Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Binding of Satan

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Good to see you back Remonstrant!

I'm not sure what your last sentence concludes. I agree they are not embodied, but, I wouldn't think that would have any bearing on whether or not they can ultimately be destroyed. Maybe you could clarify your point?
    Thank you, Littlejoe. It is good to see you again as well.

Along with you, I believe that it is possible for demons/unclean spirits to be finally annihilated (killed, destroyed). I do not believe that that will occur prior to the second appearance of Christ, however.

I take the basic evangelical annihilationist stance when it comes to the destiny of unsaved humans. Though some annihilationists maintain that Satan will be subjected to never-ending torment, I tend to believe that Satan and his non-human emissaries also will be eventually annihilated. This would then leave no aspect of the old, sin-cursed, fallen creation to survive the final judgement of the Lord Jesus Christ.
    For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
    Satan has already been bound, and is bound now, not because we can see that he is, but because of what Christ has done. Satan is called bound, not because this corresponds with human experience, but because the final and total victory over satan and his works is a foregone conclusion. It is totally certain - so it can be described as though it were already, in every way, the accomplished reality that in due course it will be. Christ can be praised for His irreversible and total victory over satan even now. Currently, satan is bound, yet is permitted to act. A bit, perhaps, like a fierce dog on a long leash, which is captive, but not inactive.

The binding of satan has happened; it is in process of happening; it is sure to be completed. We have an infallible pledge of its completion in the fact that God in Christ has begun it, and is doing it now. It is neither purely future, nor purely past, not purely present, but “was, and is, and is to come”.

ISTM that Rev 20 makes the same point as the three Gospel narratives, but in a way suited to the apocalyptic type of writing that it is. The Book of Revelation shows that, despite appearances, God is in total control of all that happens; and that for their posturing and boasting & blaspheming, all human and demonic powers can do no more than God, for His purposes and not theirs, allows them to. The same apocalyptic attitude informs the Gospels.
    I am very sympathetic to this viewpoint. Would this mean that phenomenologically, little has changed on that front since, say, 70 AD?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It's a wrong viewpoint to say that Satan is bound. It's especially wrong to say that he was bound ever since the cross. In Revelation 13 — after the cross — Satan backs two beasts who deceive the nations. In Revelation 20, he is bound from deceiving the nations any further. At the end of the millennium, he is released — even though the cross is still in effect. Therefore, the crucifixion is not the binding of Satan. Nor have I ever heard any plausible argument for why he would have been bound in 70 A.D.

If you look at the chronology of Revelation, and compare it with Matthew 24 (and Luke 21), it is clear that the sack of Jerusalem in 70 A.D. corresponds with the sixth seal. "Immediately AFTER the tribulation of those days," the stars fell from heaven. This refers to Satan being cast from heaven in 70 A.D., which is again described in Revelation 12. But just being cast from heaven isn't the same as being bound in hell. Revelation 13 makes that very clear.