Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Rep. Devin Nunez caught on tape.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Actually it takes three wrongs to equal one right.

Assuming "left" = "wrong." Which it generally does.
    Yeah, and it's not even about "two wrongs" making anything right - it's about rank hypocrisy.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Well, since the Democraps have made it their mission to hurl as much poo against the wall hoping something will stick, of course the Republican House is all that is left to protect the President. As we saw with the Clinton Impeachment, the Dems do not care about the law. Should they somehow get a majority in the House, they WILL impeach Trump regardless of if they have actual sufficient evidence to do so, and their vote will be to impeach him just because they hate him.
      The Constitutional role of the House of Representatives is NOT to protect the president. A little issue is separation of powers.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        Actually it takes three wrongs to equal one right.

Assuming "left" = "wrong." Which it generally does.
        . . . and Donald tRump always tells the truth.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          The Constitutional role of the House of Representatives is NOT to protect the president. A little issue is separation of powers.
          Nor was that the Constitutional role of the cabinet in Bill Clinton's administration, but they did it. Politics is funny like that.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Yeah, Democrats NEVER protected Bill Clinton.
            But Trump is "draining the swamp" of twenty years ago when Bill Clinton ruled the world. Remember?

It is the role of the Legislative Branch of Government NOT to protect the president but to protect the Constitution. A role shamelessly abrogated by Nunes and his partisan cronies. They need to follow the example of their colleagues in the Senate.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              But Trump is "draining the swamp" of twenty years ago when Bill Clinton ruled the world. Remember?
              Oh, I get it -- you think all politicians tell the truth!

It is the role of the Legislative Branch of Government NOT to protect the president
              You're so full of crap it's not funny. You can claim that all you want, but it's a steaming pile of horsiepoo. The "Legislative Branch of Government" is made up of a bunch of politicians, most of whom are incredibly partisan, and there's nothing keeping them from "backing their guy".

Comment

Nor was that the Constitutional role of the cabinet in Bill Clinton's administration, but they did it. Politics is funny like that.
                Two wrongs do not make a right. There is an outright claim by Nunes that his purpose is to protect the president.

Frank

Comment

Two wrongs do not make a right.
                  Congratulations! You've climbed the ladder to JimL logic!

It's not about two wrongs making a right - it's about abject hypocrisy.

There is an outright claim by Nunes that his purpose is to protect the president.
                  Actual quotation, please, in context.

Comment

Oh, I get it -- you think all politicians tell the truth!
                    Certainly not Trump's henchmen, true!

You're so full of crap it's not funny. You can claim that all you want, but it's a steaming pile of horsiepoo.
                    As charming as ever Preacher; your sermons must be a riot.

The "Legislative Branch of Government" is made up of a bunch of politicians, most of whom are incredibly partisan, and there's nothing keeping them from "backing their guy".
                    The "Legislative Branch of Government" in the Senate seem able to maintain a degree of integrity that is very distinctly lacking in the cesspit of the lower house. Nunes is completely abrogating his responsibility by protecting President Donald Trump as his primary responsibility.

" That came into new relief this week with the leak of audio captured at a fundraiser in Washington state at which Nunes was a speaker. It was made crystal clear that Nunes is choosing the role of party leader over his constitutional role of legislative oversight."

Nunes actual quotation: “If Sessions (Attorney General Jeff Sessions) won’t unrecuse and Mueller won’t clear the president, we’re the only ones,” Nunes said. The context: “We” means congressional Republicans.

https://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/ed...216443225.html
                    Last edited by Tassman; 08-11-2018, 02:29 AM.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      Well, since the Democraps have made it their mission to hurl as much poo against the wall hoping something will stick, of course the Republican House is all that is left to protect the President. As we saw with the Clinton Impeachment, the Dems do not care about the law. Should they somehow get a majority in the House, they WILL impeach Trump regardless of if they have actual sufficient evidence to do so, and their vote will be to impeach him just because they hate him.
                      And the evidence for all of this is?

(Sorry did not mean to amen the post )
                      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

. . . and Donald tRump always tells the truth.
                        Of course. That is why those who believe their saviour said: “The truth will set you free” are so likely to support him.
                        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Is the full transcript of the tape available anywhere?
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                            It is the role of the Legislative Branch of Government to protect the Constitution, NOT protect the president.
                            And this is why you shouldn't comment on American politics, because you don't understand it.

It is the job of the JUDICIAL branch to ensure that the Constitution is upheld.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Following the rabbit trail left by Tassman, here is the original story:

The Rachel Maddow Show has obtained exclusive, secret audio of Rep. Devin Nunes speaking candidly to donors at a private fundraiser for Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers.

NBC News: Secret recording shows GOP’s Nunes saying Rosenstein impeachment would delay Supreme Court pick

Below are the transcripts of the portions aired on the August 8, 2018 episode of The Rachel Maddow Show:

Clip #1:

The Rachel Maddow Show, 8/8/18, 8:21 PM ET
                              TRMS Exclusive: Devin Nunes at fundraiser audio clip 1
                              REP. NUNES (R-CA): “So therein lies, so it’s like your classic Catch-22 situation where we were at a – this puts us in such a tough spot. If Sessions won’t unrecuse and Mueller won’t clear the president, we’re the only ones. Which is really the danger. That’s why I keep, and thank you for saying it by the way, I mean we have to keep all these seats. We have to keep the majority. If we do not keep the majority, all of this goes away.”

Clip #2:

The Rachel Maddow Show, 8/8/18, 8:26 PM ET
                              TRMS Exclusive: Devin Nunes at fundraiser audio clip 2
                              REP. NUNES (R-CA): “They know it’s ridiculous to go after the president for obstruction of justice. But if they tell a lie often enough and they put it out there and they say, ‘Oh, we’re looking at the tweets,’ cause you know you’ve got a mixed bag on the tweets, right? Like sometimes you love the president’s tweets, sometimes we cringe on the president’s tweets. But they’re trying to make a political, this is all political as to why that story ran in the New York Times on the tweets.”

Clip #3:

The Rachel Maddow Show, 8/8/18, 8:53 PM ET
                              TRMS Exclusive: Devin Nunes at fundraiser audio clip 3
                              REP. NUNES (R-CA): “Now if somebody thinks that my campaign or Cathy’s campaign is colluding with the Chinese, or you name the country, hey, could happen, it would be a very bad thing if Cathy was getting secrets from the Portuguese, let’s say, just because I’m Portuguese, my family was. So Cathy was getting secret information from the Portuguese. You know, may or may not be unusual. But ultimately let’s say the Portuguese came and brought her some stolen emails. And she decided to release those. Okay, now we have a problem, right? Because somebody stole the emails, gave ‘em to Cathy, Cathy released ‘em. Well, if that’s the case, then that’s criminal.”

Clip #4:

The Rachel Maddow Show, 8/8/18, 9:05 PM ET
                              TRMS Exclusive: Devin Nunes at fundraiser audio clip 4
                              AUDIENCE MEMBER: “But also, on things that came up in the House on Rosenstein impeachment thing. And it appears from an outsider that the Republicans were not supported.”

REP. NUNES (R-CA): “Yeah, well, so it’s a bit complicated, right? And I say that because you have to, so we only have so many months left, right? So if we actually vote to impeach, okay, what that does is that triggers the Senate then has to take it up. Well, and you have to decide what you want right now because the Senate only has so much time. Do you want them to drop everything and not confirm the Supreme Court justice, the new Supreme Court justice? So that’s part of why, I don’t think you have, you’re not getting from, and I’ve said publicly Rosenstein deserves to be impeached. I mean, so, I don’t think you’re gonna get any argument from most of our colleagues. The question is the timing of it right before the election.”

REP. MCMORRIS RODGERS (R-WA): “Also, the Senate has to start –”

REP. NUNES (R-CA): “The Senate would have to start, the Senate would have to drop everything they’re doing and start to, and start with impeachment on Rosenstein. And then take the risk of not getting Kavanaugh confirmed. So it’s not a matter that any of us like Rosenstein. It’s a matter of, it’s a matter of timing.”

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...d=sm_tw_maddow
                              In other words, it's nothing like what liberals are making it out to be. What a surprise.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                And this is why you shouldn't comment on American politics, because you don't understand it.

It is the job of the JUDICIAL branch to ensure that the Constitution is upheld.
                                I think they all swear to uphold the Constitution, and it's the job of all three branches to protect it.

That's why I'd like to read the entirety of Noonie's comments, for fuller context. I can easily envision that they believe the Special Counsel office is unconstitutional in general (I think that's Turley's view), and that the FBI and larger DOJ have acted unconstitutionally since well before the investigation started. If so, protecting POTUS *is* defending the Constitution.
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment