Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Good Sources for Lay Readers

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Did you want commentaries, greek references, overview of NT, overview of NT, pauline epistles, or eschatology?
    stuff that the layperson can use easily without having to know languages . Historical stuff would be good too....
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

You might try An Introduction to the New Testament by Carson and Moo

I was reading this:
      An Introduction to the New Testament: Contexts, Methods & Ministry Formation by deSilva

And for Paul's writings I read:
      Rediscovering Paul by Capes and others

These last two were a bit too basic for me but might be helpful to others. Also, these often emphasized New Perspective of Paul which may have messed up things as much as it helped.

These all would require at least a knowledge of English.
      Last edited by mikewhitney; 08-14-2018, 03:32 PM.

Comment

The New King James has New Testament notes regarding most of the variant readings of note. The foot note would have either NU or M or both.
        N is for the Nestle Aland Greek New Testament reading, the U is for the United Bible Society New Testament reading. The M is for what was being regarded as the Majority Greek text reading. One does not need to know Greek to use this.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

I have appreciated the teaching of Steve Gregg. I've probably not heard the latest versions available now but suspect they are as similar to what he had taught before.

http://www.thenarrowpath.com/

The topical study on Isaiah was a big help to see the broad patterns going on.

You can try printing the audio files if you like.
          Last edited by mikewhitney; 08-15-2018, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
            You can try printing the audio files if you like.

Comment

I have a parallel Bible with NIV and the Message. There are footnotes about variants in the NIV side. Message has none about the Johnanine Comma, but I do enjoy the different expression the Message gives.

I would say every Christian must have a Bible with notes as discussed here, and perhaps some historical background as well.

Comment

Thee, thy, thou and thine. Translations which use old English singular pronouns, are useful in that one does not need to know the Hebrew or the Greek to know the individual is being addressed and when the plural pronoun is being used.

The ten commandments are addressed to the individual.

The seven letters to the seven churches are addressed to each angel [messenger] of those churches.

When Jesus addresses Nicodemus, addresses him as an individual, switches to plural when He says, "You must be born over." That everyone must be born over. See NIV note on this.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                  I have a parallel Bible with NIV and the Message. There are footnotes about variants in the NIV side. Message has none about the Johnanine Comma, but I do enjoy the different expression the Message gives.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X