Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Quantum computers have arrived.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quantum computers have arrived.

Source: https://cosmosmagazine.com/technology/hello-quantum-world

Hello quantum world

Inside a small laboratory in lush countryside about 80 kilometres north of New York City, an elaborate tangle of tubes and electronics dangles from the ceiling. This mess of equipment is a computer. Not just any computer, but one on the verge of passing what may, perhaps, go down as one of the most important milestones in the history of the field.

PHYSICS
    Quantum computers promise to run calculations far beyond the reach of any conventional supercomputer. They might revolutionise the discovery of new materials by making it possible to simulate the behaviour of matter down to the atomic level. Or they could upend cryptography and security by cracking otherwise invincible codes. There is even hope they will supercharge artificial intelligence by crunching through data more efficiently.

Yet only now, after decades of gradual progress, are researchers finally close to building quantum computers powerful enough to do things that conventional computers cannot. It’s a landmark somewhat theatrically dubbed ‘quantum supremacy’. Google has been leading the charge toward this milestone, while Intel and Microsoft also have significant quantum efforts. And then there are well-funded startups including Rigetti Computing, IonQ and Quantum Circuits.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

They have been here for a while now.

In fact, you can use one yourself on the net.

https://quantumexperience.ng.bluemix.net/qx/experience

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      They have been here for a while now.

In fact, you can use one yourself on the net.

https://quantumexperience.ng.bluemix.net/qx/experience
      Yes it has been around a while, but further looking at other reference indicates that a fully functioning Quantum Computer is a little further down the road.

Even though a layman's article it was correct in stating we are 'close' to a fully functioning Quantum computer.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Yes it has been around a while, but further looking at other reference indicates that a fully functioning Quantum Computer is a little further down the road.

Even though a layman's article it was correct in stating we are 'close' to a fully functioning Quantum computer.
        They already are fully functional. They are just getting better. I think they are up to 20 qubits now?

Comment

Yes, IBM is up to 20 qubits, and expects they'll be at 50 reasonably soon. That's about where quantum computers should show a clear advance over classical ones.

Unfortunately, the 50 qubit machine they'll have won't be error correcting, and there's no way of knowing when an error occurs. So to have confidence in a result, you've got to run it a few times and do majority polling - assuming that the errors are random and not systemic. (The article does get into this a bit.) IBM estimates that it'll need to be able to produce over 1,000 qubits on a single chip to have full error correction. Still, we're much further along than i expected we'd be.

I visited IBM Watson and got a tour of the quantum facility a while back, and talked to some of the people developing the hardware and software stack. If anybody has questions, i'd be happy to take a stab at answering them.
          "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
            If anybody has questions, i'd be happy to take a stab at answering them.

When will the quantum computers become conscious and take over the planet? Or create a portal to a hell dimension?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              When will the quantum computers become conscious and take over the planet? Or create a portal to a hell dimension?
              Isn't it obvious? They developed time travel and we've already gone through the portal.
              "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                Isn't it obvious? They developed time travel and we've already gone through the portal.
                That explains the Mandela Effect!

Comment