Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Roman Fortifications Question

  1. #21
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66,780
    Amen (Given)
    14533
    Amen (Received)
    29513
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    That seems rather an odd viewpoint. The occupants of Masada did not die in battle they committed mass suicide rather than surrender.
    EGGzackly --- hence the "Never Again Masada". That is spoken several times throughout the ceremony, and, apparently is the 'motto' on the shoulder patch they then wear.

    The commissioning is seen, apparently, as "avenge for us".

    Reuven shared with us that IDF units are still sworn in on Masada’s southern point to this day, inspired by Eleazar’s words, as is all of Israel, and affirming that the Jewish state, like “Masada, shall never fall again.”

    Well, adding a little "colour and texture" goes with the job.
    It do!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  2. #22
    tWebber Hypatia_Alexandria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Free thinking Continental Europe
    Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,078
    Amen (Given)
    133
    Amen (Received)
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    EGGzackly --- hence the "Never Again Masada". That is spoken several times throughout the ceremony, and, apparently is the 'motto' on the shoulder patch they then wear.

    The commissioning is seen, apparently, as "avenge for us".

    Reuven shared with us that IDF units are still sworn in on Masada’s southern point to this day, inspired by Eleazar’s words, as is all of Israel, and affirming that the Jewish state, like “Masada, shall never fall again.”
    Ah a reference to foreign powers taking control in the [Holy Land of] Israel. However, that is also ironic given what happened after the Second Jewish War and Jerusalem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post

    It do!
    Indeed.
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

  3. #23
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66,780
    Amen (Given)
    14533
    Amen (Received)
    29513
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Ah a reference to foreign powers taking control in the [Holy Land of] Israel. However, that is also ironic given what happened after the Second Jewish War and Jerusalem.
    Perhaps that's included in the background for "never again"? Since 1948, they've been on a roll.

    Indeed.
    Yes indeedie.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  4. #24
    tWebber Hypatia_Alexandria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Free thinking Continental Europe
    Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,078
    Amen (Given)
    133
    Amen (Received)
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Perhaps that's included in the background for "never again"? Since 1948, they've been on a roll.
    That has come with its own price.
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

  5. #25
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    66,780
    Amen (Given)
    14533
    Amen (Received)
    29513
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    That has come with its own price.
    What, of value, does not?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  6. #26
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    62,564
    Amen (Given)
    1254
    Amen (Received)
    22465
    With regards to the OP's question in relation to Masada, IIRC the Romans did employ slave labor to help build their fortifications.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

  7. #27
    tWebber Hypatia_Alexandria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Free thinking Continental Europe
    Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,078
    Amen (Given)
    133
    Amen (Received)
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    With regards to the OP's question in relation to Masada, IIRC the Romans did employ slave labor to help build their fortifications.
    Gwyn Davies notes in his 2018 article on the Masada campaign in Biblical Archaeology Review, "It is also likely that Silva drafted Jewish corvée laborers to act as porters manning his supply lines. Even indirect participants in the operation such as these, however, would have increased the logistical demands on the besieging force, so they would have been kept to a necessary minimum.

    However, the Roman army did not take large groups of slave labour with it on its campaigns. Personal slaves, cooks, medical assistants, scribes etc. are another matter.
    Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 07-10-2020 at 05:27 AM.
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

  8. #28
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    62,564
    Amen (Given)
    1254
    Amen (Received)
    22465
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Gwyn Davies notes in his 2018 article on the Masada campaign in Biblical Archaeology Review, "It is also likely that Silva drafted Jewish corvée laborers to act as porters manning his supply lines. Even indirect participants in the operation such as these, however, would have increased the logistical demands on the besieging force, so they would have been kept to a necessary minimum.

    However, the Roman army did not take large groups of slave labour with it on its campaigns. Personal slaves, cooks, medical assistants, scribes etc. are another matter.
    IIRC, it was Simon "Si" Sheppard's The Jewish Revolt AD 66-74 where I read that Silva's besieging force included several thousand prisoners who would of course been used as slave labor.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

  9. #29
    tWebber Hypatia_Alexandria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Free thinking Continental Europe
    Faith
    Death & Taxes
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,078
    Amen (Given)
    133
    Amen (Received)
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    IIRC, it was Simon "Si" Sheppard's The Jewish Revolt AD 66-74 where I read that Silva's besieging force included several thousand prisoners who would of course been used as slave labor.
    I will stay with the opinions of a trained archaeologist rather than those of a graduate in Political Science. However, thank you for the comment.
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

  10. Amen shunyadragon amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •