Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The "What movie are you watching this weekend?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MsJack View Post
    I have been meaning to check out the Duck Tales reboot. I'm glad to hear it's been good.

I loved the entire DC animated universe growing up. Named my daughter "Harley."
    DCAU was great. Bruce Timm and Carl Lumbly were the best things to happen to J'onn J'onzz, IMO.

And yeah, Harley was a genius move. Supposed to be a one-off, and became kind of a staple in all versions of the DCU.

These days I seldom find time for non-adult cartoons. (On the adult cartoon front, I love Archer, Rick & Morty, and Bojack Horseman. A friend just introduced me to a YouTube series called Confinement that I also like a lot.)
    I watch Archer pretty much any time it's on. Well, except for the past two seasons. Haven't really enjoyed either "Dreamland" or "Danger Island." Some episodes are weak, but some keep me laughing beginning to end. The one with Archer, Ray, and Cyril on the raft on the croc-infested river... "Waiting for the niiight!"

I just saw Big Hero 6 this year and it was better than I expected from the trailers.
    Agreed.

BlacKkKlansman was amazing. I almost never cry at movies. Movies that have made me cry come along maybe once every few years. I didn't exactly cry, but my eyes were misty at the end. It is also extremely funny in many places.
    Embarassing: The *only* movie I can think of that ever makes me misty -- and it *always* does -- is Lilo an Stitch. *SMH*

As a historian, I have to caution that there has been some controversy about its portrayal of what Ron Stallworth's KKK infiltration. But many of the things in the film did happen.
    I'm somewhat intrigued by the trailers for The Finale.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Superhero physics are rarely even tenuously connected to reality.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30022[/ATTACH]

That last one reminds me of Superboy Prime and Pantha:

Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

I have been meaning to check out the Duck Tales reboot. I'm glad to hear it's been good.

I loved the entire DC animated universe growing up. Named my daughter "Harley." These days I seldom find time for non-adult cartoons. (On the adult cartoon front, I love Archer, Rick & Morty, and Bojack Horseman. A friend just introduced me to a YouTube series called Confinement that I also like a lot.)

I just saw Big Hero 6 this year and it was better than I expected from the trailers.

snip
        I was very hesitant about seeing DuckTales rebooted*, but so far I love it. It's very funny, and they throw in loads of stuff from old Disney Cartoons as references. Even some semi-crossover episodes. Don Karnage, Darkwing Duck, and the Gummi Bears all make appearances. As far as reboots go it's the best one I can think of. It's not perfect, and some changes I didn't like, but overall I've gotten to the point that I like it better than the old one. The new one is just funnier, and often more interesting. Of course, I had to go back and compare them directly by getting the old ones on DVD to really get a good look at both given how long it had been. Now if only they would give Darkwing Duck, and Gargoyles their own reboots of this quality.

Yeah, Batman The Animated Series, Superman, Justice League, Batman Beyond, The Zeta Project, and Static Shock were all great. Harley Quinn was one of my favorite female villains in the Batman cartoon as well. She got very popular very fast.

I've heard mixed things about all of those shows you mention. Probably the last adult cartoon I watched was Futurama.

*The art and voices took some getting used to admittedly. Although I think David Tennant does a good job as Scrooge, even if he is no Alan Young.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          DCAU was great. Bruce Timm and Carl Lumbly were the best things to happen to J'onn J'onzz, IMO.

And yeah, Harley was a genius move. Supposed to be a one-off, and became kind of a staple in all versions of the DCU.

I watch Archer pretty much any time it's on. Well, except for the past two seasons. Haven't really enjoyed either "Dreamland" or "Danger Island." Some episodes are weak, but some keep me laughing beginning to end. The one with Archer, Ray, and Cyril on the raft on the croc-infested river... "Waiting for the niiight!"

Agreed.

Embarassing: The *only* movie I can think of that ever makes me misty -- and it *always* does -- is Lilo an Stitch. *SMH*

Ohana means family. Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            ... Gargoyles ...
            YES!!! Great show! (The use of several STTNG actors for character voices helped. I especially liked that Xanatos actually kind of resembled Jonathan Frakes.)

It did have a problem that tends to occur in animated series: The art and animation in the first several episodes were brilliant -- vivid and vibrant -- but then became more mundane. I got the feeling that they put a ton of time, effort, and money into the first few to get it established, then... well, "slacked off," for lack of a better term.

Same thing happened with the original TMNT, IMO.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

YES!!! Great show! (The use of several STTNG actors for character voices helped. I especially liked that Xanatos actually kind of resembled Jonathan Frakes.)

It did have a problem that tends to occur in animated series: The art and animation in the first several episodes were brilliant -- vivid and vibrant -- but then became more mundane. I got the feeling that they put a ton of time, effort, and money into the first few to get it established, then... well, "slacked off," for lack of a better term.

Same thing happened with the original TMNT*, IMO.
              I think they did it with all of them to a degree back then when animation was a much more difficult process.

They did that kind of thing in the first few episode IIRC. Mixed up colors on the masks, wrong voices for the characters, and I'll never forget Splinter yelling "Hi, Sacajawea!" as he threw Leonardo across the room. That last part happened in a later episode when they thought they had gotten rid of Shredder for good.

