Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Blue Waves and Red Waves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Cool.
    Actually - it's fairly warm here...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Actually - it's fairly warm here...
      We finally got to use the pool last night! After a bunch of rainy gloomy days, and the pool temperature being slightly on the "chill" side, it was wonderful!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We finally got to use the pool last night! After a bunch of rainy gloomy days, and the pool temperature being slightly on the "chill" side, it was wonderful!
        I'm in week 2 of a 5-week road trip with little time for pools...

I am SO ready to retire...
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I'm in week 2 of a 5-week road trip with little time for pools...

I am SO ready to retire...
          I used to take my grandkids with us on roadtrips, and we'd always make sure we found a hotel with an indoor heated pool. Once, we were in Ohio visiting my parents, and the kids were playing in the indoor heated pool (the enclosure was like a huge glass greenhouse) and there was a full force BLIZZARD going on outside! That was so fun.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I used to take my grandkids with us on roadtrips, and we'd always make sure we found a hotel with an indoor heated pool. Once, we were in Ohio visiting my parents, and the kids were playing in the indoor heated pool (the enclosure was like a huge glass greenhouse) and there was a full force BLIZZARD going on outside! That was so fun.
            Those were the days...

And this makes me a bit sad... because we're going through the "rebellious separation" thing with my youngest. Eventually, this too will pass. Until then...

Comment

Those were the days...

And this makes me a bit sad... because we're going through the "rebellious separation" thing with my youngest. Eventually, this too will pass. Until then...
              Hang in there, sir --- my 40-something rebellious teenager has finally awakened and wants to be a human again - she's living with us, temporarily separated from her husband, and working toward rebuilding her life.

Interestingly enough, she has 3 children, all of whom are good solid decent kids with positive attitudes and goals for "doing good, not evil".

Comment

• Two more districts just slipped from "leans/likely/solid" Republican to "toss-up" giving Dems 206 "leans/likely/solid" seats (14 currently held by Reps); Reps have 188 "leans/likely/solid," (1 currently held by a Dem) and 41 seats are toss-ups (39 currently held by Reps). There is no change to the Senate map, but Trumps approval gap continues to widen (currently -13.1)

I think a red wave is pretty much out of the question, and we're about to see a referendum on Trump...

Comment

Hang in there, sir --- my 40-something rebellious teenager has finally awakened and wants to be a human again - she's living with us, temporarily separated from her husband, and working toward rebuilding her life.

Interestingly enough, she has 3 children, all of whom are good solid decent kids with positive attitudes and goals for "doing good, not evil".
                  Oh I hang...and know he has to walk his own path. I'm going on with my life...but just find myself reflecting back sadly on the relationship we used to have. When I was traveling and he was younger, we used to be on a Skype call for 3-4 hours each evening. Not always talking - he just wanted to connection open and he could hear me working typing or we'd watch a show "together." I think I'm grieving the loss a bit...while recognizing it is inevitable. Kids have to separate.

Comment

Oh I hang...and know he has to walk his own path. I'm going on with my life...but just find myself reflecting back sadly on the relationship we used to have. When I was traveling and he was younger, we used to be on a Skype call for 3-4 hours each evening. Not always talking - he just wanted to connection open and he could hear me working typing or we'd watch a show "together." I think I'm grieving the loss a bit...while recognizing it is inevitable. Kids have to separate.
                    I'll add you to my personal prayer list whether you want me to or not, and whether you think it actually makes a difference or not.

I think my daughter actually stayed awake at nights thinking "What can I do to make my Dad REALLY REALLY angry" -- and, yeah, we used to be so close, she'd go everywhere with me. Then, when she turned 17, she just disappeared, and for 3 months I didn't even know if she was still alive.

It's been a long long journey, but I think she's finally back. And, yes, we killed the fatted calf* and I put a ring on her finger (besides the one she had in her nose and all the tattoos of the "culture of death" ) I think one of my biggest mistakes was that I 'rescued her' too many times, and didn't allow her to hit bottom. When she hit bottom for real, she woke up.

We would often pray for her to "come to herself"....
                    Luke 15:17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! 18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, 19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants. 20 And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.

*had a good ol' Texas BBQ and pool party

Comment

I'll add you to my personal prayer list whether you want me to or not, and whether you think it actually makes a difference or not.
                      I may be a heathen - but I recognize an act of kindness when I see it. Thx.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      I think my daughter actually stayed awake at nights thinking "What can I do to make my Dad REALLY REALLY angry" -- and, yeah, we used to be so close, she'd go everywhere with me. Then, when she turned 17, she just disappeared, and for 3 months I didn't even know if she was still alive.

It's been a long long journey, but I think she's finally back. And, yes, we killed the fatted calf* and I put a ring on her finger (besides the one she had in her nose and all the tattoos of the "culture of death" ) I think one of my biggest mistakes was that I 'rescued her' too many times, and didn't allow her to hit bottom. When she hit bottom for real, she woke up.

We would often pray for her to "come to herself"....
                      Luke 15:17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! 18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, 19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants. 20 And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.

*had a good ol' Texas BBQ and pool party
                      I let my son hit bottom. He just seems to bounce...

Comment

I may be a heathen - but I recognize an act of kindness when I see it. Thx.

I let my son hit bottom. He just seems to bounce...
                        I'll pray he bounces back! If you don't mind, PM me his first name, or make one up as a proxy.

Comment

I'll pray he bounces back! If you don't mind, PM me his first name, or make one up as a proxy.
                          Michael. He has an "a," unlike his pa.

Comment

Michael. He has an "a," unlike his pa.

Comment

I don't think you're going to resolve a contentious issue by just reversing the decision. If Roe v Wade stays in place, conservatives will "go crazy." If it is overturned, liberals will "go crazy." Abortion is contentious because it pits two closely held values against one another: life, and liberty. I is messy because it deals with the reality of two intertwined lives, with each side focusing on one life and largely ignoring the other. Like tic-tac-toe, there is only one resolution to the abortion issue that I can think of: not to play. Use every tool at our disposal to change the culture around abortion so that freedom is not impinged and abortion is as non-existent as it is possible to be. It will never be 100% non-existent.
                              Of course it wouldn't "resolve" the issue; I never said it would. But it would move the contentious issue to where it should be, which is the legislature, and away from the Supreme Court. Remember, an overturning of Roe v Wade doesn't make abortion illegal, it just lets the state legislatures (and to a much lesser extent, the federal congress) decide what policies to enact on it. Whether that be a blanket ban, a blanket allowing, or something in between is up to the states, and people can aim to change it through their state legislatures. By shifting where the battle is held to the states (the place where it should be held anyway), this stops the issue from infesting the appointment process as much as it has.
                              Last edited by Terraceth; 09-19-2018, 07:24 PM.

Comment

I guess I'm not seeing the shock value, for a number of reasons. First, when there is scandal, it is not uncommon for the seat to flip. In this case the Democrat was convicted of a felony....
                                Let's get back to this part for a minute... what's your source for the claim that Gallego was convicted of a felony. I think by "the Democrat", you actually mean Carlos Uresti, who resigned earlier this year after 11 felony convictions. So he wasn't the one running.

It was a special election in which another Democrat - Pete Gallego - was attempting to hold the Democratic seat for the 140th year, and got beat by a Republican who wasn't even a politician.

Comment