Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Rep. Devin Nunez caught on tape.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    The "Legislative Branch of Government" in the Senate seem able to maintain a degree of integrity that is very distinctly lacking in the cesspit of the lower house.
    That may have been true at one time, but as MM has so aptly pointed out, it's the JUDICIAL branch, not the Legislative branch, that protects the Constitution.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      Certainly not Trump's henchmen, true!

As charming as ever Preacher; your sermons must be a riot.

The "Legislative Branch of Government" in the Senate seem able to maintain a degree of integrity that is very distinctly lacking in the cesspit of the lower house. Nunes is completely abrogating his responsibility by protecting President Donald Trump as his primary responsibility.

" That came into new relief this week with the leak of audio captured at a fundraiser in Washington state at which Nunes was a speaker. It was made crystal clear that Nunes is choosing the role of party leader over his constitutional role of legislative oversight."

Nunes actual quotation: “If Sessions (Attorney General Jeff Sessions) won’t unrecuse and Mueller won’t clear the president, we’re the only ones,” Nunes said. The context: “We” means congressional Republicans.

https://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/ed...216443225.html
      You are obviously not very familiar with the history of the US Senate. People have actually come to blows in the Senate; I'm not sure that's true of the House. Also, Harry Reid? Chuck Schumer? Integrity?
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        And this is why you shouldn't comment on American politics, because you don't understand it.

It is the job of the JUDICIAL branch to ensure that the Constitution is upheld.
        And it is up to Congress to keep a check on the President. Congress was meant to be the most powerful branch, not the President. I think you knew that when Obama was President, but somehow that escaped you after Trump was elected.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          You are obviously not very familiar with the history of the US Senate. People have actually come to blows in the Senate; I'm not sure that's true of the House.
          The notorious Brooks–Sumner Affair of 1858 immediately springs to mind

And it wasn't the equivalent of a schoolyard tussle. Brooks nearly killed Sumner as he continued to beat him well after he was unconscious.

Far less known is the brawl between the two Senators from South Carolina, Tillman and McLaurin in 1902, who when they offered official apologies to the Senate almost came to blows yet again.

Fighting was more common in the House of Representatives.

Also, Harry Reid? Chuck Schumer? Integrity?
          Reid? You mean the same Harry Reid who was quite proud of how he lied through his teeth about Mitt Romney not paying income taxes later boasting with a smirk "it worked didn't it?" The same Harry Reid who funneled something like $31,000 in campaign funds to his granddaughter Ryan Elisabeth Reid and tried to conceal it on campaign disclosure forms by listing her as "Ryan Elisabeth"? The same Harry Reid who's sudden announcement of his decision to retire coincidentally took place as a number of probes into corruption started coming to light? Naw. He's an overflowing cup filled with the very cream of human goodness.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

For those obviously unfamiliar with the way the "three EQUAL branches of government" are set up, here is a very basic explanation that should be understandable, even by anybody in this thread.

Three Branches: Separate but Equal

The powers of our federal (national) government are divided into three branches: legislative, executive, and judicial. The branches are separate but equal. They each have special responsibilities concerning laws, the principles that govern our nation.

Legislative Branch
            Congress: Senate (100 members) and the House of Representatives (435 members)

** Makes Laws **
            • Creates and passes bills (proposed laws)
            • Approves appointments and treaties (agreements) made by the President
            • Sets and collects taxes
            • Coins money
            • Makes rules for trade between states
            • Declares war

Executive Branch
            • Signs into law or vetoes (rejects) bills passed by Congress
            • Commands the armed forces
            • Appoints judges, ambassadors, and other federal officials
            • Makes treaties with other countries
            • Receives diplomats from other countries
            • Represents the U.S. at special ceremonies

Judicial Branch (Supreme Court )

• Can decide if a law is constitutional
            • Can decide if a Presidential action is constitutional
            • Reviews court cases related to the Constitution and federal laws
            • Reviews cases tried in lower courts

Adapted from Scholastic Skills Books: Our Nation's Government ("Legislative Branch" and "Judicial Branch" editions).

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              For those obviously unfamiliar with the way the "three EQUAL branches of government" are set up, here is a very basic explanation that should be understandable, even by anybody in this thread.

Three Branches: Separate but Equal

The powers of our federal (national) government are divided into three branches: legislative, executive, and judicial. The branches are separate but equal. They each have special responsibilities concerning laws, the principles that govern our nation.

Legislative Branch
              Congress: Senate (100 members) and the House of Representatives (435 members)

** Makes Laws **
              • Creates and passes bills (proposed laws)
              • Approves appointments and treaties (agreements) made by the President
              • Sets and collects taxes
              • Coins money
              • Makes rules for trade between states
              • Declares war

Executive Branch
              • Signs into law or vetoes (rejects) bills passed by Congress
              • Commands the armed forces
              • Appoints judges, ambassadors, and other federal officials
              • Makes treaties with other countries
              • Receives diplomats from other countries
              • Represents the U.S. at special ceremonies

Judicial Branch (Supreme Court )

• Can decide if a law is constitutional
              • Can decide if a Presidential action is constitutional
              • Reviews court cases related to the Constitution and federal laws
              • Reviews cases tried in lower courts

Adapted from Scholastic Skills Books: Our Nation's Government ("Legislative Branch" and "Judicial Branch" editions).

That will come as quite a shock to those who think it's the court's job to make laws.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                That will come as quite a shock to those who think it's the court's job to make laws.
                Well, yeah, cause they kinda sorta been doing that.

Comment

It is the job of the JUDICIAL branch to ensure that the Constitution is upheld.
                  No. The Constitution; was divided into three parts: the executive, the legislative, and the judicial. Each of these three branches has a check on the powers of the others. These checks provide a system of balance in the government, i.e. it’s a system of checks and balances.

Nunes, by protecting the president from the investigation of possible collusion with a hostile foreign government...which has already been shown to have meddled in the US elections... is subverting the role of checks and balances provided for in the Constitution.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                    And it is up to Congress to keep a check on the President. Congress was meant to be the most powerful branch, not the President. I think you knew that when Obama was President, but somehow that escaped you after Trump was elected.
                    And this is why you shouldn't comment on American politics. Any grade school student can tell you that each of the three branches are equal in power and designed so as to be a check on the other two.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

And this is why you shouldn't comment on American politics. Any grade school student can tell you that each of the three branches are equal in power and designed so as to be a check on the other two.
                      EGGzackly. There isn't supposed to be a "most powerful branch".

Comment

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                        No. The Constitution; was divided into three parts: the executive, the legislative, and the judicial. Each of these three branches has a check on the powers of the others. These checks provide a system of balance in the government, i.e. it’s a system of checks and balances.

Nunes, by protecting the president from the investigation of possible collusion with a hostile foreign government...which has already been shown to have meddled in the US elections... is subverting the role of checks and balances provided for in the Constitution.
                        They are all responsible for upholding the Constitution, but it's the Judicial branch that is explicitly tasked with ensuring compliance.

Second, you'll have to explain how protecting the Executive branch from an unwarranted investigation that has quickly spun into an out-of-control witch-hunt is unconstitutional.

Comment

They are all responsible for upholding the Constitution, but it's the Judicial branch that is explicitly tasked with ensuring compliance.
                          The system of checks and balances is an important part of the Constitution. With checks and balances, each of the three branches of government can limit the powers of the others. This way, no one branch becomes too powerful.

https://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_sepp.html

Second, you'll have to explain how protecting the Executive branch from an unwarranted investigation
                          The investigation is warranted by the unquestioned evidence that Russia interfered with the 2016 election and is continuing to do so. “A Republican-controlled Senate panel has said that further evidence has been found to support a US intelligence assessment that Russia interfered in the 2016 presidential election to help elect Donald Trump.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-senate-panel

that has quickly spun into an out-of-control witch-hunt is unconstitutional.
                          There is no “witch-hunt” except in the paranoid mind of Donald J Trump. You need to ask why he is behaving as though he’s guilty by doing everything in his power to shut down the investigation.
                          Last edited by Tassman; 08-13-2018, 12:50 AM.
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Like it or not MM, the Congress is the most powerful branch of the U.S. Government. Whether you understand that or not is irrelevent to the point made. It is the responsibility of Congress to oversee and check the abuse of presidential power and this present Congressional investigation, led by Paul Ryan and Devin Nunez is protecting the administration rather than honestly investigating them.
                            Last edited by JimL; 08-17-2018, 11:16 AM.

Comment

JimL must've skipped that class.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

JimL must've skipped that class.
                                I think he might have skipped all of grade school.

Comment