Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I applied for a concealed carry permit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Remember, slack, stop a squeeze.
    my problem is a not having a steady enough aim - my arms and hand wobble a bit. Trying to center a target that is about 4 inches at 25 yards, just a tiny movement will make your shot wander around. I have been practicing dry firing my gun all week. I got to where I can feel the trigger break, just before it goes off so I was squeezing down to just that point, then trying to hold steady and finishing the trigger pull.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      my problem is a not having a steady enough aim - my arms and hand wobble a bit. Trying to center a target that is about 4 inches at 25 yards, just a tiny movement will make your shot wander around. I have been practicing dry firing my gun all week. I got to where I can feel the trigger break, just before it goes off so I was squeezing down to just that point, then trying to hold steady and finishing the trigger pull.
      Trying to figure out how to describe this in type.....

If you're right handed, with the weapon in your right hand, point "down range", then roll your hand clockwise as far as you can comfortably roll it.... Your elbow should be pointing down, and the inside of your elbow pointing up.... keeping your upper arm in that position, now turn your wrist clockwise, so you're elbow is still pointing down ---- that "locks" your arm straight. Your left hand (wait, you're left handed, yes?) should be "cupped" around your right hand, making sure your left thumb is clear of the slide.

When I first entered competition shooting, a friend of mine showed me this, and it instantly improved my shooting. I've tried showing others, and they either love it or hate it.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Trying to figure out how to describe this in type.....

If you're right handed, with the weapon in your right hand, point "down range", then roll your hand clockwise as far as you can comfortably roll it.... Your elbow should be pointing down, and the inside of your elbow pointing up.... keeping your upper arm in that position, now turn your wrist clockwise, so you're elbow is still pointing down ---- that "locks" your arm straight. Your left hand (wait, you're left handed, yes?) should be "cupped" around your right hand, making sure your left thumb is clear of the slide.

When I first entered competition shooting, a friend of mine showed me this, and it instantly improved my shooting. I've tried showing others, and they either love it or hate it.
        ok thanks.

Comment

Just practice, it will come more naturally as you shoot more.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I may have shared this before....

When I was first dating my (now) wife, I took her to the police range to teach her how to shoot.

I got her all set up in a shooting stall, gave her my Ruger Security Six, and told her, "just go ahead and take a few shots, and I'll watch and give you some pointers".

Her first shot was just outside the bull's eye. Her second shot was a dead-on bull's eye.

I told her, "OK, that's enough for today....."
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

yep. I am out of practice for sure.

I seemed to do better if I just did it quickly without trying to aim so carefully. After a few aimed shots, I just shot as quickly as I could and did pretty good. less thinking, more shooting!

Comment

I seemed to do better if I just did it quickly without trying to aim so carefully. After a few aimed shots, I just shot as quickly as I could and did pretty good. less thinking, more shooting!
                I really miss my police days when all the ammo was free and I was encouraged to qualify at the range. Then I got into competition shooting, more free ammo, but of better quality....

Comment

I really miss my police days when all the ammo was free and I was encouraged to qualify at the range. Then I got into competition shooting, more free ammo, but of better quality....
                  I would like to get into competition shooting. As long as it was local and I didn't have to go up against some of those sharpshooters I see on TV!

I used to go to "turkey shoots" with my dad when I was a kid. Where you shot targets with a shotgun and won turkeys and other prizes. I got pretty good at it. My brother the cop said I shoot better than he does.

Comment

That's instinct shooting.

Years ago a friend and I took his 22. Colt semi-auto out to shoot it in an old building. We taped a paperback book to a wall somewhere between 60 to 80' away and neither of us could hit it. I told him his sights were off which he denied. So I set the pistol on a desk in front of me took a deep breath or two and then grabbed it and fired off half a dozen shots in rapid sequence. Each hit the book (with one cutting a half moon along the outer edge). I told him again that he needed to readjust the sights.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

...less thinking, more shooting!
                      Exactly...
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I told her, "OK, that's enough for today....."
                        Are you saying that your wife shoots better and Sparko the Pirate? Sad...

Comment

Are you saying that your wife shoots better and Sparko the Pirate? Sad...
                          Ever seen the episode of the old Andy Griffith show called "The Perfect Female"? Where Andy got outshot by his new girlfriend at the annual skeet shooting competition.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            That's instinct shooting.

Years ago a friend and I took his 22. Colt semi-auto out to shoot it in an old building. We taped a paperback book to a wall somewhere between 60 to 80' away and neither of us could hit it. I told him his sights were off which he denied. So I set the pistol on a desk in front of me took a deep breath or two and then grabbed it and fired off half a dozen shots in rapid sequence. Each hit the book (with one cutting a half moon along the outer edge). I told him again that he needed to readjust the sights.
                            I just used my pointing finger laid along the slide to point and shoot with. I read somewhere that we have evolved pointing to a fine art, and can do it without even thinking.

Comment

I just used my pointing finger laid along the slide to point and shoot with. I read somewhere that we have evolved pointing to a fine art, and can do it without even thinking.
                              Must be why my wife was so good with her first shots!

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Ever seen the episode of the old Andy Griffith show called "The Perfect Female"? Where Andy got outshot by his new girlfriend at the annual skeet shooting competition.
                                One of my favorites!

Comment