Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Advertising company forced (?) to remove Greg Laurie's billboards.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advertising company forced (?) to remove Greg Laurie's billboards.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/0...e-of-the-bible

My first question is whether or not Irvine Company was actually forced to remove the billboards.

My second question is this? Does this really differ from the recent Supreme Court decision involving Christians choosing not to decorate cakes for homosexual weddings?
    When I Survey....

I find almost all the billboard ads offensive and vulgar. Who do I have to call to have them all taken down?

Comment

At least this appears only to be a single mall (maybe one it owns and manages?) rather than the freeway billboards, for example. I was trying to think if there would be a specific store that threatened an adverse effect on their business, due to a real or perceived loss of sales. There were 3 malls in the area listed as under the ownership by the Irvine Company.

Comment

Since when do people have a right to not be offended?

I think the sign company has a right to accept or refuse any message they want to. But I also think it is wrong for them to accept the job, make the billboards, put them up, and then bow to the pressure of morons complaining because they are "offended"

The sign company obviously did not have a problem with it before then, so it was not a moral conundrum for them and they didn't find it offensive then.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Since when do people have a right to not be offended?

I think the sign company has a right to accept or refuse any message they want to. But I also think it is wrong for them to accept the job, make the billboards, put them up, and then bow to the pressure of morons complaining because they are "offended"

The sign company obviously did not have a problem with it before then, so it was not a moral conundrum for them and they didn't find it offensive then.
          I know you asked Jim to answer, but I thought I'd toss my $.02 in as well. The sign company is in the business of putting up messages. If they put up messages that offend enough of their customer base, they will go out of business. Ergo, the sign company has every right to refuse service to any customer, so long as they are applying the rules equally to all. So if their rule is "no religious messages," then it needs to apply to all. If their rule is "no discriminatory messages," it needs to apply to all. If they refuse messages that contain deceptions, it needs to apply to all.

In the case sited, where the signs had been made and put up, if the business elects to terminate the contract (assuming they can legally do so), they should reimburse the church for any costs incurred by the church that are a direct result of their decision to pull the messages.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            I know you asked Jim to answer, but I thought I'd toss my $.02 in as well. The sign company is in the business of putting up messages. If they put up messages that offend enough of their customer base, they will go out of business. Ergo, the sign company has every right to refuse service to any customer, so long as they are applying the rules equally to all. So if their rule is "no religious messages," then it needs to apply to all. If their rule is "no discriminatory messages," it needs to apply to all. If they refuse messages that contain deceptions, it needs to apply to all.

In the case sited, where the signs had been made and put up, if the business elects to terminate the contract (assuming they can legally do so), they should reimburse the church for any costs incurred by the church that are a direct result of their decision to pull the messages.
            But they already put up religious messages. Then took them down because they offended some people. THEN refused to do business with this particular client.

Also, how is this different than the bakery case? If the bakery has a policy of "No cakes for gay weddings" and they applied it to all, then why do you still think they should not be able to refuse to make cakes for gay weddings?

At least I am being consistent here and think any company should have a choice in what messages they print up or support, whether they are a billboard company, a t-shirt company or a wedding cake artist. You aren't.

Comment

Pray the people that were irked end up going to Harvest and following their conviction that they need to repent and follow Jesus.

Comment

Dollars to donuts it wasn't the company's "customers" who complained. Businesses generally buy advertising; people on the street generally do not.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

But they already put up religious messages. Then took them down because they offended some people. THEN refused to do business with this particular client.
                  Yes- I know.

Also, how is this different than the bakery case? If the bakery has a policy of "No cakes for gay weddings" and they applied it to all, then why do you still think they should not be able to refuse to make cakes for gay weddings?
                  I think I'll give this a pass. I've answered this in several forms in various places, and another rehash is not going to go anywhere. I know your views are fixed and not subject to review (as best I can tell). My mind is pretty well made up as well. I'll review if someone provides a new argument or new evidence, but I'm not going to rehash the well hashed.

At least I am being consistent here and think any company should have a choice in what messages they print up or support, whether they are a billboard company, a t-shirt company or a wedding cake artist. You aren't.
                  Your opinion is duly noted. I have the opposite view. My position is actually perfectly consistent. I realize you do not see it as such, but that is because you are defining your way to your conclusion.
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Dollars to donuts it wasn't the company's "customers" who complained. Businesses generally buy advertising; people on the street generally do not.
                    The point stands - if there is a loud enough ruckus, the business runs the risk of alienating potential customers. They will factor that into their decision. This is no different than a newspaper choosing what to print, a church deciding what advertisements they will and will not put in their weekly bulletin, etc.

Comment

Perhaps this should be moved to Civics? Or a branch to Civics? Since this forum is Christian only, JimL can't answer here (unless maybe given special permission?)

Comment

Yes- I know.

I think I'll give this a pass. I've answered this in several forms in various places, and another rehash is not going to go anywhere. I know your views are fixed and not subject to review (as best I can tell). My mind is pretty well made up as well. I'll review if someone provides a new argument or new evidence, but I'm not going to rehash the well hashed.
                        No, you don't just get to run away and ignore your own hypocrisy, Carp. Answer the question. If the bakery has a policy of "No cakes for gay weddings" and they applied it to all, then why do you still think they should not be able to refuse to make cakes for gay weddings?

Comment

Originally posted by Celebrian View Post
                          Perhaps this should be moved to Civics? Or a branch to Civics? Since this forum is Christian only, JimL can't answer here (unless maybe given special permission?)
                          oops. I didn't even notice that. I will move it.

If Faber has a problem I can make a split thread later.

Comment

Originally posted by Celebrian View Post
                            That's pretty much why I put it here. But feel free to change it.
                            When I Survey....

Comment

The point stands - if there is a loud enough ruckus, the business runs the risk of alienating potential customers. They will factor that into their decision. This is no different than a newspaper choosing what to print, a church deciding what advertisements they will and will not put in their weekly bulletin, etc.
                              Not especially. Billboards are about location. I mean, businesses are free to choose not to advertise somewhere, but who's going to (not) notice?
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment