Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The "What movie are you watching this weekend?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "What movie are you watching this weekend?" thread

Husband and I signed up for AMC A-List recently, so now I can get to the theater more often guilt-free and am more willing to see movies in theaters that are just OK. Previously I probably went once or twice a month and veered towards movies that I was pretty sure I was going to like.

Last weekend:
    • The Incredibles 2 (saw with my son, I think the first one was a better movie but I may have enjoyed this one more given the more prominent role of Elastigirl)
    • Hereditary (overall very good, but I'm not sure the ending worked. Some ace misdirection in the trailers for sure)

This weekend:
    • The Meg (should have called it "The Meh")
    • Eighth Grade (tonight)

Also gonna see Teen Titans Go! to the Movies on $5 Ticket Tuesday with my son.

Earlier this year
    • Black Panther (loved it)
    • Avengers: Infinity War (enjoyed it)
    • Deadpool 2 (enjoyed it)
    • Solo: A Star Wars Story (meh)
    • Annihilation (loved it)
    • Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (see my review here)
    • Ant-Man and the Wasp (loved it)
    • Ready Player One (enjoyed it)
    • A Quiet Place (very good if you can suspend your disbelief on some things)
    • Game Night (I technically saw this on an airplane, not in theaters, but I'm counting it and I enjoyed it)
    • Mission Impossible: Fallout (I guess it was good, but not 97% on Rotten Tomatoes good)

Movies only, TV shows probably deserve another thread. I've only covered theatrical releases, not Netflix / Amazon / Hulu / YouTube Red exclusives, but feel free to bring those up if you saw any good ones.
    Last edited by MsJack; 08-11-2018, 06:43 PM.
    "It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

Weighted Glory | Christians for Biblical Equality | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable

I'm gonna watch either Doctor Strange or Thor Ragnarok.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Last movie I got to see in theaters was Captain America. Most recent I saw on Netflix was Despicable Me 3. The list of movies I want to see is rather large right now, but I don't get to do so very often due to my constant headache. >90% of the time they just aren't enough of a distraction from my constant headache.

Teen Titans Go!

At least it looks like they started putting episodes of the good Teen Titans on Cartoon Network. I need to check if it is also on their on demand channel.

Still upset that they will leave stuff like that for so long, but interesting stuff like Atomic Puppet, and Symbionic Titan get cancelled/not renewed almost instantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        Last movie I got to see in theaters was Captain America. Most recent I saw on Netflix was Despicable Me 3. The list of movies I want to see is rather large right now, but I don't get to do so very often due to my constant headache. >90% of the time they just aren't enough of a distraction from my constant headache.
        Been a year or so since I went out of the house to a movie. Don't even recall what it was.

Teen Titans Go!
        Truly.

At least it looks like they started putting episodes of the good Teen Titans on Cartoon Network. I need to check if it is also on their on demand channel.

Still upset that they will leave stuff like that for so long, but interesting stuff like Atomic Puppet, and Symbionic Titan get cancelled/not renewed almost instantly.
        What's the latest on the return of Young Justice? That was a really well done series.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I'd planned to watch Godzilla vs. Monster Zero on Comet, but I forgot and missed most of it.

For some reason, I enjoy those silly old rubber-suit kaiju flicks. Well, actually, only the ones with Big G, and only the ones where he's the "good guy."
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I'm gonna watch either Doctor Strange or Thor Ragnarok.
            Watched the latter. Best of the three Thor movies and loved their use of Led Zeppelin's "The Immigrant Song" when Thor fought.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              Been a year or so since I went out of the house to a movie. Don't even recall what it was.

Truly.

What's the latest on the return of Young Justice? That was a really well done series.
              I haven't kept up with that one. What I saw was really good. Last I heard they were bringing it to Netflix to finish up the series. Cartoon Network seems to be run by idiots these days.

I watched part of Ready Player One this weekend, pretty good so far. Only to the first key though.

Comment

I get all of my movies from Netflix (online and Bluray rental)

This weekend I watched Wonder Woman and Justice League.

Justice League was not that great. The main bad guy was CGI and so were the superheroes in a lot of the scenes, especially superman. And it wasn't very good CGI either. Plus the story line was very formulaic and predictable. Evil baddy from space/another dimension terrorized earth, superheroes must band together to save planet. Basically same story as the Avengers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Justice League was not that great. The main bad guy was CGI and so were the superheroes in a lot of the scenes, especially superman. And it wasn't very good CGI either. Plus the story line was very formulaic and predictable. Evil baddy from space/another dimension terrorized earth, superheroes must band together to save planet. Basically same story as the Avengers.
                  I haven't seen it yet, but in fairness, that particular formula recapitulates the original founding of the JL, albeit with some different characters (Cyborg in, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, and Hawkman out) and a different villain.

Likewise the Avengers movie recapitulated the essence of the founding of the Avengers, but with different heroes (no Ant-Man/Giant Man) and setting (instead of Loki being the mastermind, he was only an agent of Thanos).

I don't mind the writers maintaining those historical links.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                    I haven't seen it yet, but in fairness, that particular formula recapitulates the original founding of the JL, albeit with some different characters (Cyborg in, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, and Hawkman out) and a different villain.

Likewise the Avengers movie recapitulated the essence of the founding of the Avengers, but with different heroes (no Ant-Man/Giant Man) and setting (instead of Loki being the mastermind, he was only an agent of Thanos).

I don't mind the writers maintaining those historical links.
                    It's not so much "historical links" as a stereotypical and predictable superhero 'team' movie. It was very shallow.

Plus I didn't like Superman. They did some weird digital effects on him. His suit was all shiny and he looked fake, like he was made out of plastic or something.

This trailer pretty much nails it:

Last edited by Sparko; 08-15-2018, 10:02 AM.

Comment

It and the Avengers: Infinity Wars pretty much did in plans to do a Justice League v. Darkseid movie which is a shame since Darkseid is far more sinister a villain than Thanos and the all too forgettable what's his face in the JL movie.

Comment

It and the Avengers: Infinity Wars pretty much did in plans to do a Justice League v. Darkseid movie which is a shame since Darkseid is far more sinister a villain than Thanos and the all too forgettable what's his face in the JL movie.
                        I didn't like the Flash in the movie either, he was a wiimp. And they didn't have the Green Lantern or Hawkman, or the Green Arrow, or a ton of characters. Not much of a Justice League.

Comment

I didn't like the Flash in the movie either, he was a wiimp. And they didn't have the Green Lantern or Hawkman, or the Green Arrow, or a ton of characters. Not much of a Justice League.
                          It was an interesting take on him -- an inexperienced rookie hero who wasn't sure he could be a superhero. From that angle he did a credible job. But it also came across that he was the comic relief meant to balance all that %#@$# brooding.

Comment

It was an interesting take on him -- an inexperienced rookie hero who wasn't sure he could be a superhero.
                            You mean he was like the new Spiderman?

From that angle he did a credible job. But it also came across that he was the comic relief meant to balance all that %#@$# brooding.
                            I didn't like the lightning every time he ran. A bit overdone. He is supposed to be a blur, not a lightning bolt.

Comment

The last movie I watched was Star Wars: The Last Jedi, after it came onto Netflix. Overall, I didn't hate it... but I didn't really love it either. It was a mixed bag for me.

I eventually plan to watch the new Ghostbusters movie. I know I'm going to hate it going in, based on the trailer alone... but I want to watch it so I can see how bad it is.
                              Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment