Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Advertising company forced (?) to remove Greg Laurie's billboards.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    No. Same situation. The message is symbolic. The billboard had a bible on it. The cake too is symbolic.
    Bollocks. The billboard had a religious symbol on it - but the cake I showed you had absolutely nothing symbolic of same-sex relationships on it. No words, no names, no rainbows, no double-brides or double-grooms, nothing. It would equally well suit a mixed-sex or same-sex wedding. Yet again you are equivocating between design in one case vs use in the other.

Not that it matters. You've admitted that you would give a wedding gift to your nephew if he married his girlfriend, but not if he married his boyfriend. You discriminate against homosexuals.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      Bollocks. The billboard had a religious symbol on it - but the cake I showed you had absolutely nothing symbolic of same-sex relationships on it. No words, no names, no rainbows, no double-brides or double-grooms, nothing. It would equally well suit a mixed-sex or same-sex wedding. Yet again you are equivocating between design in one case vs use in the other.

Not that it matters. You've admitted that you would give a wedding gift to your nephew if he married his girlfriend, but not if he married his boyfriend. You discriminate against homosexuals.
      The symbol is in what the cake represents. The CAKE is the symbol. Not what is on it.

Like you giving a wedding gift. It doesn't matter what the gift is, the symbolism is in giving a gift. You are celebrating their marriage with them. Creating a cake for a gay wedding is symbolic of the marriage celebration. That is what the cake is for.

And you are right I would not give a gift for a gay wedding because I do not believe a gay wedding is even valid. It is a sin. Just like I wouldn't give a gift to a pedophile wedding, or a mormon polygamous wedding, or someone wanting to marry their car. It is the event, not the people. I might give those same people a birthday present and attend their birthday party.
      Last edited by Sparko; 08-15-2018, 11:17 AM.

Comment

The symbol is in what the cake represents. The CAKE is the symbol. Not what is on it.
        Also bollocks, unless you want to concede that the BILLBOARD is the symbol, not what is on it.
        And you are right I would not give a gift for a gay wedding because I do not believe a gay wedding is even valid. It is a sin. Just like I wouldn't give a gift to a pedophile wedding, or a mormon polygamous wedding, ...
        So you discriminate against Mormons and Muslims too.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Also bollocks, unless you want to concede that the BILLBOARD is the symbol, not what is on it.
          Ah here we go, the famous Roy nitpicking begins, trying to claim every detail to be exactly the same in both cases. The billboard didn't have any icing on it either!!

So you discriminate against Mormons and Muslims too.
          No, just polygamy.

Comment

Ah here we go, the famous Roy nitpicking begins,
            Billboards usually carry explicit messages but wedding cakes usually don't. That's the difference between the two situations, and it's not nit-picking to point out that you keep pretending that difference doesn't exist.
            Last edited by Roy; 08-16-2018, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Billboards usually carry explicit messages but wedding cakes usually don't. That's the difference between the two situations, and it's not nit-picking to point out that you keep pretending that difference doesn't exist.
              so now "subtle" messages don't count? It is about someone being force to promote a message they don't want to promote. Whether it is approval of gay weddings or printing a billboard with a bible on it or making a KKK T-shirt

Comment

so now "subtle" messages don't count? It is about someone being force to promote a message they don't want to promote. Whether it is approval of gay weddings or printing a billboard with a bible on it or making a KKK T-shirt.
                And you're back to pretending that the design is the problem when you've already admitted that for wedding cakes the design is irrelevant.

The only way you could still not see the difference between what something is vs how it will be used is if you don't want to.

Comment

And you're back to pretending that the design is the problem when you've already admitted that for wedding cakes the design is irrelevant.
                  it is not the design, it is the message. Read what I wrote.
                  At this point I think you are just trolling, because I know you are not so ignorant as to not follow my argument. You are burning straw on purpose.

The only way you could still not see the difference between what something is vs how it will be used is if you don't want to.
                  I should be saying that to you, Roy. You are being willfully ignorant here.

Comment

it is not the design, it is the message. Read what I wrote.
                    I read what you wrote. You wrote "a KKK T-shirt". That's the design.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      I read what you wrote. You wrote "a KKK T-shirt". That's the design.
                      It is a design conveying a message.

A cake is a design too. It doesn't matter if the message is words, a design, a photograph or a symbol. It is still a message that the person making it supports that cause. Heck you liberals even blame us for supporting Trump's every decision when he does something you don't like just because we voted for him. To you that is a message of support from us. Yet when it comes to something like this, you do your damndest to try to find some way to separate the two situations so you can support the view that attacks conservatives and Christians.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        It is a design conveying a message.

A cake is a design too.
                        What message does this design convey?
                        c4c206.jpg
                        Heck you liberals even blame us for supporting Trump's every decision when he does something you don't like just because we voted for him.

Comment

What message does this design convey?
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]29974[/ATTACH]
                          We went over that already. It is a symbol of a marriage. It conveys the celebration of two people getting married. If it is for a gay wedding it would be celebrating a sin and an invalid marriage. Just like if it were made for some other type of wedding that YOU yourself would (probably) consider immoral: like an incestuous marriage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            We went over that already. It is a symbol of a marriage. It conveys the celebration of two people getting married.
                            Exactly. It conveys marriage. It conveys nothing at all about same-sex marriage, and definitely does not convey the message that same-sex marriage is acceptable. Making/selling that cake does not indicate an acceptance of gay marriage.

Comment

Exactly. It conveys marriage. It conveys nothing at all about same-sex marriage, and definitely does not convey the message that same-sex marriage is acceptable. Making/selling that cake does not indicate an acceptance of gay marriage.
                              It most certainly does convey what type of marriage. The specifics of the marriage is very important to whether a marriage is valid or sinful or not. The cake is a symbol of THAT marriage. It might look the same but it certainly is not symbolizing the same thing.

A swastika can be a benign Native American symbol or it can be the symbol of the Nazis. Same design, different meaning depending on the context. Same with a cake.

Comment

The difference that exists kills your point. In the former case, the billboard is the medium which carries the message, while in the latter cake IS the message.
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment