Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Immigration and Stephen Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    The people comparing baking same-sex wedding cakes to slavery are conservative Christians, not "the left".
    Yeah, thanks, Roy - I meant abortion -- some of the lefties were comparing anti-abortion to forcing a woman to live in slavery.

That, in my opinion, is a real kick in the teeth to people who actually live, or lived, in slavery.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Triggered much?

If anything it's the left's attempt to compare it to the Holocaust that ought to be offensive. It trivializes the Holocaust
      This appears to be carpe's attempt to put SOMEthing in that empty bubble.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        I have to admit I find the cartoon, and this whole discussion, somewhat offensive. Not personally for me, but for those who suffered during the holocaust.
        In that case, don't you think it would behoove liberals to stop comparing Trump to Hitler and stop comparing enforcing our own immigration laws to the Holocaust?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The people comparing baking same-sex wedding cakes to slavery are conservative Christians, not "the left".
          Well if you use the law to force one man to serve another, well...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Seriously, Carpe, I know you don't mean it this way, but this kinda comes across as "I'm more virtuous than you guys".
            Carp is the virtue signaling champ around here, which I find rather strange for a moral relativist...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Seriously, Carpe, I know you don't mean it this way, but this kinda comes across as "I'm more virtuous than you guys".
              I'm reasonably certain that's exactly how he meant it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Like I said, they are lumping everybody who walks across our border into the same "immigrant" category, regardless of whether they came here legally or otherwise, and then claiming that anybody who opposes illegal immigration is therefore "anti-immigrant". It's a classic liberal bait and switch.

You have to ask yourself if someone who has to play such disingenuous word games really has a valid argument to begin with.
                His simple point is that they are all humans but not described and treated as humans.
                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Yeah, thanks, Roy - I meant abortion -- some of the lefties were comparing anti-abortion to forcing a woman to live in slavery.

That, in my opinion, is a real kick in the teeth to people who actually live, or lived, in slavery.
                  Yes, it is. Comparing cake-making to slavery is an even bigger kick somewhere far more painful.
                  Last edited by Roy; 08-14-2018, 09:57 AM.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Yes, it is. Comparing cake-making to slavery is an even bigger kick somewhere far more painful.
                    Horse hockey. This is like "the first liar doesn't stand a chance".
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                      His simple point is that they are all humans but not described and treated as humans.
                      Phew! What's the smell? Oh, right, it's the begged question fallacy.

Comment

Horse hockey. This is like "the first liar doesn't stand a chance".
                        Looks more like double standards from here.
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Looks more like double standards from here.
                          Of course.

Comment

Phew! What's the smell? Oh, right, it's the begged question fallacy.
                            I somehow knew you would not be able to confront the point. You made a fallacy out of something that certainly is not. But like you did not want to confront family seprations from the perspective of the innocent children you are eager to take focus away here as well.
                            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                              I somehow knew you would not be able to confront the point. You made a fallacy out of something that certainly is not. But like you did not want to confront family seprations from the perspective of the innocent children you are eager to take focus away here as well.
                              I confronted the point by pointing out that it's logically fallacious. In order to overcome your logical fallacy, you need to explain how correctly describing them as illegal immigrants and justly holding them accountable for their crimes makes them somehow less than human. Is a drug dealer or bank robber less than human when we call them criminals and throw them in jail? Of course not. All I see from you is a desperate attempt to focus on the innocent children in order to take the attention away from their not-so-innocent parents.

Comment

In that case, don't you think it would behoove liberals to stop comparing Trump to Hitler and stop comparing enforcing our own immigration laws to the Holocaust?
                                Personally, I think the comparisons of Trump to Hitler are accurate in kind, and inaccurate in degree and context. Trump shows many of the personal characteristic of dictatorial rulers. But he lacks the personal motivation to follow through and is in a context where we have many protections built into our system of government to contain him. It merits watching, but not as much concern as I once had when he was first elected.

I have not seen comparisons of our immigration laws and the holocaust. It is not clear to me how those would even be compared. The general "hatred of other" is similar, I suppose, so perhaps this is another "like in kind but vastly different in degree," but even that is, IMO, a significant stretch.
                                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment