Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Blue Waves and Red Waves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also if you lean socially left, I'm sure they'll consider you left wing full stop. That you consider yourself centrist due to your fiscal leanings will be neither here nor there. If anything it'll make you a closet liberal - I think I've seen MM say words to that effect previously.

Comment

So I was looking at a chart in regards to midterms. Starting with 1902, there have been 29 midterm elections. In all but 4 of those, the President's party lost seats in the House of Representatives (Senate was better, with 7 times gaining seats, and 2 times being zero sum). It seems fairly consistent that the tide turns against the party the President is of.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
        Do you? Lean VERY strongly socially left I mean? By the standards in here maybe, but I wouldn't consider you particularly left wing generally.

Probably an American thing- left wing & liberal tend to mean different things over there it appears.
        Possibly. Perspective can change.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
          Also if you lean socially left, I'm sure they'll consider you left wing full stop. That you consider yourself centrist due to your fiscal leanings will be neither here nor there. If anything it'll make you a closet liberal - I think I've seen MM say words to that effect previously.
          Oh I've been called many things here and elsewhere. Such is life. What people say and think doesn't change who I am.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            Because my answer would differ in a different political climate. I actually align with more of Sander's positions than Reagan's.

I am a centrist "on average." Fiscally, I lean right. Socially, I lean VERY strongly left.
            So not a centrist at all then.

Comment

Oh I've been called many things here and elsewhere. Such is life. What people say and think doesn't change who I am.
              And what you say you are isn't necessarily who you am either!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                So not a centrist at all then.

On average - I end up coming up slightly left of center.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  And what you say you are isn't necessarily who you am either!
                  Well, I tend to subscribe to the view that, if a man tells me I am not accurately reflecting their views, perspectives, or ideas - I'm going to listen. After all - it is THEIR views, perspectives, and ideas. Telling other people what they think seems, to me, to be a pointless exercise. I realize it is a common practice around here.

Comment

Well, I tend to subscribe to the view that, if a man tells me I am not accurately reflecting their views, perspectives, or ideas - I'm going to listen. After all - it is THEIR views, perspectives, and ideas. Telling other people what they think seems, to me, to be a pointless exercise. I realize it is a common practice around here.
                    That's not really what you think at all.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Special Election turnout has been pretty low - barely 20% of those who voted in almost every precinct. The Dems turned out in higher percentages of total votes from the Pres election for each county than the Trump voters. Normal election days are far different and can't be realistically used to gauge any sort of "shift". 200K votes total in a district of almost 700K
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Capture.JPG
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          That's not really what you think at all.
                          OK - that was funny...

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]29716[/ATTACH]
                            OK - I love statistics and data. I'm just not sure if this has a point...?

Comment

OK - I love statistics and data. I'm just not sure if this has a point...?
                              None of the districts swung any significant amount from the POTUS from a percentage standpoint. So to call this a shift is not born out by the actual data.
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                                None of the districts swung any significant amount from the POTUS from a percentage standpoint. So to call this a shift is not born out by the actual data.
                                So something is amiss. In 2016, according to this, Trump received 53% of the vote in the Ohio 12th district, and Clinton received 42%, a spread of 11%. As of tonight, the spread in the special election is 0.9%. That's a shift of 10 percentage points to the left, which is consistent with most of the other special elections.

So I'm not sure where your data comes from, or why it appears to be so off. I'll see if I can figure it out.

Comment