Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

New Mexico Camp for School Shooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Wait, you mean they didn't go around shooting up saloons and having showdowns in the street at high noon?
    IIRC, there is but one historically documented shootout at High Noon: Wild Bill Hickok v. Dave Tutt in Springfield, Missouri on July 21, 1865. As Arizona's official state historian Marshall Trimble so eloquently put it:

Shootouts at high noon, the trademark of western movies, were rare in the Old West. One stood a better chance at seeing horseflies in December

Crime in general (including murder) was much lower than in the large cities back East (especially crime-saturated New York City, which already practiced strict gun control). And daring daytime Bank robberies were also very rare despite movie depictions -- and for good reason. As the James-Younger gang discovered during the 1867 Great Northfield Minnesota Raid (the first daylight bank robbery), most people in the West had easy access to firearms and knew how to use them. When the attempted robbery was discovered, someone ran out into the street yelling, "Get your guns boys! They’re robbing the bank!" The townsfolk grabbed hunting rifles and rifles handed out by the hardware store and the town's people drove off the robbers (three of the gang were killed and all others except Jesse James were wounded).
    Last edited by rogue06; 08-17-2018, 02:48 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      IIRC, there is but one historically documented shootout at High Noon: Wild Bill Hickok v. Dave Tutt in Springfield, Missouri on July 21, 1865. As Arizona's official state historian Marshall Trimble so eloquently put it:

Shootouts at high noon, the trademark of western movies, were rare in the Old West. One stood a better chance at seeing horseflies in December
      I bet they did them AFTER noon. :yes;

Comment

Despite movie depictions life was considerably less violent in the towns and cities of the "wild west" than they were back east where gun control measures were often strictly enforced
        less people per square mile ... you want to justify that thar claim?
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          less people per square mile ... you want to justify that thar claim?
          Ah - I see you are already in the process of doing that ...
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I bet they did them AFTER noon. :yes;
            12:01.

Seriously, most "shootouts" were anything but duels with rules and fair play. And they didn't tend to take place where there would be witnesses. Usually someone bushwhacked their adversary well outside of town.

I can't remember which movie it was where a famous "gunslinger" was being followed by a dime novel writer who wanted to document the former's exploits. He was absolutely mortified to see him shoot someone in the back and expressed his outrage. The gunman looked at him like he was talking to the moron and said in an exasperated tone, something to the effect of "That's the direction that was facing me."

In that case the movie was a lot closer to real life.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

12:01.

Seriously, most "shootouts" were anything but duels with rules and fair play. And they didn't tend to take place where there would be witnesses. Usually someone bushwhacked their adversary well outside of town.
              You mean just like today?

Comment

I can't remember which movie it was where a famous "gunslinger" was being followed by a dime novel writer who wanted to document the former's exploits. He was absolutely mortified to see him shoot someone in the back and expressed his outrage. The gunman looked at him like he was talking to the moron and said in an exasperated tone, something to the effect of "That's the direction that was facing me."
                Unforgiven?
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  Unforgiven?
                  Don't think so.

Comment

"That's the direction that was facing me."
                    Reminds me of Rooster Cogburn being grilled by the lawyer...

Lawyer: I believe you testified you were backing away from old man Warden.
                    Rooster: Yes sir.
                    Lawyer: Which direction were you going?
                    Rooster: Backwards! I always go backward when I'm backing away!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

00000000000000arb1a1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        When she switches to decaf, maybe.
                        While your country is under attack, as it now is, I think it is your patriotic duty to stay informed by listening cafefully to Rachel Maddow every day. I do and I am not even a US citizen.
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          While your country is under attack, as it now is, I think it is your patriotic duty to stay informed by listening cafefully to Rachel Maddow every day. I do and I am not even a US citizen.
                          So you listen to political pundits and take them seriously? That explains your skewed view of reality.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            You're cute.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment