Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Annoying on-screen keyboard is annoying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying on-screen keyboard is annoying

It's suddenly started showing up when I try to type in Chrome; any idea how to turn the stupid thing off?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

what kind of computer do you have? is it switching to tablet mode?

Here is some article about Chrome NOT turning on the onscreen keyboard so maybe you could reverse it?

https://www.lovemysurface.net/finall...yboard-issues/

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      what kind of computer do you have? is it switching to tablet mode?

Here is some article about Chrome NOT turning on the onscreen keyboard so maybe you could reverse it?

https://www.lovemysurface.net/finall...yboard-issues/
      It's my work Surface - which doesn't appear to have that flag installed yet.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        It's my work Surface - which doesn't appear to have that flag installed yet.
        is it only in Chrome?

Comment

is it only in Chrome?
          Yep.

sigpic

Comment

Yep.
            The don't use chrome.

Comment

The don't use chrome.

Have to for some stuff.

sigpic

Comment

can't you force the surface to stay in desktop mode in the windows 10 settings? There is a toggle to turn off the on-screen keyboard there too.

Comment

can't you force the surface to stay in desktop mode in the windows 10 settings? There is a toggle to turn off the on-screen keyboard there too.
                  Well, it's running Windows 8.1 Enterprise - and it's pretty well locked down.

sigpic

Comment

Well, it's running Windows 8.1 Enterprise - and it's pretty well locked down.
                    Dang you guys need to upgrade. We went to 10 about a year ago.

Comment

Dang you guys need to upgrade. We went to 10 about a year ago.
                      IT promises we'll be getting actual laptops soon, but the rollout date keeps getting pushed back. They're also in the process of trying to convert our legacy shared drives to the same system as everything else.

sigpic

Comment

IT promises we'll be getting actual laptops soon, but the rollout date keeps getting pushed back. They're also in the process of trying to convert our legacy shared drives to the same system as everything else.
                        Here the lawyers have a choice between Surface Pro 4's and Dell laptops (forget the model, but they look like the surface notebooks, very small and thin) - and they get a docking station at their desk with two monitors and external DVD drive, keyboard and mouse.

I have a Dell Workstation because I do a lot of number crunching and video editing.

We use Netdocs as our document system, and we also have several network drives. Which are all running out of space.

Comment

We use iManage Desksite as our document system, and it is a.w.f.u.l.

I have 2 monitors, separate keyboard and mouse, and successfully begged for an external DVD drive with burn permission (govt agencies generally don't do thumb drives). The Surface is not the latest model, however, and is a little wimpy when it comes to processing power.

sigpic

Comment

I suppose a steam roller is out of the question?

There are a few reasonable sounding suggestions in the comments here.

Bear in mind, 'reasonable' to me may be 'laughable' to everyone else...
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              I suppose a steam roller is out of the question?

There are a few reasonable sounding suggestions in the comments here.

Bear in mind, 'reasonable' to me may be 'laughable' to everyone else...
                              So this has been happening since 2014? wow.

Comment