Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

New Mexico Camp for School Shooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    This isn't surprising considering the sharp increase in school shootings over the past few years. Liberals want to blame the guns, of course, but something has to be compelling all these kids to pull the trigger.
    The problem with guns used to attack a person is that it puts distance between the assailant and his victim therefore making defence difficult, making the assailant relatively safe and it hugely amplifies the violence that the assailant can deal out, mostly out of all proportion to his actual grievance.

Spot the odd one out:
    love God, love family, love guns.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

The benefit of guns used to defend oneself from attack is that it allows a person to keep some distance between the assailant and his victim therefore making attack difficult, keeping the intended victim relatively safe without being putting themself at risk of the wanton intended violence that the assailant is intending. Fortunately merely letting the attacker know that his intended victim is armed is usually sufficient to deescalate the situation so nobody, neither the attacker or his victim, ends up getting hurt.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        The problem with guns used to attack a person is that it puts distance between the assailant and his victim therefore making defence difficult, making the assailant relatively safe and it hugely amplifies the violence that the assailant can deal out, mostly out of all proportion to his actual grievance.

Spot the odd one out:
        love God, love family, love guns.
        What weapon gives a women the best chance to defend herself from an attacker twice her size?
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          What weapon gives a women the best chance to defend herself from an attacker twice her size?
          No one would stoop to attacking a woman if she said "no." You can trust firstfloor on this.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            The benefit of guns used to defend oneself from attack is that it allows a person to keep some distance between the assailant and his victim therefore making attack difficult, keeping the intended victim relatively safe without being putting themself at risk of the wanton intended violence that the assailant is intending. Fortunately merely letting the attacker know that his intended victim is armed is usually sufficient to deescalate the situation so nobody, neither the attacker or his victim, ends up getting hurt.
            A stealthy assailant has a huge advantage - surprise. In a surprise attack, you only get to try defence if you are not the initial target. The assailant will usually retreat at the first sign of opposition. So, a defensive weapon nearby may prevent escalation but that is still a poor outcome once shots are fired.

You really do not want to live in a world where people are falsely polite to each other only because they are desperate to avoid extreme violence; everyone going about tooled up.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              No one would stoop to attacking a woman if she said "no." You can trust firstfloor on this.
              Only if done forcibly enough. It might be necessary to either do so while either placing one's hands on your hips, wagging a finger or stomping a foot.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Why are you in that position to begin with? The gun is only defensive if you have time to deploy it. Does your attacker give you adequate warning? Supposing he grabs the gun before you can aim. Now your own gun has doubled your original problem. The answer is not as simple as you think.

Comment

Why are you in that position to begin with? The gun is only defensive if you have time to deploy it. Does your attacker give you adequate warning? Supposing he grabs the gun before you can aim. Now your own gun has doubled your original problem. The answer is not as simple as you think.
                  This is why any person who chooses to carry a deadly weapon should receive adequate training. You might ask Pix if she's had any.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

1. Someone grabbing for your gun is unlikely to be there to just rob you.
                    2. Don’t pull a weapon if you don’t have the follow through to use it.
                    3. Life happens. There’s no such thing as 100% safe. Things can go from great to bad as fast as you can blink.
                    4. Plenty manage to defend themselves, with firearms, every year without a shot being fired. I don’t know the exact number, but I remember it being well over 50,000 cases per year.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      This is why any person who chooses to carry a deadly weapon should receive adequate training. You might ask Pix if she's had any.
                      I am in the military, have shot since I was a teen, and I’m a marksman with the M-16 and M-4. I haven’t got to shoot the M-9 due to my job, but I could get marksman in it too. I wonder if FF would like to share his experience with us.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

A stealthy assailant has a huge advantage - surprise. In a surprise attack, you only get to try defence if you are not the initial target. The assailant will usually retreat at the first sign of opposition. So, a defensive weapon nearby may prevent escalation but that is still a poor outcome once shots are fired.

You really do not want to live in a world where people are falsely polite to each other only because they are desperate to avoid extreme violence; everyone going about tooled up.
                        You have quite the entertaining fantasy life, FF.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Why are you in that position to begin with?
                          Victim blaming? That's a new low for you, floor.

Comment

You have quite the entertaining fantasy life, FF.
                            He's going to post all kinds of studies to back up his assertion, just wait.....

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

[non-PC mode]

A boyfriend.

Though having seen the size of some US gals, some-one twice their size would die of a heart attack before ever being a threat.

[/non-PC mode]
                              Last edited by Roy; 08-16-2018, 09:55 AM.
                              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                A boyfriend.

That's sexist! You will now need to report to the reeducation camp.

Comment