Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Blue Waves and Red Waves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Face it, CP - if Trump is the best the GOP has - the GOP is a very sad party indeed.
    Face it, Carpe - I never said he was.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Face it, Carpe - I never said he was.
      Then "compartmentalizing" makes no sense. The GOP should be saying, nice policies - bad man - let's find someone better.

And they're not...
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Then "compartmentalizing" makes no sense.
        The Dems did it rather effectively with Bill Clinton.

The GOP should be saying, nice policies - bad man - let's find someone better.
        Nice policies - bad man.

Happy?

And they're not...
        Not to you, anyway.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          With the exception of the Never Trumpers nearly all those who passionately hate him also are against his accomplishments as well. No need to compartmentalize for them.
          There should be no compartmentalizing at all. When we elect men as morally and socially bankrupt as Trump into office, we are compromising ourselves. When we then defend or excuse their behavior, we become part of it. The GOP is not just defending and/or excusing the behavior, they are reveling in it. Corruption has always been an issue in politics - but the GOP has now descended to turning a blind eye to it when it is right in front of their faces - or excusing it. Whatever happened the the "party of family values?" It seems to me to be a party bereft of values.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

There should be no compartmentalizing at all. When we elect men as morally and socially bankrupt as Trump into office, we are compromising ourselves. When we then defend or excuse their behavior, we become part of it. The GOP is not just defending and/or excusing the behavior, they are reveling in it. Corruption has always been an issue in politics - but the GOP has now descended to turning a blind eye to it when it is right in front of their faces - or excusing it. Whatever happened the the "party of family values?" It seems to me to be a party bereft of values.
            I know what you mean by "morally" (and I don't disagree), but what do you mean by "socially bankrupt?"
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

The Dems did it rather effectively with Bill Clinton.
              First - this is a classic case of "what aboutism." It's no more than a child saying, "but mommy, Jimmy did it too!" It doesn't excuse anything. And Clinton was morally reprehensible in one area that I know of: sex. Trump's moral debasement cuts across the fabric of the man, including sex, money, cronyism, childish-schoolyard bullying tactics, lying and then repeating the lies, and the list just goes on and on. We have not had such an immoral man in that office in living memory. Even Nixon was better.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Nice policies - bad man.

Happy?

And apparently the best man the GOP could find. THAT's the problem.

Not to you, anyway.
              I see essentially no movement within the GOP to restrain/rebuke Trump (not his policies - his childish and immoral behavior) and/or find another candidate to replace him in 2020. Do you know about something I don't know about?

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                I know what you mean by "morally" (and I don't disagree), but what do you mean by "socially bankrupt?"
                I mean that all of the norms we teach our children are absent in this man. If my son engaged online the way Trump does, he'd lose access (or would if he were still under my roof). If he treated other people the way Trump treats them, he'd be grounded until he could be civil. If he name-called the way Trump name-calls, he'd be hauled over to apologize for his actions. The man has no social decency - and most of the GOP celebrates his "refreshing honesty" (which is ironic in the extreme, given the degree to which he flagrantly lies).

IMO, POTUS should be a shining example of what our children and people should strive to be. Well, people are now striving to be like Trump - and it's pretty ugly.

Comment

I mean that all of the norms we teach our children are absent in this man. If my son engaged online the way Trump does, he'd lose access (or would if he were still under my roof). If he treated other people the way Trump treats them, he'd be grounded until he could be civil. If he name-called the way Trump name-calls, he'd be hauled over to apologize for his actions. The man has no social decency - and most of the GOP celebrates his "refreshing honesty" (which is ironic in the extreme, given the degree to which he flagrantly lies).

IMO, POTUS should be a shining example of what our children and people should strive to be. Well, people are now striving to be like Trump - and it's pretty ugly.
                  Oh, ok. Thanks.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

First - this is a classic case of "what aboutism."
                    Liberal talking point #27

It's no more than a child saying, "but mommy, Jimmy did it too!" It doesn't excuse anything. And Clinton was morally reprehensible in one area that I know of: sex. Trump's moral debasement cuts across the fabric of the man, including sex, money, cronyism, childish-schoolyard bullying tactics, lying and then repeating the lies, and the list just goes on and on. We have not had such an immoral man in that office in living memory. Even Nixon was better.
                    You'll have to find somebody else to defend Trump's behavior.

And apparently the best man the GOP could find. THAT's the problem.
                    It was a really weird set of circumstances, and Trump ended up being it. That, by no means, indicates he was the best the GOP could find.

I see essentially no movement within the GOP to restrain/rebuke Trump (not his policies - his childish and immoral behavior) and/or find another candidate to replace him in 2020. Do you know about something I don't know about?
                    I think - as I said before - many are 'compartmentalizing' -- ignoring his behavior because they approve of his policies. But DO feel free to flog away!

Comment

There should be no compartmentalizing at all.
                      In an ideal world, that's true - in the most intensely partisan climate we have now, it should be no surprise whatsoever.

Comment

Liberal talking point #27
                        Horse hockey...

You'll have to find somebody else to defend Trump's behavior.
                        I believe my comments were about the GOP. Last I knew, you are not a member of the party.

It was a really weird set of circumstances, and Trump ended up being it. That, by no means, indicates he was the best the GOP could find.
                        The numbers are not in support of your position. Trump won the Rep nomination by the vote of the members of the GOP. Trump won the election by the votes of the GOP (plus some independents). Trump has 87% approval rating by the members of the GOP, with 2/3 saying "strongly approve."

Apparently, a huge slice of the GOP believes Trump is the best they have. As I noted - a sad commentary.

I think - as I said before - many are 'compartmentalizing' -- ignoring his behavior because they approve of his policies. But DO feel free to flog away!
                        Compartmentalizing is just a euphamism for "looking the other way."

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Comment

In an ideal world, that's true - in the most intensely partisan climate we have now, it should be no surprise whatsoever.
                          I'm not surprised, CP. I'm suggesting that perhaps we should strive to do better.

Comment

Horse hockey...

I believe my comments were about the GOP. Last I knew, you are not a member of the party.

The numbers are not in support of your position. Trump won the Rep nomination by the vote of the members of the GOP. Trump won the election by the votes of the GOP (plus some independents). Trump has 87% approval rating by the members of the GOP, with 2/3 saying "strongly approve."

Apparently, a huge slice of the GOP believes Trump is the best they have. As I noted - a sad commentary.

Compartmentalizing is just a euphamism for "looking the other way."

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
                            Bull pucky!

Comment

I'm not surprised, CP. I'm suggesting that perhaps we should strive to do better.
                              We?

Comment

First - this is a classic case of "what aboutism."
                                A typical left wing meme

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment