Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I applied for a concealed carry permit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I don't see the state of denial.
    That would be California.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I don't want to mention my state but you know where I am.
      You should never ask a man where he's from.

If he's from Texas, he'll tell you. If not, you shouldn't embarrass him.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

So Texans must be into humiliating themselves.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I am from Texas, at one time. Just not there now.

Comment

I am from Texas, at one time. Just not there now.
            Texas has got to be Trump's favorite state - everything's YUGE there.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Texas has got to be Trump's favorite state - everything's YUGE there.
              Bigly

Comment

Guess what? I got my license in the mail today. Dang that was fast.

Comment

Guess what? I got my license in the mail today. Dang that was fast.
                  Congrats! Now you have the joy of knowing you can legally use your firearm for defense, but may end up losing your house in a civil suit.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'd suggest one I'm looking at buying myself: the M&P Shield 2.0. A lot of guys at work are buying them for concealed carry. These are guys that own a ton of guns and been shooting for decades in both military and law enforcement. And several have called it the best pistol they've ever owned (I think the other comment was "a real nail driver").

Also, another option: the Springfield XDS. I would have suggested the Ruger as well, since it looks like you're already considering it.

Personally I carry a Springfield XD-Subcompact (.40) or else a Ruger LCP (.380). I used to carry the Springfield all the time, but it's a little large for concealed carry in the summer. I was looking to carry something smaller, so I carry the Ruger all the time now. It's a nice gun, but it sucks to shoot and it's really small. However, that's also the main benefit: it's so small I can hide it on my no matter what I'm wearing and it's still comfortable. My next purchase will be something that splits the difference between what I already have, so the Shield 2.0 or the XDS. Haven't decided yet.

Also, a word on caliber choice: which caliber to carry is obviously a hotly debated topic. But the general sentiment among a lot of people I know used to be .45, and now a several are leaning towards 9mm. There are a lot of new loads out there that really up the performance of 9mm in terms of 'knock-down' power and penetration. Plus, .45 rounds move so slow that they're somewhat prone to bouncing off surfaces they strike at the wrong angle. My personal preference is to opt for more magazine capacity in whatever gun I'm looking at, assuming that if I get into a real shooting my heart rate will go through the roof and I'll probably need the extra rounds.
                    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• Originally posted by myth View Post
                      I'd suggest one I'm looking at buying myself: the M&P Shield 2.0. A lot of guys at work are buying them for concealed carry. These are guys that own a ton of guns and been shooting for decades in both military and law enforcement. And several have called it the best pistol they've ever owned (I think the other comment was "a real nail driver").

Also, another option: the Springfield XDS. I would have suggested the Ruger as well, since it looks like you're already considering it.

Personally I carry a Springfield XD-Subcompact (.40) or else a Ruger LCP (.380). I used to carry the Springfield all the time, but it's a little large for concealed carry in the summer. I was looking to carry something smaller, so I carry the Ruger all the time now. It's a nice gun, but it sucks to shoot and it's really small. However, that's also the main benefit: it's so small I can hide it on my no matter what I'm wearing and it's still comfortable. My next purchase will be something that splits the difference between what I already have, so the Shield 2.0 or the XDS. Haven't decided yet.

Also, a word on caliber choice: which caliber to carry is obviously a hotly debated topic. But the general sentiment among a lot of people I know used to be .45, and now a several are leaning towards 9mm. There are a lot of new loads out there that really up the performance of 9mm in terms of 'knock-down' power and penetration. Plus, .45 rounds move so slow that they're somewhat prone to bouncing off surfaces they strike at the wrong angle. My personal preference is to opt for more magazine capacity in whatever gun I'm looking at, assuming that if I get into a real shooting my heart rate will go through the roof and I'll probably need the extra rounds.
                      Are you left-handed? The gun I am looking for is one that would work good for a left-hander, like having ambi safeties and magazine releases. I know a lot of people don't even want a safety on a gun, but as this is my first handgun, I just feel more comfortable with extra safety features. You can always just leave the safety off on the ruger because it has a trigger safety also like a glock.

on the M&P Shield 2.0 - I did a search on budsgunshop.com and there seem to be a ton of models, which one were you referring to?
                      Last edited by Sparko; 08-19-2018, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• I'm not left handed. My Springfield XD has an ambidextrous magazine release, but my Ruger LCP does not. Looking at pictures online, it looks like the Shield 2.0 (https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-shield-m20-0) does have an ambidextrous magazine release. I understand your caution about having a safety, and it's common for new pistol owners, but it's really not necessary. If that's your preference, then of course that's up to you. Personally, I don't own any pistols with a safety. Let me explain.

The only reason I see for a safety is to prevent an accidental discharge of the weapon. But AD's don't happen randomly. An AD means someone put their finger into the trigger guard and squeezed the trigger. That should NEVER happen unless the person doing the trigger pull wanted things to go 'bang'. Proper weapon discipline means never, ever having one's finger in the trigger guard unless you're aiming at a target and about about to fire. In military and police environments, that's drilled into shooters. With casual shooters, it's a much more casual attitude (and honestly, when I go shooting with friends and family I usually have to correct someone at least once about trigger discipline, which unnerves me).

That said, I carry a gun about 98% of the time when I'm outside my house (literally, if I'm not on Federal property, consuming alcohol, or swimming....I have a gun). I shoot fairly frequently and I've had a decent amount of firearms training, so I'm very comfortable to dealing with weapons and I'm constantly mindful of trigger discipline. I carry a gun because I plan to use it if the situation calls for it. I anticipate such a situation would be rapidly evolving and I'm not confident I would remember to disengage a safety if I had to shoot suddenly.

If you do buy a pistol with a safety, do yourself favor and train in a realistic manner. Every time you draw the pistol in practice, practice turning the safety off just like it would be in a real life scenario. If it's not muscle memory, you won't do it when the time counts. Anyways, hope all my rambling helps you make an informed decision.
                        Last edited by myth; 08-19-2018, 08:48 AM.
                        "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

I'm not left handed. My Springfield XD has an ambidextrous magazine release, but my Ruger LCP does not. Looking at pictures online, it looks like the Shield 2.0 (https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-shield-m20-0) does have an ambidextrous magazine release. I understand your caution about having a safety, and it's common for new pistol owners, but it's really not necessary. If that's your preference, then of course that's up to you. Personally, I don't own any pistols with a safety. Let me explain.

The only reason I see for a safety is to prevent an accidental discharge of the weapon. But AD's don't happen randomly. An AD means someone put their finger into the trigger guard and squeezed the trigger. That should NEVER happen unless the person doing the trigger pull wanted things to go 'bang'. Proper weapon discipline means never, ever having one's finger in the trigger guard unless you're aiming at a target and about about to fire. In military and police environments, that's drilled into shooters. With casual shooters, it's a much more casual attitude (and honestly, when I go shooting with friends and family I usually have to correct someone at least once about trigger discipline, which unnerves me).

That said, I carry a gun about 98% of the time when I'm outside my house (literally, if I'm not on Federal property, consuming alcohol, or swimming....I have a gun). I shoot fairly frequently and I've had a decent amount of firearms training, so I'm very comfortable to dealing with weapons and I'm constantly mindful of trigger discipline. I carry a gun because I plan to use it if the situation calls for it. I anticipate such a situation would be rapidly evolving and I'm not confident I would remember to disengage a safety if I had to shoot suddenly.

If you do buy a pistol with a safety, do yourself favor and train in a realistic manner. Every time you draw the pistol in practice, practice turning the safety off just like it would be in a real life scenario. If it's not muscle memory, you won't do it when the time counts. Anyways, hope all my rambling helps you make an informed decision.
                          Yep I appreciate it. I know mentally I don't need a safety but I still feel uncomfortable carrying one without one right now. I figure it will change later after I develop some good habits. This first gun I am probably going to use mostly at home and target shooting. I don't plan on carrying much at first. And when I do I will probably get a smaller gun that could fit in a pocket holster. At that point I would probably get one without a safety.

I like both the M&P and the XDS. I am heading over to a gun shop later today to look and handle the SR9C and will check out those too. They are a bit more expensive than the SR9C though, at least online. I did see the M&P with a built in green laser which is pretty cool. https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...ce-green-laser

Comment

OK I went out to a few gun stores to check them out.

I didn't quite like the feel of the M&P shield, but I loved the feel of the Springfield XDS. I also looked at a Glock 19 which was pretty nice but bigger than the others. The SR9C also felt nice, but not as nice as the Springfield. The springfield fit my hand better and felt more balanced. But it is more expensive than the Ruger and I think it only holds 8 shot magazines.

I also found out that having the dual mag release is not that important. I have short thumbs and having the release on the right side is still difficult for me to reach with my thumb without shifting my grip. I can just as easily use my index finger of my left hand to pop the magazine out on the left side. The Glock 19 had dual slide releases which to me does make a difference if you have to reload quickly and hit the release with your thumb.

My next step I think, is to go to a range and see if I can try firing them and seeing which one I like best as far as shooting goes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              But it is more expensive than the Ruger and I think it only holds 8 shot magazines.

I'm pretty sure the Ruger LCP (if that's what we're talking about) comes standard with a 6 round magazine, and you can buy an optional 7 round magazine with extended floor plate. If you keep one in the chamber, that's 7 and 8 shots respectively.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                OK I went out to a few gun stores to check them out.

I didn't quite like the feel of the M&P shield, but I loved the feel of the Springfield XDS. I also looked at a Glock 19 which was pretty nice but bigger than the others. The SR9C also felt nice, but not as nice as the Springfield. The springfield fit my hand better and felt more balanced. But it is more expensive than the Ruger and I think it only holds 8 shot magazines.

I also found out that having the dual mag release is not that important. I have short thumbs and having the release on the right side is still difficult for me to reach with my thumb without shifting my grip. I can just as easily use my index finger of my left hand to pop the magazine out on the left side. The Glock 19 had dual slide releases which to me does make a difference if you have to reload quickly and hit the release with your thumb.

My next step I think, is to go to a range and see if I can try firing them and seeing which one I like best as far as shooting goes.
                                All other things being equal, I'd encourage you to buy whichever gun feels better in your hand (and/or which one you shoot better). I'm a big Springfield fan, actually own several. I'd own an XDS, but I bought my other Springfield pistols before the XDS came out, so it wasn't an option. I think the XDS is a nice compromise between a full size gun and something smaller for concealed carry. The only thing I don't like is the magazine capacity (happens in a single stack). But then again, at work I carry a Sig Sauer P220R with an eight round magazine (if I don't want to carry my smaller Springfield XD), so it's not THAT big of a deal.

Comment