Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I applied for a concealed carry permit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I applied for a concealed carry permit

I decided to get a gun for personal protection.

I started the application for a a CCW permit today. I have to go get fingerprinted tomorrow.

I will be shopping for a handgun once I get the permit (about 60 days)

I mostly want it for target practice, but I want something that can stop a person if need be, so 9mm or .45, I am thinking.
    I would like a gun with a safety but that is not a requirement. Also want one I can put a laser sight on, and one that is pretty accurate, so no cheap plastic crap, or something really small and hard to aim. But I want to stay under $300.

Any recommendations?

you can link to online info if you want.

Originally posted by Sparko
    My ears are ringing already.

Enjoy the gun purchase Sparko. I don't have any advice though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I decided to get a gun for personal protection.

I started the application for a a CCW permit today. I have to go get fingerprinted tomorrow.

I will be shopping for a handgun once I get the permit (about 60 days)

I mostly want it for target practice, but I want something that can stop a person if need be, so 9mm or .45, I am thinking.
      I would like a gun with a safety but that is not a requirement. Also want one I can put a laser sight on, and one that is pretty accurate, so no cheap plastic crap, or something really small and hard to aim. But I want to stay under $300.

Any recommendations?

you can link to online info if you want.
      Stay away from Berettas, they stick. My preferences are Sig Sauer or Smith and Wesson. I'll ask my mother what she uses. When I no longer live at the ministry I'm currently working with I plan to reapply for my CCW and replace my last handgun with a .38.
      I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
        Stay away from Berettas, they stick. My preferences are Sig Sauer or Smith and Wesson. I'll ask my mother what she uses. When I no longer live at the ministry I'm currently working with I plan to reapply for my CCW and replace my last handgun with a .38.
        Never had a problem with a Beretta myself

If you don't plan on carrying it a great deal but rather store it in a sock drawer or something similar after the novelty wears off I suggest a revolver. Handguns that sit around for a long time -- especially semi-autos that are kept loaded -- do have a history of malfunctioning (weakened magazine spring from being kept loaded, grit and lint getting into mechanisms... all things that you don't have to worry about with a revolver).

And for stopping power you want a 9mm or larger.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Never had a problem with a Beretta myself

If you don't plan on carrying it a great deal but rather store it in a sock drawer or something similar after the novelty wears off I suggest a revolver. Handguns that sit around for a long time -- especially semi-autos that are kept loaded -- do have a history of malfunctioning (weakened magazine spring from being kept loaded, grit and lint getting into mechanisms... all things that you don't have to worry about with a revolver).

And for stopping power you want a 9mm or larger.
          yeah I am considering a revolver.

I do need a gun that is made for left-handed use or at least ambidextrous.

I kinda like this one. A Ruger SR9c - has ambidextrous safety and magazine release.

--
          I do have a couple of friends who I would probably go target shooting with every month or so. So it wouldn't sit too long in a sock drawer.

https://www.ruger.com/products/sr9c/models.html

But it is a bit expensive ($400+)

ETA: found online for $319 and will ship to local dealer who only charges $10 transfer fee.
          Last edited by Sparko; 08-12-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

yeah I am considering a revolver.

I do need a gun that is made for left-handed use or at least ambidextrous.

I kinda like this one. A Ruger SR9c - has ambidextrous safety and magazine release.

--
            I do have a couple of friends who I would probably go target shooting with every month or so. So it wouldn't sit too long in a sock drawer.

https://www.ruger.com/products/sr9c/models.html

But it is a bit expensive ($400+)

ETA: found online for $319 and will ship to local dealer who only charges $10 transfer fee.
            I love my Ruger Security Six - it was my duty weapon from way back when.

When target practicing, you can pull the trigger back slowly until you feel a little "click" as the firing pin protector plate drops down, then you know you're RIGHT THERE, ready to let one loose.

I just aim "in general' til I feel that click, then steady, zero in on my target, then gentle squeeze.

I have always loved Ruger -- and CZ (Czech) 75
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't care for a revolver for conceal carry...that's my personal choice. I care a Bersa Firestorm in .380 with Gorilla Silverback Ammo. The Silverback ammo is a tad shorter and feeds very reliably in smaller guns.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...rback-9mm-380/

For weight and ease of concealment the .380 and the 9mm are both good size and weight choices. My wife carries a Walther P22 with 1400 fps hollow points. My LEO buddy swears that a .22 high velocity is a very effective round. It's light, easy to conceal and very accurate. I believe we paid around $350 for it...but we have a local pawn shop that sells guns at cost plus, which pretty much always the lowest price around.
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I was watching a shooting review of the Rutger SR9C. I am starting to really like it. It has a lot of safety features, an actual safety that works from both sides, and a magazine safety so it can't fire if the magazine is not inserted even if there is one in the chamber. and whenever there is one in the chamber it has a little popup flag that shows it is loaded. It also has a trigger safety like a glock. the review said it had an excellent trigger for target shooting. and it looked really accurate.

Comment

I was watching a shooting review of the Rutger SR9C. I am starting to really like it. It has a lot of safety features, an actual safety that works from both sides, and a magazine safety so it can't fire if the magazine is not inserted even if there is one in the chamber.
                  That last one is good for a civilian not familiar with firearms, but it can be deadly to a police officer who needs to be able to return fire while changing magazines.

and whenever there is one in the chamber it has a little popup flag that shows it is loaded. It also has a trigger safety like a glock. the review said it had an excellent trigger for target shooting. and it looked really accurate.

I'll have to check that out.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You'd think that any self-respecting pirate would be looking at blunderbusses.

And you don't have to go all 18th century either

Of course they might not be too practical for a CCW You could always convert your peg leg! Kinda sorta like

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      You'd think that any self-respecting pirate would be looking at blunderbusses.

And you don't have to go all 18th century either

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29836[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29837[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29838[/ATTACH]

Of course they might not be too practical for a CCW You could always convert your peg leg! Kinda sorta like

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29839[/ATTACH]
                      I am trying to stay legal.

Although I did see some awesome tactical shotguns:

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        That last one is good for a civilian not familiar with firearms, but it can be deadly to a police officer who needs to be able to return fire while changing magazines.

I'll have to check that out.
                        For me it is a good feature. I will store it in the home with the magazine out. All I have to do is insert the magazine and it is ready to go, but can't be accidentally fired otherwise. Plus the magazine hold 17, so if I am in a fight where I need more than 17, then I am probably in way over my head already.

Comment

This seems to be a class in gun worship for Christians. The NRA has taught you well.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            This seems to be a class in gun worship for Christians. The NRA has taught you well.
                            And this was exactly why this thread should not have been moved to Civics.

Comment

I am trying to stay legal.
                              A legal pirate?

Comment