Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mike Pence on how presidents should behave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think it's just another "we hate him, so we're gonna hate that, too!"
    That's my diagnosis as well. I certainly don't like Pence's politics, and I'm glad Trump being in office means Pence is stuck as second-fiddle, but I don't nitpick the way that man lives his life, trying to at least be consistent with his Christian beliefs. And in fact respect him for it. Good for him.

Comment

Again, what damage?
      http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post567301
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        That's my diagnosis as well. I certainly don't like Pence's politics, and I'm glad Trump being in office means Pence is stuck as second-fiddle, but I don't nitpick the way that man lives his life, trying to at least be consistent with his Christian beliefs. And in fact respect him for it. Good for him.
        Like I have repeatedly said I certainly support his right to do so. There is a rather significant difference between "nitpicking" and having a discussion in which opinions are shared. I'd be much more interested in the latter. I have given an opinion on the matter and given some insight into what I think you loose if you go for his way of dealing with things. I have not given any expression of hate for his choice to do so but just discussed different thoughts on it. This is something rather different than discussing whether it is a good or bad thing that he is a part of the Trump administration.
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

That's such a stupid question.

And you doubled down on stupid.
          AKA you know I'm right but don't want to admit it. Let me know if you have reasons behind your opinions, otherwise feel free to not respond with such a worthless reply.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
            You don't think people make business relationships, progress in their career, or even just do their work by meeting with people one on one?
            You don't think in the era of #MeToo that a career can end in the blink of an eye if you aren't prudent?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              Rumors are far harder to substainate and believe when there’s nothing to build up on. See people tend to believe things based upon what they see in front of them and well, if there’s nothing to see, why believe it? Sure you can take draconian measures and simply punish rumor starters, but that adds a believable factor to the rumor because after all, why shut people up if there’s no truth to it? Oh yeah I should note there is such thing as windows and many offices do have windows.
              There are tons of popular rumors based on nothing more than third-hand knowledge. Disciplining an employee (even with nothing more than a warning) for creating an unsupportive working environment isn't draconian, especially when their behavior is potentially sexist.

You mean beyond the scalps that #metoo collected? While I love your claim that it’s not up to women to avoid accusations that’s nonsense, everyone, men and women, have a responsibility to protect themselves.
              #metoo was based on actual sexual misconduct. This discussion is about Pence's policy which is supposedly based on false sexual misconduct. I don't see the connection.

Do you think women have a responsibility to not be too bossy or emotional in order to protect themselves from these common criticisms? The supporters of sexism, whether they are conscious of that support or not, don't react to specific behavior, they react to women's mere existence. It is merely necessary for a successful woman to exist for people to accuse her of performing sexual favors, just like women being called bossy or emotional doesn't actually require that women act in a particular way. Efforts to avoid this are ultimately in vain.

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              Assertions are the best kind of evidence and repeating it makes it double true. How many sexual scandals have brought down politicians again?
              Those are the only possibilities that make sense. How many false sexual allegations have brought down politicians?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                You don't think in the era of #MeToo that a career can end in the blink of an eye if you aren't prudent?
                #MeToo was about actual sexual misconduct. Nobody arguing against me has been able to provide any evidence at all that false claims of sexual misconduct/infidelity are prevalent and damaging enough, especially for politicians, to justify Pence's policy. #MeToo is irrelevant unless you think Pence is worried he might actually sexually assault or rape a woman.

Comment

#MeToo was about actual sexual misconduct. Nobody arguing against me has been able to provide any evidence at all that false claims of sexual misconduct/infidelity are prevalent and damaging enough, especially for politicians, to justify Pence's policy. #MeToo is irrelevant unless you think Pence is worried he might actually sexually assault or rape a woman.
                  In the current climate the accusation is itself often considered evidence and you might find yourself in the position of having to prove your innocence. This is why it is prudent no to put yourself in a position where the accusation would have credence.
                  Last edited by rogue06; 08-12-2018, 11:32 AM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    In the current climate the accusation is itself often considered evidence and you might find yourself in the position of having to prove your innocence. This is why it is prudent no to put yourself in a position where the accusation would have credence.
                    What makes you think that false accusations are prevalent and damaging?

Comment

He said accusations were rampant, not whether they are true or not. And I didn't see Rogue06 defend those who have been accused.

Comment

Where did I say that I think that?

Comment

• Ah, you mean just anecdotal stuff and your own opinion.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

AKA you know I'm right but don't want to admit it. Let me know if you have reasons behind your opinions, otherwise feel free to not respond with such a worthless reply.
                            Or you could just stop asking stupid questions that serve no purpose.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ah, you mean just anecdotal stuff and your own opinion.
                              Since the particular case we are discussing is not a matter of facts but opinion it would be a bit more interesting if you would discuss opinions. I am sure that what you have got is an opinion too.

Comment

What does it matter to you that a gentleman wishes to have a policy of prudence and common sense?

Comment