Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Blue Waves and Red Waves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    So the midterms are taking a decided shift to the right, and the blue wave, if it manifests, is decidedly muted. There is a good chance that Republicans will pick up two seats in the Senate, which is not a huge surprise, given the number of seats being defended by Dems. The best they could have hoped to win was a tie, and even that was a stretch. The house is more disappointing. Reps have picked up five seats in the last week to add to the "leaning/likely/solid" column, bringing them within 4 seats of the Dems with 29 seats tossed up. First to 218, of course, controls the house. It still generally leans (slightly) to Dems, but not by the wave originally hoped for.

More disconcerting is this poll from CNN, suggesting that the general populace thinks there is a significant chance Trump will win re-election in 2020.

How incredibly sad for this country.
    How horribly sad for the left of this country.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So the midterms are taking a decided shift to the right, and the blue wave, if it manifests, is decidedly muted.
      To what do you attribute this?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Then he's apparently confused about my stance concerning illegal immigration.
        That could very well be. It's been a while since I've seen your stance, and you tend to be so consistently supportive of the left (aside from economics) that it's easy to be lazy and assume.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

So the midterms are taking a decided shift to the right, and the blue wave, if it manifests, is decidedly muted. There is a good chance that Republicans will pick up two seats in the Senate, which is not a huge surprise, given the number of seats being defended by Dems. The best they could have hoped to win was a tie, and even that was a stretch. The house is more disappointing. Reps have picked up five seats in the last week to add to the "leaning/likely/solid" column, bringing them within 4 seats of the Dems with 29 seats tossed up. First to 218, of course, controls the house. It still generally leans (slightly) to Dems, but not by the wave originally hoped for.

More disconcerting is this poll from CNN, suggesting that the general populace thinks there is a significant chance Trump will win re-election in 2020.

How incredibly sad for this country.
          how droll...It won't be any sadder for the country than 8 years of George W or 8 years of Obama...
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

How is that disconcerting at all? Or even relevant? It's not even a poll about whether they'd vote for or want Trump to win (such a poll would be so premature it'd be almost useless, but it'd at least be something), but whether they think he could win or not. That really doesn't mean anything at all in regards to his odds of winning.

Comment

• The past year I predicted that Trump would get elected again. The Democrats in the US haven't done the work they should have done to win re-election. They're animated, but it hasn't galvanised them. Not yet at least. Its still early, but the longer time goes on now, the smaller their already small chances will get.

Comment

I am increasingly disenchanted with this country. I don't wake up and enjoy checking the news. I don't like what our leaders our doing - or how our citizens are behaving. Why would I want to continue to be a member of a country I am increasingly embarrassed of? I have been considering a shift for some time now. If 2018 and 2020 continue to put very ugly people in positions of political power - I'll probably move on.

If you consider that childish... I'll live with it....
                That's how most conservatives felt for all of Obama's time as president.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                  That's how most conservatives felt for all of Obama's time as president.
                  But that was okay.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    The past year I predicted that Trump would get elected again. The Democrats in the US haven't done the work they should have done to win re-election. They're animated, but it hasn't galvanised them. Not yet at least. Its still early, but the longer time goes on now, the smaller their already small chances will get.
                    If anything I think they are sabotaging themselves.

Comment

• Well the Democrats just lost another one of their wavelets...

‘I Stand for the Flag, I Kneel at the Cross’: PA Dem Forced to Resign After Facebook Posts Deemed Offensive

A top Democrat in Pennsylvania said that he was forced to resign due to past Facebook posts that were deemed controversial.

Mark Salvas told CBS 2 Pittsburgh that he was asked by the chair of the Allegheny County Democratic Party to resign, largely because of a photo from last year that showed him and his wife with the words "I stand for the flag, I kneel at the cross."

Democrats in Allegheny County were reportedly offended by his patriotic post, as well as another by his wife that asked to support an officer charged in the fatal shooting of an African-American teen in June.

"I’m not ashamed of my patriotism, not one bit," said Salvas, a Gulf War veteran. "I fought for this country. I think I have a right to have a voice and be patriotic."

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/10/1...facebook-posts

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Well the Democrats just lost another one of their wavelets...

‘I Stand for the Flag, I Kneel at the Cross’: PA Dem Forced to Resign After Facebook Posts Deemed Offensive

A top Democrat in Pennsylvania said that he was forced to resign due to past Facebook posts that were deemed controversial.

Mark Salvas told CBS 2 Pittsburgh that he was asked by the chair of the Allegheny County Democratic Party to resign, largely because of a photo from last year that showed him and his wife with the words "I stand for the flag, I kneel at the cross."

Democrats in Allegheny County were reportedly offended by his patriotic post, as well as another by his wife that asked to support an officer charged in the fatal shooting of an African-American teen in June.

"I’m not ashamed of my patriotism, not one bit," said Salvas, a Gulf War veteran. "I fought for this country. I think I have a right to have a voice and be patriotic."

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/10/1...facebook-posts
                        "Top Democrat" is stretching things a bit; he was the executive director for Allegheny County Democrats. He'd also only been on the job a few weeks. The cynic in me speculates that the party decided he wasn't a good fit and found a reason to get rid of him.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                          The past year I predicted that Trump would get elected again. The Democrats in the US haven't done the work they should have done to win re-election. They're animated, but it hasn't galvanised them. Not yet at least. Its still early, but the longer time goes on now, the smaller their already small chances will get.
                          They don't work on issues. They work on emotion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            How horribly sad for the left of this country.
                            I think it is sad for all of us - but some of us just don't realize it. The man in our White House is now the head of the Republican party. His broad support in that party attests to this. It is now the party of Trump. As they say, a fish rots from its head. If the Republican party has truly dropped to the point where this is the best they can do, then the Republican party has fallen a long way from the days of Lincoln, Roosevelt, and Reagan. And if such a party can win two presidential elections in a row with such a man - then our country as a whole has been sadly diminished.
                            Last edited by carpedm9587; 10-16-2018, 12:31 PM.
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              To what do you attribute this?
                              Not clear. I suspect the Kavanaugh exchanges energized Reps more than they had been. I also suspect that the Dems are simply not very clear where they want to go. The Reps are almost completely focused on Trump (sadly enough for the party), but the Dems have no such figure. If Sanders can get his mojo together, that might shift for 2020. Meanwhile, Dems lack a clear, resounding message and clear, resounding figures to champion their ideals. Unlike the Reps, which have made the collective decision to slide far to the right (there are comparatively few moderate Reps any more), Dems are still struggling with the left/moderate split.
                              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                That could very well be. It's been a while since I've seen your stance, and you tend to be so consistently supportive of the left (aside from economics) that it's easy to be lazy and assume.
                                My impression is you don't really understand the position of the left, either. You (and others here) have apparently bought into the drivel from the White House that the left somehow WANTS illegal immigration and DOESN'T want security. If the Dems are guilty of anything, it's not being clear about their message, and letting the "simple" (and wrong) message from the right dominate.

After a while, I get weary of the lies...

Comment