D-Day for the Kingdom took place when Jesus finished his work by dying on the cross and rising from the dead. At this time the devil was dealt a fatal blow and he was, at least in principle, defeated. Yet, Christ’s victory over the Powers will not be fully manifested until V-Day, when Christ returns and fully establishes God’s Kingdom.

    The author of Hebrews points to the “already-not yet” tension when he says that God made humans “for a little while lower than the angels” and that in Christ he has “crowned them with glory and honor, subjecting all things under their feet.” Our position as rulers of creation has in principle been restored in Christ. But the author immediately goes on to add: "As it is, we do not yet see everything in subjection to them, but we do see Jesus, who for a little while was made lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone." -Heb 2:7-9.

    So, we see that our position in the Kingdom as "rulers" under God's authority has "already" been restored because of what Jesus accomplished. Our "D-Day" has been fought and won. But the truth of this is "not yet" manifested as in actuality.
    Last edited by Littlejoe; 07-29-2018 at 05:26 PM.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

    "... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

  8. #5
    Professor Cerebrum123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,613
    Amen (Given)
    18675
    Amen (Received)
    3628
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I don't see how this requires rejecting preterism as preterism doesn't require interpreting that one verse that way.
    I said it is one of the reasons I do so. It's also the only interpretation I've seen Preterists use. It may not be required for a Preterist, but it seems to be the logical conclusion of Preterism*. If a system logically leads to a false conclusion I'm not going to accept said system.

    *All Preterists I've seen say we are in the Millenium, but that begins with Satan being bound, and ends with him being released. If we are in the Millenium, then logically he must be bound.

  9. #6
    Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,325
    Amen (Given)
    1796
    Amen (Received)
    1836
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    I said it is one of the reasons I do so. It's also the only interpretation I've seen Preterists use. It may not be required for a Preterist, but it seems to be the logical conclusion of Preterism*. If a system logically leads to a false conclusion I'm not going to accept said system.

    *All Preterists I've seen say we are in the Millenium, but that begins with Satan being bound, and ends with him being released. If we are in the Millenium, then logically he must be bound.
    Satan is bound as he's never been. Christ's death, burial and resurrection, DID defeat Satan, and gave Christians authority that men here on earth did not have before. In the Gospels and Acts, it's evident that demons/Satan, could not stand up in the face of the authority and power the Apostles operated in Jesus. But there was that incident where the some Jewish guys, sons of Sceva, was doing exorcisms in the "name of Jesus whom Paul preaches." They were successful on a few but one particularly powerful one said, "Jesus I know and Paul I know, but who are you?" And he jumped on them and beat them and stripped them from their clothes.

    Jesus Death and Resurrection, restored the earth back to it's rightful owners and bound Satan from operating in the power and ease at which he had previously operated. The thing that hasn't happened is a total defeat. Whether Revelation with it's apocalyptic style and it's penchant for hyperbole, means total binding, or partial binding is IMO open to interpretation. I believe we as Christians in the "Lords Army" are not doing our job in pushing back the darkness. We seem to be squandering the beach-head that Christ established on his "D-Day". He bought us the victory, but we've been more like the French and have gone to a "well, this trouble, or evil act against me is God's will so I have to accept it and pray through to acceptance." Jesus didn't say pray about the mountain and our attitude toward the mountain would change us to acceptance of the mountain in the way...He said in Matt21:21-22: "21 And Jesus answered them, “Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ it will happen. 22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”

    No acceptance of the mountain, but command that it move. This isn't of course carte blanche, (not that I think you think that) but to operated in the authority of Christ to do the work of the Kingdom. (Not have your wishes granted by a genie )
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

    "... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

  10. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
  11. #7
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20,786
    Amen (Given)
    6079
    Amen (Received)
    11624
    The binding of Satan does not necessarily entail the binding of all demons (I don't see how it does at all).

