Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Rewarded for Helping an Older Lady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewarded for Helping an Older Lady

OK, this is just wow....

I was called to the hospital to visit one of our (kinda sorta) members who was in the ER for congestive heart failure. As I was approaching the hospital, the family texted me and said things were much better, under control, he's still in ER, but no hurry.

I parked my car, and - because this hospital is doing a lot of construction - had to park in a different lot than the ER lot.

As I was walking from the lot where I parked to the ER lot, there was a rather large older African-American lady standing at the top of the 6-step stairs that goes from the lot I was in down to the ER lot. She was hanging onto the railing with her left hand, and her folded-up walker with her right hand, and appeared to be hanging on for dear life. Some other ladies were with her, but they appeared to be even older, and somewhat frail.

As I approached her (I never want to insult somebody who appears handicapped, but wants to be independent) I asked her "could you use some help, or are you better doing this on your own". At first, she didn't answer, and neither did the ladies with her. I was about to back away when she said, "maybe I should use some help".

I made sure she has a grip on the railing, then gave her my arm, and took the folded-up walker and handed it to her friends. I told her to hang onto me for her right side, and hold onto the railing with her left side, and we began working her down the stairs, one step at a time.. first right foot down on a step, pause, left foot on that step.... after about 3 steps, she seemed worn out, and I told her "no hurry - we have all night, you're doing great....." She took a breath and started again.

It took about 15 minutes total, I'd guess, and during that time, I noticed a doctor had come out of the ER and was standing there watching. I guess he thought we had things under control, because he appeared ready to step in, but maybe didn't want to disrupt the progress.

When she finally got down to the sidewalk, and we gave her walker back to her, she told me 'thank you', and hugged me for more than just "a quick hug", and thanked me again. Sure, it warms your heart.

Then the doctor, having noticed the Church logo on my shirt, asked "are you the pastor of that church"? I said, "yes sir". He asked, "did you know that lady?" I said, "no, sir, never saw her before". He reached in his pocket, and said "I just wrote out a tithe check, but I don't have a church yet, and I work every Sunday. The name of the Church is not filled out, but otherwise, the check is complete. Would you please put this in your church's offering plate?" I tried the polite "that's not necessary" thing - it kinda caught me really off guard - but he insisted. He handed me the check, folded in half. I put it in my pocket, thanked him, and went into the ER to visit my elderly gentleman.

When I got home, I told my wife the story, and she was amazed. She asked "how much was the check". I looked at it, and was very pleasantly surprised - $5,000.00!!!!!

I'm glad his name and address were on the check, because I never even got his name!
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 08-04-2018, 07:56 PM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Cool story

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Talking serious for a moment. You should write a book with your various stories you've told here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        Talking serious for a moment. You should write a book with your various stories you've told here.
        Thanks, Brum. There is, indeed, a book in the works. I have been blessed with so many wonderful opportunities, it's just... sometimes it's almost overwhelming.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Thanks, Brum. There is, indeed, a book in the works. I have been blessed with so many wonderful opportunities, it's just... sometimes it's almost overwhelming.
          Will definitely want a copy when it is out.

Comment

Absolutely.

Comment

Yes!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Seconded.
                3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

I already seconded it.

You will have to third it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    I already seconded it.

You will have to third it.

OK, thirded.
                    3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Originally posted by LostSheep View Post
                      OK, thirded.

Comment

I 4sthrd it!

Comment

Could we get them signed, Creacher?
                          I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
                            Could we get them signed, Creacher?
                            You bet.

Comment

As Cow Pokes self-appointed literary agent, you each can reserve a personally numbered and signed copy of his best-selling new book by sending $100 to sparko@paypirate.com

Comment