Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Leftists Want To Ban Speech...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is why I've been careful not to say they are censoring anyone.

Oh and nice attempt at leading everyone down yet another rabbit hole as you pretend to "Stay focused on the discussion"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      We must SILENCE the opposition!!!! Sieg Heil!!!
      That the progressive left are the real fascists is documented in the current move, "Death of a Nation."
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        That is why I've been careful not to say they are censoring anyone.

Oh and nice attempt at leading everyone down yet another rabbit hole as you pretend to "Stay focused on the discussion"
        I have to admit this constant theme is a tad perplexing. I'm making no conscious attempt to "lead everyone" anywhere. Someone posted a comment about Net Neutrality and free speech and I pointed out the disconnect. Why this has become such a "distraction," I have no idea. As far as I can tell, my observation is correct and no one has said anything to change that perspective. I have no idea where anyone think I am "leading" everyone.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

OK, I just went back through this thread since Rogue's original comment. I think I understand where the "leading everyone" impression is coming from. If I understand this correctly, Rogue was posting about the inconsistency of people objecting to an abridgment of free speech in one context, and then applauding it in another. The first was Net Neutrality and the second was Alex Jones' recent barring. I picked up on the link between between "free speech" and "net neutrality" and Rogue wanted to focus the discussion on the inconsistency of the people making the objection.

I have no opinion on those people. If someone is decrying limits on free speech in one context, and applauding it in another, on the face of it that would seem to be inconsistent. But I haven't seen the articles or heard the claims, so I have no opinion. My comments were specifically about the misconception that Net Neutrality is a free speech issue, whoever has the misconception.

If that focus detracted from Rogue's original point and the intent of his post, then I apologize.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
            It's a whole lot easier to go to a different website than it is to get a different Internet provider (in some areas where only one ISP is available, the latter is outright impossible).
            exactly, so the ISP blocking access would be worse. Yet carp wants to say the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              The first is a statement that has been made, and relates to the right of a property owner to control what is displayed on their property. It is analogous to the billboard argument.

The second is a statement that has never been made by any carrier I know of. So it is FUD. What the ISPs are trying to do is enhance performance of traffic to the services they offer and denigrate the flow of traffic to competition.

Apples and oranges.
              You initially said:
              I have outlined why the two situations are different. One is about the right of a person to use someone else's platform to promote a message. The other is about the right of a transport provider to control which user can get to which platform. There is a huge difference between, "I am not going to let someone use my servers to promote message X" and "I am not going to let people use my network to get to to FaceBook." The former is about the destination; the latter is about the highway.

You made the comment that they were not the same thing, but yes they are. IF the ISP did limit access to certain sites (it is certainly within their power to do so) it would be the equivalent to what is happening now with the social media sites blocking infowars, but actually worse as Terraceth pointed out, because even when social media blocks a site, you can still go to that site directly. But IF the ISP blocked a site, you would be unable to go to it at all. Especially in areas where you only have one ISP.

Comment

OK, I just went back through this thread since Rogue's original comment. I think I understand where the "leading everyone" impression is coming from. If I understand this correctly, Rogue was posting about the inconsistency of people objecting to an abridgment of free speech in one context, and then applauding it in another. The first was Net Neutrality and the second was Alex Jones' recent barring. I picked up on the link between between "free speech" and "net neutrality" and Rogue wanted to focus the discussion on the inconsistency of the people making the objection.

I have no opinion on those people. If someone is decrying limits on free speech in one context, and applauding it in another, on the face of it that would seem to be inconsistent. But I haven't seen the articles or heard the claims, so I have no opinion. My comments were specifically about the misconception that Net Neutrality is a free speech issue, whoever has the misconception.

If that focus detracted from Rogue's original point and the intent of his post, then I apologize.
                We pointed that out to you several times in the thread. Slow down and read what we write.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  We pointed that out to you several times in the thread. Slow down and read what we write.
                  Over and over, again and again.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You initially said:
                    I have outlined why the two situations are different. One is about the right of a person to use someone else's platform to promote a message. The other is about the right of a transport provider to control which user can get to which platform. There is a huge difference between, "I am not going to let someone use my servers to promote message X" and "I am not going to let people use my network to get to to FaceBook." The former is about the destination; the latter is about the highway.

You made the comment that they were not the same thing, but yes they are. IF the ISP did limit access to certain sites (it is certainly within their power to do so) it would be the equivalent to what is happening now with the social media sites blocking infowars, but actually worse as Terraceth pointed out, because even when social media blocks a site, you can still go to that site directly. But IF the ISP blocked a site, you would be unable to go to it at all. Especially in areas where you only have one ISP.
                    Sparko - no one ISP owns the entire Internet. The best they can do is degrade/block performance for their customers. If they are Tier 1, presumably they could do so for any transit traffic, but I know of no incidence where this has been done. And to prohibit a person's "free speech," they would presumably need to do this for any site where they post. So, at best, some fraction of the populace can have some sites degraded. When a Facebook says, "not on my platform," the block is absolute for their platform. Even then, "free speech" is not being prevented because the person in question can post elsewhere, or simply deploy their own servers.

The entire "free speech" thing is simply unrelated to Net Neutrality. As for whether the people with those fears in one place were being inconsistent, I have no view on that. I have not seen what they said, or even if it was the same people saying both things. So I have no comment except to note that, if the same person objects to restricting free speech in one venue and applauds restricting it in another, it is possible they are being inconsistent.

Comment

I did, Sparko. I was simply focused on one aspect and missed the rest. I have already apologized.

Comment

I did, Sparko. I was simply focused on one aspect and missed the rest. I have already apologized.
                        You didn't grovel.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You didn't grovel.
                          yeah! he should have used the grovel emoji!

Comment

You didn't grovel.
                            I'm starting to get that impression.

Comment

I'm starting to get that impression.
                              It's never too late.

Comment

It's never too late.
                                Sorry. I don't do grovel - except in jest.

I assume the other person is capable of graciously accepting an apology. If they're not...

Comment