Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Pastor. Let Questions Come

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pastor. Let Questions Come

Should members of the congregations ask questions? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Link.

-----

Should Christians ask questions? Let's jump into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Monday I did a podcast with the Mentionables. In it, Marc Lambert of Hey, Pastor, talked about how as a pastor he encourages people to ask questions. Too many pastors seem to shy away from questions or tell people to not ask them or to just have faith.

An attitude of not answering questions does no favors to anyone in your congregation if you're a pastor. Someone who is questioning is someone who is wanting to learn. When your children go to school, you want them to ask the teacher questions so you can learn. Do you not want them to learn at church?

My wife has been looking into Orthodoxy lately. I'm not a big fan of it, but I do agree with something that the priest at the church said. Truth doesn't need to be afraid to ask any questions. He's absolutely right on that. No pastor should be afraid of questions.

"But Nick! What if they have a question I can't answer? What then?!"

How about this? You go and say "Let's find an answer together." Do the research with them. Show them how it can be answered. You will not only help them answer the question, but you will teach them that it's okay to ask and how to go about answering questions.

One of the big reasons people leave the church is unanswered questions. They then buy into the whole idea that faith is believing without evidence. This is a blatantly false idea, but it still gets around. Sadly, too many people who will read a Richard Dawkins saying this will have more than enough evidence from their Christian friends that this is exactly what it means.

I posted a link to the Mentionables above. They also do have a network pastors where you can find people in your area who are willing to answer questions. These people, like myself, aren't big names yet and will likely jump at the chance to do any work and will have openings in their schedules. This means that if you really just can't get around to doing this, there are people who you can find who will help out.

Apologetics if you're a pastor should be part of your ministry. Consider giving a sermon. When you open up the text, would it kill you to give some of the historical background? Could you talk about the date of the text and who wrote it and why? Could you perhaps share any archaeological data that has been found?

You can still go and explain the text and give an application. It is not that hard. When my grandmother died, I was one of three people assigned to speak at her funeral. I had ten minutes. What did I do? I spent the first five minutes talking about the resurrection of Jesus and how we know it's true. I spent the last five talking about what it meant for everyone there who is a believer, including my grandmother. It worked great. The message got a lot of positive response. That took just a few minutes.

The best church my wife and I ever went to had a program set up where during the sermon, you could text in a question that you have. The pastor would then come out at the end and answer questions. If a question required a greater response, he would make a vlog about it sometime during the week for people to watch. No one could leave that church saying questions were unwelcome.

Pastor. Please encourage the asking of questions. Refusing them only creates future atheists. If people want to learn about God, don't deny them.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Great topic, Nick!

Several churches ago, I was meeting with the Wednesday Night crowd, and explained that my "style" of preaching was less formal on Sunday evenings, and intentionally casual on Wednesdays.
    I encouraged them to ask questions, interrupt, ask for Biblical support if I make a claim, etc --- just not during the Sunday Morning Sermon.

Nobody would ever ask questions! I pretty much begged them, on Wednesday nights --- NOBODY has a question or comment?

At one of our subsequent deacon meetings, I asked about that. Why is it that nobody will ask questions. It got pretty quiet, and I asked again, and finally, one of the older deacons explained....

The previous pastor, who had been there for about 25 years, actually discouraged questions, and once when somebody tried to ask a question, he allegedly turned purple and yelled "How DARE you question the man of God!"

I asked, "ok, when I teach, particularly on Wednesday nights, do you ever have questions in your mind?" Most of them nodded yes.

I said, "ok, so this next Wednesday night, I need a couple of you to actually voice whatever questions you may have, and let's break this "no questions" nonsense".

Wednesday nights became much more enjoyable, and they began to see I don't throw hymnals or yell at people who ask questions.

And when they asked something I didn't know, I'd say "ok, let's all do some homework on that for next Wednesday night, and see what we find out".

So, yeah, I'm with you on this, Nick - 100%
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

How can you trust something you can not even ask questions about? That whole "How DARE you question the man of God!" business is pathetic bordering on something much worse.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        How can you trust something you can not even ask questions about? That whole "How DARE you question the man of God!" business is pathetic bordering on something much worse.
        The scary thing is that this pastor ending up being the pastor at the church I came FROM. He didn't last long there, because I had set the tone of "I'm an open book - ask what you will".

So, he got his comeuppance. Didn't take long for the folks to think "what's he got to hide?"
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I almost apostasized in high school after my youth pastor told me "Don't think, just believe." I get her being fed up with me because I was edgy and angsty and probably a threat to the whole social order of the group, but there had to be a better way.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

What is up with those "no questioning!" idiots? Did those fools never hear of the Bereans? Or "test everything and hold on to what it true"? Or "Come and reason with Me"? I just have to wonder what Jesus would have to say to those foolish "leaders" that end up causing spiritual harm by claiming that asking questions is a sin. When I was a teen with questions, I did my own research in books to verify that my faith was indeed in the Truth.
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Personally, I think they're afraid there will be a question they can't answer, and are too insecure to admit they don't know the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Personally, I think they're afraid there will be a question they can't answer, and are too insecure to admit they don't know the answer.
                It still makes them look sketchy. Especially if they try to act like "blind faith" is true instead of trust and loyalty based on evidence.

Comment

When the Apostle Paul wrote, "We walk by faith and not by sight" it could actually be translated, "We walk by faith and not by outward appearance." Remember Ananias and Sapphira.
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                    Remember Ananias and Sapphira.
                    Ananias and Sapphira answered the questions -- just not honestly.

Comment

Were A & S the first recorded case of people attempting fraud in the Church?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                        Were A & S the first recorded case of people attempting fraud in the Church?
                        How DARE you question the man of God!

um.... perhaps so!

Comment

They did make their bad choice based on appearances.
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Probably noticed that the other people donating money got praised for it and well...

A: Those guys(insert two common names for first century Judea) just sold a field and gave all the money to the Church!
                            S: And everyone is talking about what a great thing they did. I want to be honored also!
                            A: Of course! But we don't want to actually give that much.
                            S: We could keep some, but we won't be as honored the same.
                            A: Well, we could claim that we gave all of it, but actually secretly keep some of it for ourselves.
                            S: That sounds like a wonderful plan! No one will find out!

And then Peter immediately knows what they did and they fall dead from the shock or something.

Comment

Atheists are not created by a lack of answers. It is really the opposite. They notice a couple of things; that the religion IS the book, and that the premises employed to read the book religiously are, at the very best, unproven. The atheist sees the entire project as bankrupt and in need of a major refurbishment. The details at the level of apologetics are purely for those already invested in the system. You cannot teach an atheist that way.
                              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment