Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fast food non compete clauses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast food non compete clauses

Non compete clauses in the fast food industry are coming under the public eye, with even Congress considering involvement. https://www.cbs17.com/news/investiga...obs/1298896501

Essentially, if you leave your job, you cannot get a job at a competing fast food restaurant. Many workers don't realize they've signed this agreement as part of their new hire paperwork. This seems like an unreasonable burden on people at the bottom of the wage ladder to me. Jimmy John's made headlines a few years ago by scrapping theirs after coming under fire from the Illinois Attorney General, and McDonalds recently got rid of theirs after being sued by workers.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Yeah, that is dumb. Not like they are on top secret research or anything.

Comment

Non-exempt employee's (not hired with a contract/hourly) in Texas are not usually binding. I signed on to hire onto a company and when I went to quit, they told me I couldn't go to a competitor. I went straight to a lawyer friends office and showed him the paper, he told me not to worry about it, it was un-enforceable in my case. Sure enough, they never came after me...
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Comment

McDonalds in England spent over a decade trying to pursue a libel case against some random environmental activists awhile ago. They won the case but the public relations hit they took made it not worth it at all.

I think the real concern is people fearing they will not be able to take a job when they need a job, any job. We need to make it easier for people to work, not harder.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Yeah, noncompetes can be actually pretty difficult to enforce. Noncompetes are supposed to protect companies that have really hard-to-replace employees. For example, a tech company that hires someone who is an expert in a notoriously difficult to learn and manage programming language and is able to create really cool stuff for the company. If that employee quits, it is difficult for the company to replace him or her. But fast food has notoriously high turnover and just about anyone can be easily replaced, so noncompetes are borderline useless in that situation anyway. The only scenario I find relatively understandable is preventing a current employee from working for a direct competitor. I know Starbucks does not allow its employees to work for any other coffee shop while employed, though they can work still work for some other non-direct competitor like, say, Chick-Fil-A.

Not that that stops Starbucks baristas from lowkey taking jobs at independent coffee shops. Working at independent coffee shops usually involves much higher tips and for people who are really into coffee and artistry they can learn a whole lot more about coffee and making latte art and other things. However, Starbucks is much less likely to show up short on the paycheck or suddenly go under and they provide benefits. It is what it is.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
            "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
            Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
              Yeah, noncompetes can be actually pretty difficult to enforce. Noncompetes are supposed to protect companies that have really hard-to-replace employees.
              Or are afraid that the former employee might take a bunch of customers/clients with them when they go to work for a competitor.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Or are afraid that the former employee might take a bunch of customers/clients with them when they go to work for a competitor.
                Ack, Ames Moot Court flashbacks.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                  Yeah, noncompetes can be actually pretty difficult to enforce. Noncompetes are supposed to protect companies that have really hard-to-replace employees. For example, a tech company that hires someone who is an expert in a notoriously difficult to learn and manage programming language and is able to create really cool stuff for the company. If that employee quits, it is difficult for the company to replace him or her. But fast food has notoriously high turnover and just about anyone can be easily replaced, so noncompetes are borderline useless in that situation anyway. The only scenario I find relatively understandable is preventing a current employee from working for a direct competitor. I know Starbucks does not allow its employees to work for any other coffee shop while employed, though they can work still work for some other non-direct competitor like, say, Chick-Fil-A.

Not that that stops Starbucks baristas from lowkey taking jobs at independent coffee shops. Working at independent coffee shops usually involves much higher tips and for people who are really into coffee and artistry they can learn a whole lot more about coffee and making latte art and other things. However, Starbucks is much less likely to show up short on the paycheck or suddenly go under and they provide benefits. It is what it is.
                  The other reason for non-competes is to stop a trained employee from taking the training they got at one company and using it at a competitor's. But the skills learned at a fast-food place are nothing specialized, they are pretty generic. I mean flipping a burger or working a counter is the same no matter what restaurant you go to. The reason these are minimum wage jobs is because they are basically unskilled jobs.

Comment

Non-compete clause for flipping burgers? I don't even...

Unless this is unexpected fallout from people demanding top dollar wages to ask, "You want fries with that?"
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Unless this is unexpected fallout from people demanding top dollar wages to ask, "You want fries with that?"
                      Reading more on it, it is worse than keeping them from working at another fast-food restaurant. It actually keeps them from working for another franchisee of the same chain! So you can't go from one Burger King to another!

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        Non compete clauses in the fast food industry are coming under the public eye, with even Congress considering involvement. https://www.cbs17.com/news/investiga...obs/1298896501

Essentially, if you leave your job, you cannot get a job at a competing fast food restaurant. Many workers don't realize they've signed this agreement as part of their new hire paperwork. This seems like an unreasonable burden on people at the bottom of the wage ladder to me. Jimmy John's made headlines a few years ago by scrapping theirs after coming under fire from the Illinois Attorney General, and McDonalds recently got rid of theirs after being sued by workers.
                        It Texas, it's pretty much so that, unless there's really strong language in the contract, AND there are solid proprietary reasons (trade secrets) involved, you cannot deprive a man (generically speaking) of his right to pursue happiness by earning an income.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, think of the intense training it would take to graduate from "you want fries with that" to Chick-Fil-A's "my pleasure!"
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

These have been around for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              These have been around for awhile.
                              Clarification - are you talking about non-competes for the food industry specifically, or in general.

I'm certainly familiar with the latter, never heard of the former.

Comment