    And yes, in the end Satan will be unbound for a time. I don't know of anyone trying to hide that.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  12. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
  13. #8
    Professor Cerebrum123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,613
    Amen (Given)
    18675
    Amen (Received)
    3628
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Satan is bound as he's never been. Christ's death, burial and resurrection, DID defeat Satan, and gave Christians authority that men here on earth did not have before. In the Gospels and Acts, it's evident that demons/Satan, could not stand up in the face of the authority and power the Apostles operated in Jesus. But there was that incident where the some Jewish guys, sons of Sceva, was doing exorcisms in the "name of Jesus whom Paul preaches." They were successful on a few but one particularly powerful one said, "Jesus I know and Paul I know, but who are you?" And he jumped on them and beat them and stripped them from their clothes.
    Unless Revelation is achronological on top of being symbolic, then this doesn't explain what the binding is. It happens at the beginning of the Millenium, after the Tribulation. Acts is supposed to be written before Revelation as well IIRC.

    Oh, and it doesn't seem to be different from before Jesus' resurrection when He sent out the disciples. Given the significance given to the binding of Satan in Revelation, I would expect at minimum a significant difference in spiritual warfare.

    Jesus Death and Resurrection, restored the earth back to it's rightful owners and bound Satan from operating in the power and ease at which he had previously operated. The thing that hasn't happened is a total defeat. Whether Revelation with it's apocalyptic style and it's penchant for hyperbole, means total binding, or partial binding is IMO open to interpretation. I believe we as Christians in the "Lords Army" are not doing our job in pushing back the darkness. We seem to be squandering the beach-head that Christ established on his "D-Day". He bought us the victory, but we've been more like the French and have gone to a "well, this trouble, or evil act against me is God's will so I have to accept it and pray through to acceptance." Jesus didn't say pray about the mountain and our attitude toward the mountain would change us to acceptance of the mountain in the way...He said in Matt21:21-22: "21 And Jesus answered them, “Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ it will happen. 22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”

    No acceptance of the mountain, but command that it move. This isn't of course carte blanche, (not that I think you think that) but to operated in the authority of Christ to do the work of the Kingdom. (Not have your wishes granted by a genie )
    The wording in Revelation seems to be about as explicit as you can get for a total binding*. It doesn't seem to make much sense to bind only Satan, and not other demonic forces. The False Prophet and Beast are said to already be in the lake of fire, so they are taken care of that way.

    *Chains, a pit, and the pit itself being sealed up. That's pretty extensive binding.

  14. #9
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Triangle
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,263
    Amen (Given)
    1677
    Amen (Received)
    4504
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    I said it is one of the reasons I do so. It's also the only interpretation I've seen Preterists use. It may not be required for a Preterist, but it seems to be the logical conclusion of Preterism*. If a system logically leads to a false conclusion I'm not going to accept said system.

    *All Preterists I've seen say we are in the Millenium, but that begins with Satan being bound, and ends with him being released. If we are in the Millenium, then logically he must be bound.
    How is it the only logically possible conclusion? You've brought in the assumption that the suggested definition of the millennium as defined by Satan's binding (and that we are in it) are correct. LJ and I above provided a plausible alternative interpretation that is consistent with preterism (or any other system).
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

    All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

  15. #10
    Professor Cerebrum123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,613
    Amen (Given)
    18675
    Amen (Received)
    3628
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    How is it the only logically possible conclusion? You've brought in the assumption that the suggested definition of the millennium as defined by Satan's binding (and that we are in it) are correct. LJ and I above provided a plausible alternative interpretation that is consistent with preterism (or any other system).
    It's not an "assumption" about the Millenium starting with Satan being bound, it's what the text explicitly says.

    Source: Revelation 20

    1 And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain. 2 He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. 3 He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.

    4 I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They[a] had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

    The Judgment of Satan
    7 When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison

    © Copyright Original Source



    If Satan is bound, then logically we are in the Millennium now. It works the other way too, if it's the Millennium now, then Satan is bound. That's the logical conclusion considering what the Millennium is. As Revelation shows the Millennium and Satan's binding are intrinsically linked.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •