Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Immigration and Stephen Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration and Stephen Miller

This article just popped up on Politico. I found it a powerful read. It concerns the in consistency of Stephen Miller's anti-immigrant stance given his heritage. The same is true for so many. Historically, those who come from immigrant roots tend to be the first to close the doors to other immigrants.

America did not always have this incredibly hostile view towards immigrants. We once welcomed them, recognizing that we are a nation of immigrants: the great American melting pot. I wish we could once again return to that view of immigration.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    This article just popped up on Politico. I found it a powerful read. It concerns the in consistency of Stephen Miller's anti-immigrant stance given his heritage. The same is true for so many. Historically, those who come from immigrant roots tend to be the first to close the doors to other immigrants.

America did not always have this incredibly hostile view towards immigrants. We once welcomed them, recognizing that we are a nation of immigrants: the great American melting pot. I wish we could once again return to that view of immigration.
    Before I spend time reading the article, is he actually "anti-immigration", or is he anti-illegal immigration? That would neither be in consistent [sic] nor hypocritical.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Before I spend time reading the article, is he actually "anti-immigration", or is he anti-illegal immigration? That would neither be in consistent [sic] nor hypocritical.
      A brief scan of the article suggests that the author believes that enforcing immigration laws and being in favor of limited legal immigration is equivalent to being anti-immigration. It's classic liberal equivocation.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        A brief scan of the article suggests that the author believes that enforcing immigration laws and being in favor of limited legal immigration is equivalent to being anti-immigration. It's classic liberal equivocation.
        So, if I got here legally as an immigrant, having spent time and money and patience working the system, I would most certainly be against others "cheating" the system. I would want them to play by the rules.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Miller is clearly both. His comments (and actions) are fairly well known, on both fronts.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Since it appears some of you are reluctant to read it I will quote some very strong parts of it:

They are real people, not the ghoulish caricatures portrayed by Trump. When confronted by the deaths and suffering of thousands our senses are overwhelmed, and the victims become statistics rather than people.
            President Trump wants to make us believe that these desperate migrants are an existential threat to the United States; the most powerful nation in world history and a nation made strong by immigrants. Trump and my nephew both know their immigrant and refugee roots. Yet, they repeat the insults and false accusations of earlier generations against these refugees to make them seem less than human. Trump publicly parades the grieving families of people hurt or killed by migrants, just as the early Nazis dredged up Jewish criminals to frighten and enrage their political base to justify persecution of all Jews.
            As free Americans, and the descendants of immigrants and refugees, we have the obligation to exercise our conscience by voting for candidates who will stand up for our highest national values and not succumb to our lowest fears.
            https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...s-uncle-219351
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Miller is clearly both. His comments (and actions) are fairly well known, on both fronts.
              Examples of his opposition of legal immigration?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Conservatives are not anti-immigration. Just anti-ILLEGAL immigration.

My mom was an immigrant. She came over legally, with a green card. She worked hard to get her citizenship. It was one of the proudest moments of her life.

America was built by immigrants.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                  Since it appears some of you are reluctant to read it I will quote some very strong parts of it:

So, basically another emotional diatribe trying to equate Trump and conservatives with Nazis again by using false equivalencies and outright lies. ho-hum.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post

Like I said, they are lumping everybody who walks across our border into the same "immigrant" category, regardless of whether they came here legally or otherwise, and then claiming that anybody who opposes illegal immigration is therefore "anti-immigrant". It's a classic liberal bait and switch.

You have to ask yourself if someone who has to play such disingenuous word games really has a valid argument to begin with.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

meh

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Conservatives are not anti-immigration. Just anti-ILLEGAL immigration.

My mom was an immigrant. She came over legally, with a green card. She worked hard to get her citizenship. It was one of the proudest moments of her life.

America was built by immigrants.
                        And people who earned their place in line really don't like line-cutters.

Comment

And people who earned their place in line really don't like line-cutters.
                          that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            So, basically another emotional diatribe trying to equate Trump and conservatives with Nazis again by using false equivalencies and outright lies. ho-hum.
                            00000000000000ars1.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Like I said, they are lumping everybody who walks across our border into the same "immigrant" category, regardless of whether they came here legally or otherwise, and then claiming that anybody who opposes illegal immigration is therefore "anti-immigrant". It's a classic liberal bait and switch.

You have to ask yourself if someone who has to play such disingenuous word games really has a valid argument to begin with.
                              That's what many on the left tried to do with MS-13 when Trump called them animals. They tried to equate that to Trump calling all immigrants animals. But they didn't think it through. By doing so they ended up likening all immigrants to MS-13.

Can you say "backfire"?

Comment