I'm still frustrated at some of the more recent stuff I've liked getting cancelled. Symbionic Titan*, Young Justice, and while Atomic Puppet wasn't cancelled, they haven't renewed it in over a year since the last episode. Maybe now that the latter is on Netflix it will get some more attention. Supposedly Young Justice was brought back, but I didn't get to see any of the newer stuff if true.

*They said they couldn't come up with any toys to sell for it.
              For Young Justice they were upset that "too many girls" liked the show.

Comment

The one with Archer, Ray, and Cyril on the raft on the croc-infested river... "Waiting for the niiight!"
                My favorite line is from Pam: "Who do I look like, Cypher? Gayest X-Man?"

That is an unusual choice. The ending of Triangle (2009 horror film) is the last thing I can think of that had me in tears, though I guess that's an unusual pick, too.

I'll probably skip that one. WW2 (or, in this case, post-WW2) dramas don't usually do much for me. But it's nice to see Poe Dameron continuing to get work.

Now if only they would give Darkwing Duck, and Gargoyles their own reboots of this quality.
                A Gargoyles reboot could be amazing. The My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic reboot would get my award for best reboot so far.

Quinn was one of my favorite female villains in the Batman cartoon as well. She got very popular very fast.
                If you look up "Harley" in the Social Security database, it was more popular as a boy's name until 1993-1994, when it became more popular as a girl's name.

Had my son been a girl, he would have been "Ivy." (Which, incidentally, also used to be a boy's name, once upon a time.)

Yup, I remember hearing about this. Studio execs can be real idiots sometimes. I think one of the things that drew me to the 90s Batman animated series was that it had a lot of female villains. That episode where Batman was fighting Red Claw and she says, "You would fight a woman?" and he says, "I'm an equal-opportunity crime fighter" . . . Yeah. I was hooked.

Now that the Wonder Woman movie made all that sweet cash, I wonder how many of them are re-thinking their "no girl comic book superhero movies/shows" policy that was silently in place for about a decade.

For the movie agenda this week: definitely Crazy Rich Asians. Maybe take my son to see Christopher Robin for $5 ticket Tuesday. Might see The Happytime Murders if it gets good reviews, but the trailer didn't look that great.
                "It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

Weighted Glory | Christians for Biblical Equality | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable

Comment

My favorite line is from Pam: "Who do I look like, Cypher? Gayest X-Man?"
                  My personal favorite character of that entire show is Dr. Krieger. "Lo Scandolo," and, "Placebo Effect," are my two favorite episodes.

Might see The Happytime Murders if it gets good reviews, but the trailer didn't look that great.
                  I... have very mixed feelings about that from the trailer. For one, a buddy-cop Crime Drama involving puppets and humans has appeal to me (I'm totally down with a Who Framed Roger Rabbit caper with puppets), but the trailer makes it seem they're entirely going for below-the-belt humor on this one instead of exploring the whole gamut of comedic potential. And if The Slammin' Salmon has taught us anything, you can't carry a movie on that kind of humor alone.
                  Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

I'm still frustrated at some of the more recent stuff I've liked getting cancelled. Symbionic Titan*, Young Justice, and while Atomic Puppet wasn't cancelled, they haven't renewed it in over a year since the last episode. Maybe now that the latter is on Netflix it will get some more attention. Supposedly Young Justice was brought back, but I didn't get to see any of the newer stuff if true.

*They said they couldn't come up with any toys to sell for it.
                    I only saw a few eps of Symbionic Titan. Not enough to decide whether I liked it.

I don't get Netflix. And I'm trying to spend less money, not more, so apparently I won't be seeing any more Young Justice, if and when it does return.

"Too many girls." I can't even... That's just... I mean, it's not like the network was going to catch their cooties through the transmission!

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

... Might see The Happytime Murders if it gets good reviews, but the trailer didn't look that great.
                      Not my cuppa tea, though the "Smile Time" episode of "Angel" was a fun one-off.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                        My personal favorite character of that entire show is Dr. Krieger. "Lo Scandolo," and, "Placebo Effect," are my two favorite episodes.

I... have very mixed feelings about that from the trailer. For one, a buddy-cop Crime Drama involving puppets and humans has appeal to me (I'm totally down with a Who Framed Roger Rabbit caper with puppets), but the trailer makes it seem they're entirely going for below-the-belt humor on this one instead of exploring the whole gamut of comedic potential. And if The Slammin' Salmon has taught us anything, you can't carry a movie on that kind of humor alone.
                        I think Happytime Murders looks dumb. I don't find Melissa McCarthy that funny anyway, and the whole R-rated muppet thing has been done before (and, judging by the trailers, much more offensively).
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          I think Happytime Murders looks dumb. I don't find Melissa McCarthy that funny anyway, and the whole R-rated muppet thing has been done before (and, judging by the trailers, much more offensively).
                          Yeah, it's kind of why I was hoping they'd focus more on the Buddy Cop Crime Drama aspect with some crude/dark humor peppered in... But it looks like it's going to be the other way around.

Also, I'm totally calling it: The Killer is someone who was a fan of their TV show as a kid that found out how sleazy his idols were and is offing them in a deluded effort to preserve his nostalgia... Because it's popular to take pot-shots at those kind of fanboys these days.
                          Last edited by Chaotic Void; 08-20-2018, 10:15 AM.
                          Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment