Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Blue Waves and Red Waves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Possible - but not sure I want to learn the language. France is a possibility. But I have to admit to loving the far north. The societies in Norway and Sweden are off the map on the "happiness" index, and it's very appealing. But I do have to convince my wife....
    The Spanish were among one of the more friendly groups of people I met in Europe, the weather wasn’t bad if you can deal with 2 months of rain out of the year, and tons of cultural landmarks and traditions from one of the oldest cultures in Europe.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      The Spanish were among one of the more friendly groups of people I met in Europe, the weather wasn’t bad if you can deal with 2 months of rain out of the year, and tons of cultural landmarks and traditions from one of the oldest cultures in Europe.
      Certainly on my list to visit.

So are you trying to get rid of me, Pix?
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Certainly on my list to visit.

So are you trying to get rid of me, Pix?
        Nah, just giving a suggestion. It’s one of the few places that could temp me to move since it isn’t freezing like Nothern Europe, more friendly than most other places, and isn’t fully if drewy clouds like England. Italy was pretty nice and would be another tempting place. The language barrier isn’t bad, plenty know English and are pretty willing to work with those willing to learn their language. I got lots of Spanish practice in my 6 months there thanks to willing nationals on base. I’d suggest visiting Seville, Cadiz, and I heard that Barcelona was good too.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Possible - but not sure I want to learn the language.
          That's what's keeping me from moving to Scotland.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No. I'll continue to vote for how I think this country should be - and if the left and right continue to act like mobs - I'll find another country. Will be difficult, because this "nationalism" and "populism" crap is infecting many countries, so finding one not subject to it will be a challenge. I was thinking Australia - but maybe Norway or Denmark would be better. Don't know - haven't really started doing that digging. Have a friend that is moving to Belize. Maybe I'll look into that.
            on those housing shows a lot of expat Americans end up in south America. Just don't go to Canada. Mossy is up there with her Pin!

Comment

• I would move to Germany. Not because I am a Nazi but because I am half-German and have family over there. I could probably get my German citizenship back. Italy is really nice too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                on those housing shows a lot of expat Americans end up in south America. Just don't go to Canada. Mossy is up there with her Pin!
                My cousin lives in Montreal, but I understand the influx of Americans wanting to move to Canada has increased significantly in the last two years (I wonder why ) and they now have a significant backlog. Probably not in the cards.
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  More importantly, it's actually pretty tough to emigrate to Canada, as this video humorously explains:

(yeah, I know the guy in the video is known for having some kind of crazy opinions, but in this video he's fine)

Comment

My cousin lives in Montreal, but I understand the influx of Americans wanting to move to Canada has increased significantly in the last two years (I wonder why ) and they now have a significant backlog. Probably not in the cards.
                    Backlog? You mean, you intend to abide by their laws?!? What kind of lame excuse is that? I thought those only applied to citizens.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Backlog? You mean, you intend to abide by their laws?!? What kind of lame excuse is that? I thought those only applied to citizens.

Comment

I think he's poking you about illegal immigration - just sneak into Canada!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Heck no. Undocumented, not illegal.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Heck no. Undocumented, not illegal.
                            Yes sir - and it's not a "bug", it's an undocumented feature.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Then he's apparently confused about my stance concerning illegal immigration.

Comment

• So the midterms are taking a decided shift to the right, and the blue wave, if it manifests, is decidedly muted. There is a good chance that Republicans will pick up two seats in the Senate, which is not a huge surprise, given the number of seats being defended by Dems. The best they could have hoped to win was a tie, and even that was a stretch. The house is more disappointing. Reps have picked up five seats in the last week to add to the "leaning/likely/solid" column, bringing them within 4 seats of the Dems with 29 seats tossed up. First to 218, of course, controls the house. It still generally leans (slightly) to Dems, but not by the wave originally hoped for.

More disconcerting is this poll from CNN, suggesting that the general populace thinks there is a significant chance Trump will win re-election in 2020.

How incredibly sad for this country.

Comment